DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's today's stupid topic, in case u missed one and needed some loughs! :giggle

It's a question that's been popping up in my mind lately every time I look at my boxed models: why are almost all 1/18 diecast models packed in display boxes facing left with their front end?! :confused Could it have something to do with LHD (you have to admit most of 'em are left hand drive ones...)?

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
It's because... umm...

I DEEM IT SO! :giggle

Seriously though, for the Autoart window boxes, it makes sense to me, since they're sloped downwards to the left, so it makes sense to put the front end to the left.

For other (e.g. styrofoam and nonsloped boxes), I guess it's because many countries are reading from left to right, so it's better to put the front of the model on the left... :confused

G

·
how many of your cars do you display the same way?
i 'd bet quite a few.........you could answer your own question possibly :cheers

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
That's a good question. I'm sure some time ago some where, some one did a research on how to best display the model. Or, maybe not. :giggle

To me, the current standard is great. When I sketch anything with clear directional value, my objects are always facing left on the paper. That's how I am wired, and that's how I see things naturally. :happy

G

·
Personally I have no idea why models are displayed on thei left hand side. It sounds like a good question to ask Denis from AUTOart.

:cheers

G

·
I think bburago or some other company that was here when this hobby started did this that way..... and so everybody else just did it that way afterwards.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Guess all model makers are fans of the Pet Shop Boys. 'Go West' was one of their hit numbers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Some of the replies were funny, but you cracked me up! Just thinking about their video makes me laugh, for some reason. Those mushroom hats... I can almost see them holding a diecast towards west! :lol

As for drawing, I have noticed that about myself aswell! Usually, I love drawings mechs and I always seem to start from the left! :confused I have tried different starting points and it just seems unnatural!

Gary: Yup, you might have a point with reading from left to right! In this case, I should ask Nadav if the first thing he sees in a boxed model is the rear end! :giggle

:cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts