DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Oak244
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I along with many other Exoto Fans like the Standox Colors. I was wondering though... Were these real colors, or just a way for Exoto to sell more cars as they are decent eye candy. I have the Interlagos Fire Porsche 934RSR and really like it. However I am not a real fan of buying cars, that were not sold originally in 1:1 scale the same way. However since I had a Black 934, and got the good deal on the Interlagos, I went for it. Can anyone give some info on how the Standox cars came about? Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
As far as i'm conerned Standox is a company on her own, but Exoto using standox for the specialty of some of the models.
They're using some of their colours on 1:1 cars.
Check their official site for more informatin - link.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm pretty sure there was never a 934 or Sauber C9 1:1 released in Standox, but maybe Sir Gary or one of the otehr p-nuts can tell you for sure.

Having said that, they do look very cool though and they are something new and different to add to a collection.

Mark

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
You hit it right on the nose, these cars (just like the "Pure Line" aluminum-looking replicas of fibreglass-bodied cars) never existed in a 1:1 version. Exoto was just tapping into a market to move more product.

Me, I like mine with numbers on them, as close to real as possible (and affordable).

:mine

·
Registered
994 Posts
Personally I love my Standox Sauber :danbana Don't care if it existed in 1/1 if it looks awesome, like some of the Standox models. However, if a model represents a car that does exist in 1/1 (a racing livery), I would like it to be as accurate as possible...

G

·
I have the Corvette GS in Suzuka Sun and the Monza Red 641/2 and they are great! Every time I glance at my collection they stand out. They are like eye candy. Just the fact that they never get boring for me says alot.

·
Oak244
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I agree, My Standox car is awesome and I almost like it better then the Black one I have, at least as far as cool points go. However, I wish they did not cost so much. I am willing to spend good money on a very well detailed 18th scale version of a real 1:1 car, the way it was produced by the factory in the year it was made. For eye candy, I would rather spend under $100.. if you know what I mean. I personally wish Exoto would use that mold with slight alterations to make more very detail 1970's Porches, instead of the constant release of the same car in more colors. Even the slightest body change will intise me to buy another, but more then a few of the same car at $100-$300 a car is just not worth it to the average paid collector.

Of course not to offend anyone.. If I was a Millionaire I would buy every Exoto made. But since I am on a limited budget, I like to keep a hold of the direction my collection goes. And aftermarket modded cars do not fit the bill. :giggle

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I fully agree with ibj40 in that I much prefer cars in real colors and liveries. However, I also greatly respect great sports cars and finelly detailed models. I have 3 Exoto Standox models and I like their colors, but the real reason I have them rather than the normal models is the price. A couple weeks ago, the Exoto weekly special was a list of Standox models for less than $100 each. Further, the Standoxs are cheaper everywhere. So, while I may prefer the real ones, I don't prefer them for twice the price!

Just call me cheap! :tease

G

·
The Standbox colors are some of the most beautiful colors to ever grace a model.

But I understand the argument based on the consideration of realism.

G

·
The standox colours are awesome. I have seen a number of cars (real ones) with the standox paint, they are a beauty.

On the other hand, I do not like them on some scale models. They look great, but it never existed. I prefer a model in real race trim or prototype colour rather than in imaginative standox one.

It all comes down to taste and priorities in the end.

G

·
Oak244 said:
My Standox car is awesome and I almost like it better then the Black one I have, at least as far as cool points go. However, I wish they did not cost so much.
:iagree Some Standox cars looks fantastic. And yeah, I wish they didn't cost so much as well.

It's tough to pull the trigger because on one hand, it's a beautiful & unique colour. But on the other, you hear yourself saying - "But it's a fantasy car. Save your money for a production replica". :tempted

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think the standox as it's ups and downs. I don't mind what the 1:1 had, to me it just depends on how it looks now. In some cases the standox looks a little silly. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome and unique color. I just choose colors that fit the car and can bring about more detail and contrast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.