DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You almost can't believe this: Solido seems to be more accurate than AutoArt!!!
Solido has endless varieties on the Peugeot 206 WRC, and have ALL the specific differences on them. I have the 2000 Marcus Grönholm version. It's not very different from the 1999 version I believe, only the sponsor scheme difers. The steering wheel is bare (no shifter and handbrake rings). Five spoke rims + asphalt wheels, accurate front bumper with "old style" "smile"-air intake (low, sharp corners), big lamp posts beside it. They also make the 2001-version in blue, with different (8-spoke if I'm not mistaken) and the before mentioned steering wheel rings.
The 2002 version they make has also these rings, the casual 5-spoke rims again, BUT a new front bumper with a bigger air intake and lower lamp mounting posts beside it, and last but not least a Virtual Spectator cam on the roof, beside the driver air intake. Also it has a different intake system in the front hood.
The 2003 version has the new sponsor scheme of course, the same front bumper again (which is accurate), and a new rear spoiler, which is differently formed and has those stabilising air splitters on it.
Last version I saw is the 2002 version which competited in the Safari Rally. I was especially happily surprised that they have taken the effort to raise the car on its wheels. It has the usual rough gravel wheels, the VS cam on the roof, four rubber antennas which differ in height, and the big snorkle leading from the bonnet u to the roof. A bull bar is missing, but the original car didn't have one either, so that's accurate.
NOTICE that detail on Solidos are not as good as AUTOart's... But this topic is for accuracy and not for manufacturing precision...
Here are following some sample pics:

1999:

2000 (private car):

2001 (private car):

2002:

(private car)

2003:

And last but not least:
The 2002 Safari version :angel: :

As for AutoArt:
2001 versions are the same, but with slighly different sponsor schemes.
2002 versions are the same as 2001 but with different front bumpers, front air intakes not very well formed. Same interior as 2001, including the fact that the steering wheel rings are missing in all four available versions.
VS cam missing, too less antennas on both 2002 versions.
Panizzi Tour de Corse version most accurate, with early rear spoiler which is accurate (introduced in Safari 2002, Tour de Corse was before Safari).
Grönholm New Zealand version is highly incorrect:
Gravel wheels are accurate, but mud flaps are missing. Still early rear spoiler. Again no VS cam, and again too less antennas.
AUTOart Peugeot 206 WRC 2001

2002:

All I can conclude is that Solido does its homework way better than AUTOart!!!
Cheers Solido!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Note again, AAs are way better detailed, but here I'm speaking about historical accuracy!
BTW, all changes are also on the 2001 to 2003 versions of Solido's Citroën Xsara WRC...

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Thats is a very good report :jk:

How would you rank the details on the Solido?
Is it comparable to the Maisto race cars?
I want one of these and I can't decide which way to go :? :cry:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Max! :mrgreen:
I would rank the Solido Peugeot quite high for the price. The detail is very good, in spite of the unopenable trunk. The front looks not very good either. But overall it is really worth the price :angel: You can't go wrong with it.
But if you'd go for detail, I'd go for the AUTOart... :oops:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Indeed, Soildo have improves on their models in details and quality

I've one of this Peugeot 206 WRC. To me it's better than Maisto ;-)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:iagr:
The detail is pretty good. Not as detailed as AUTOart's, but the model looks very good as it is. Everything that really belongs there, is there.
I really hadn't expected that a manufacturer like Solido makes all different variations with all body differences that belong there. I was very happily surprised when I saw that. I think I'm going for another 206, but I'm not sure which one, either the AUTOart 2002 NZ version (I'll have to make a few things on it myself) or the Solido Safari version.
I prefer the Solido, because I think it really isn't possible for the money you have to pay for an AUTOart, that some essential parts just are MISSING! I think that an AUTOart really should be historically accurate. You can say that I'm just picky, but for about €70, I expect all essential details on a model, and not have to build them myself!
But, same as with my Diablo GTR, I'll probably still buy it :x ...
I always fall for the detail when I see the model, and then I don't see the flaws anymore :cry: :cry: :cry:

G

·
I always fall for the detail when I see the model, and then I don't see the flaws anymore :cry: :cry: :cry:
:iagr: That is so true. For me quality trumps accuracy - nobody's perfect, right.
:mrgreen:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts