DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know I'm 'fixing' up my UT Mercedes C36 model. I want to put in a rear sunshade in. So I used some screening (used for windows, inclosing an outside porch, etc.), doesn't work out. It's too shiny (pic below). Anyone have any suggestions on what else I could use?

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
What about some fiberglass screen.
It is easy to work with and won't have a shine to it.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Max Power said:
What about some fiberglass screen.
It is easy to work with and won't have a shine to it.
I don't know how it would come out as a sun shade, but I can atest that it's really easy to work and totally dull.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
How about using really fine grit sandpaper (600 or higher) ?? :confused I'm really making a wild guess here.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here's an idea from a Photoshop guy. If you can get your self a piece of overhead transparency (like what they use in school for the over head) and use a photo editing program like Photoshop to print a grid pattern on it (in my attached version I used a 3 pixel by 3 pixel pattern). I tried printing the pattern on my inkjet and it comes out perfectly. You could even tint it as needed.

Just an idea :cheers :cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions.

One is to get some sheer black fabric from a fabric store. Use eithe super glue or clear nail polish around the edges of the shade to keep the fabric from fraying when you cut it.

Alternatively, you could replace the fabric above with sheer stockings or pantyhose. The stretchability (is that a word?) of the fabric will let you customize the transparency to a degree. The trick here is to keeping it stretched.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
boedan430 said:
Fiberglass screen: is it black, or would I have to paint it? Where can I get this stuff?

I want to stay away from painting because there's probably a good chance the paint will block some of the holes
If you need some screen PM me and I will send you some in black and grey.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are really good ideas (except for the sandpaper :teasing ). The over head projector clear sheet seems like an easy task to handle (plus I don't have to go buy some pantyhose :p), so I will try that first. I think AutoArt does the same thing, but user real (hard/thick) plastic! I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Max Power said:
boedan430 said:
Fiberglass screen: is it black, or would I have to paint it? Where can I get this stuff?

I want to stay away from painting because there's probably a good chance the paint will block some of the holes
If you need some screen PM me and I will send you some in black and grey.
Max, do you have a picture of the stuff? I really don't know what it looks like :confused

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Its just bug screen from a window or porch.
I will try to get a pic tomorow.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
boedan430 said:
Those are really good ideas (except for the sandpaper :teasing ).
Oops, I guess my idea got :badidea At least I now know what NOT to do. :lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
calgary7er said:
Here's an idea from a Photoshop guy. If you can get your self a piece of overhead transparency (like what they use in school for the over head) and use a photo editing program like Photoshop to print a grid pattern on it (in my attached version I used a 3 pixel by 3 pixel pattern). I tried printing the pattern on my inkjet and it comes out perfectly. You could even tint it as needed.

Just an idea :cheers :cheers
:cool1

That's a great idea C7!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thinking that I might try it on my Maisto S-Type Jaguar instead of something more expensive like my AUTOart CL600. I will post some pics when it is done.....good or bad :cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts