DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have just recieved this "tired" F150 truck!! I am going to customise it with the following:

Fender flares (rear)
Big rear, small front pro stock type wheels
working custom rear suspension
not sure about front suspension, maybe Mustang?
Custom interior (leather seats, carpet)
Repaint (not sure about colour yet, maybe BRIGHT GREEN/YELLOW!!!)
Possibly a custom chassis too.
New Engine.....427 maybe or blown Chevy or possibly a new HEMI?

Anyway, I thought I could post picts as I go, starting with the starting point and cutting the rear fenders off to widen them.

Got this truck from a friend in my model club, rear wheel broken, it had been stored in his garage and it even had vines growing on it. Looks quite weathered and I thought of leaving it as is, but I have wanted to get one of these for a while so I just went for it!!!

Cutting off the fenders. I am going to widen the fenders by about 7 inches. I marked out the cut line with masking tape then cut along the line with a hacksaw.

Side view

Then I had to cut out the sides of the bed to fit the wheels in. I marked it out again with masking tape (Tamyia Masking tape 6 mm), and the used a drill to put holes in it so I could fit the hacksaw blade in. The I cut as much as I could.

I then used my drill agin to put holes into the side of the bed so that I could bend the piece I had cut so that it broke where I wanted it to. This left me with the hole for the rear wheels. Then I used a metal file to smooth out the edges.

Pict showing the wheels I am going to use.

I will post some picts of how I will fill out the fenders tomorrow.

Peter

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another update for you all.

How to flare the rear fenders.

Above picts show how I have cut them. I am adding 1cm of width to the fenders. I glued on some thin brass sheeting to support the new material then glued on 1cm wide plastic rod to brace the gap. I have then glued the outer part of the fender on. The next step is to fill the gap with steel putty then file and sand it to shape. I think the wheels will look great too (see the last pict). They are fomr a 1/24th Muscle Machine.

Peter

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Looking good so far!!! Love the choice of wheels!

Sean

G

·
This is gonna be good! In fact it's good now!

BTW, what's that scrummy looking thing in the background of the last pic. Look forward to hearing (and hopefully seeing!) it.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I wondered if anyone would spot that! Its something I started working on a while ago (couple of years ago!!). I had a "second hand" Anson Bugatti EB110 and a "spare" Mercedes M class...........

Have you ever seen the Renault Espace F1? It's a people mover with an F1 car chassis and engine. So that was the inspiration for the "scrummy looking thing"! I I will get some more picts for you if you like. I am trying to get back into it to get it done.

Peter

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Filled in the fenders tonight. I am using an epoxy/metal blend that comes in a stick which you cut off a piece and then nead until it is mixed up then you have about 5 minutes to use (its like a dough). It sets like steel (ie hard) so I will be filling away over the weekend!!!

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.