DiecastXchange Forum banner

Taking Exoto questions now...

18K views 87 replies 35 participants last post by  jimsta10 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Please post here your questions that you may have for Exoto and once I setup an interview w/their president I will make sure to ask him and let you know.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been waiting for a decent replica of the Ford GT 40, the Mk 1 if you want to call it. I have an Exoto Sebring Mk II and a very poorly made Universal Hobbies Mk II and I have two Exoto Mk IV's. I consider these Exotos' the jewels of my collection. Before you revamped your website, you had a facility to let buyers make requests for new models and you even indicated that a Mk 1 was in Exoto's future. A Jouef Evolution Mk 1 in Gulf colours 1966 Le Mans winner is THE best that I have been able to find. I can't understand why Exoto chose to start with the Mk II. Does Exoto have any plans to replicate the Ford that started it all? Because I think I speak for all Ford GT enthusiasts when I say it's time we had a decent Ford GT 40 replica! PLEASE, make us happy like it was Christmas in July....even though it's really October.

PS. And if you could manage a Lola GT, the precursor to the Ford GT, it would be real sweet.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I pre-ordered a 1966 Ford GT40 MKII (Winner, 1966 Le Mans 24 Hours, Amon*/McLaren) back in January of 2005!! My credit card got charged for it last July 2008 and I have still yet to recieve it. Whats the deal Exoto!!?? I think we customers are due at least periodic updates or at the very least, our cards should not be charged until the model is ready to ship. Cleary this item was not ready at the time I was charged. Please let us know when these will finally be shipped.

I also pre-orderd an Aston Martin Vanquish 2 years ago. This model has been advertised since 2003!! When if ever will this be available?

Just a little periodic communication between Exoto and its paying customers would be much appreciated.

G
#5 ·
Why do you ruin your reputation by screwing over customers, double charging credit cards for on line transactions, then denying it happened, refusing to accept the responsibliy that it could have accidentally happened, until the victim provides you with written proof that there were in fact two separate but identical charges for the same item at two different times. This after accusing the buyer of ordering twice then realizing that you only show one transaction (yet you process something on line, then have one of your co-conspirtors call the victim and get the CC card info a second time)

Never apologizing, treating the person very rudely, violating every principle of proper customer service and treatment imaginable!!!

For a company with such high quality models marketed to what one would expect would be a reasonably demanding clientel, it seems utterly stupid and moronic to have such rude, horrid customer service.

Sadly I've read on this forum that I'm not the only potential victim of your various attempts to screw your customers.

I love your products, but find your staff's moral values to be abhorant! I will only buy from someone not affiliated with your outfit, preferably 2nd hand so you don't gain any addtional benifits.

Sorry to be so harsh, but sadly completely factual and earned! Very sad considering the quality of your products.

#12 ·
I can't discuss this now as it might sound like advertising what I do in diecast business, so that I'll wait till I talk to Justin about sponsoring, etc... then you will get your answer.

#8 ·
Why does it take so long for you (Exoto) to release models that you have anounced? Where is my Chaparral 2J I paid for two years ago? Repaints why so long in being produced, Ford GT 40 MkII #6 or Porsche 917/30 Bosch for example? and why did you make such a pigs ear off the CAM2 closed circuit record car? That will do for now.

#10 ·
Where is my free GT40MKIV that you promised me for screwing with my CC over the MKIV #1?
Oh, thats right, only 2 people got one and they happen to write reviews over at Diecast.org.
Guess I am not in the right club, I'm just a customer errrr ex-customer.

G
#15 · (Edited)
How does Exoto see the future of diecast/scale models (Concerning developments in manufacturing techniques, materials, level of detail, assortment, etc.) and what are Exoto's first priorities?

How will Exoto continue to distinguish itself from other diecast manufacturers (such as CMC, BBR, GMP, AUTOart, Kyosho, etc.)?

Exoto produces "high-end" models which aren't exactly cheap. What kind of (after sales) service can a customer expect when they buy such relatively expensive Exoto products?

#20 ·
Would this be SilverArrow in a new ID?
Good questions though. Would love to see how each and every query raised here is answered! If it was the Maisto CEO, I would definitely have a lot of questions to ask. Thanks for the initiative McLaren.

#22 ·
Simply not in both of our life times.

Thank you guys and gals, very interesting questions. Keep them coming.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I subscribe to the Exoto email updates and sales events. It seems like I've been getting notifications every other day for the past three or four months. Announced models that never materialize, pre-paid order for models that don't materialize and from the sound of it the type of customer service that made me drop Exoticar from my diecast bookmarks. I have to say that my own dealings with Exoto have never resulted in a problem. They sell extremely high quality products but I have never paid their extremely high prices directly or indirectly. But there seems to be a problem. Is Exoto on the ropes and scrambling to keep its customer base? They're not doing such a good job of it.

#19 ·
There were some highly desirable vintage sports racers announced in the November 2003 paper catalog. These include the Jaguar D-Type, the Aston Martin DBR1, and the Ford GT Mk I. The market for a long nose Jag D-type seems to be high based on what used Autoart short nose cars are selling for. Does Exoto ever intend to produce the D type Jag? If so, when? If not, why?

#23 ·
I am not much of a Exoto or CMC follower and not even aware of what their latest offerings are. I would definitely like to know why both of them offer similar models like the Sharknose Ferrari. How big is the market out there for both of them to make similar models and make a killing.

#25 ·
I don't know what it is with the Shark Nose. It doesn't fit in with my Ferrari collection which is coupes and convertibles. But I was getting sick of hearing about it. For almost a month during the summer I was getting notifications that it was in and then it was on sale and then it was bundled with this or that and that the sale was almost over and then it was extended a week yada yada yada bla bla bla.

G
#26 ·
Some more questions:

Is Exoto's president also a diecast collector?

If so, what does he enjoy about collecting and what does his collection consist of?

If not, why not?

What motivates Exoto to make the models they make?

If Exoto could expand it's selection of models, which direction/field would (the president of) Exoto prefer to expand to?

What is the most difficult element of making accurate diecast models?

#28 ·
when do think the 956 rothman, set and the Newman car predicted release, and why when you set a payment plan, do they call and request , pay pal, american express, or check for their products now, from reading some of these coments from other member , as a new collector , i purchase 5 models on the payment plan , i am concern i am going to get screwed by them. why did, e-bay suspend there account? i love those models, the quality is superior, but hearing these customer service stories , they need to make things right in order to rebuild their credability with in the community of collectors .

#29 ·
when do think the 956 rothman, set and the Newman car predicted release, and why when you set a payment plan, do they call and request , pay pal, american express, or check for their products now, from reading some of these coments from other member , as a new collector , i purchase 5 models on the payment plan , i am concern i am going to get screwed by them. why did, e-bay suspend there account? i love those models, the quality is superior, but hearing these customer service stories , they need to make things right in order to rebuild their credability with in the community of collectors .
No joke!
I had forgotten all about that! I'd also like to have the Newman car. Okay, okay I'd love to have the Newman car. But not at retail and not from Exoto!

#30 ·
Oh here's one. I wanted to order a L322 Schuco firetruck from your webstore. I called the ordering place and they said they only take American Express and not Visa because the Visa machine broke, and the phone lady told me that it has been broken for over a month. She also explained how she is missing out on commission on lots of orders because many customers call her with Visa cards. Why do you not get your credit card system fixed so that your employees can earn the money they should be earning/ making it more inconvenient for the customer to spend their money on your website? Sometimes, it's easier for people to call in rather than paying via the website.

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
I copy this from a consumer complaint site.

Exoto Models Rip Off on Refund

Exoto 1/18 scale model cars
Exoto, Inc
Exoto Inc
Attn: Tony Keusseyan
5440 Atlantis Court
Moorpark, CA, 93021-7101
USA
Moorpark, Ca 93021-7101
CA
exoto.cam

Exoto 1/18 scale automobile models rip-off Canadian consumers. I have been writing and phoning them to get a refund for a defective model for over a year. They keep stalling so now I cannot get a refund from the credit card company as too much time has elapsed.

I have supplied them with all documents and they keep stalling.

The model I ordered came shipped by UPS. It came COD for extra charges I had not agreed to, so I refused delivery and UPS has returned the merchandise to the seller.

They acknowledge receipt of the return and promised a speedy refund to my Visa account. I have spoken to them after each of my Visa statements arrived and they promised the credit would be on my next statement. This has been going on since last June. I phone them, they make promises but still no credit.

The merchant is: Exoto Inc

5440 Atlantis Court

Moorpark, CA, 93021-7101

Phone: 1-800-872-2088

This is the timeline of this dispute.

May 21/08

� Order placed for a car model, cost US$177.60

� They ship order

May 27/08

� Order arrives via UPS with COD for $21.18 for brokerage

� I had asked order to be mailed not sent UPS

� Model was defective

June 9/08

� Phoned Exoto, customer service rep, Shane

� I told him I did not want a replacement as quality was poor

� He said to ship model back and they would credit my Visa acct

� Ship model back via Canada Post Expedited Service with Tracking number

� June 20/08 Post office delivers returned model to them

June 27/08

� Exoto ships replacement without consulting me, against my express conversation with Shane on June 9/08

July 15/08

� UPS attempts deliver with COD fee.

� I refuse to accept package

� UPS ships package back to Exoto

August 10/08

� UPS returns package to Exoto

Aug 12/08

� Phone Exoto, speak to Shane

� He says credit will be on my next Visa statement

Sept 22/08

� No credit on Visa statement

� Leave voice mail message for Tony, company manager

Oct 14/08

� Phone Exoto, speak to Shane

� He says credit should have been on Sept statement, will check with their accounting dept, credit will be issued within a week

� Accountant was sick

� Will phone me back when credit posted

� No call back

Nov 21/08

� Phone Exoto, still no credit, speak to Shane

� He says credit should have been issued, he will speak with manager Tony and get it processes ASAP

Dec 22/08

� Phoned Exoto, Shane is off sick, on one else can deal with matter

� Leave voice mail message for Tony (manager) recapping the problem

Dec 23/08

� Phoned Extoto, Shane is sick, no one else can deal with refunds they say

Jan 23/09

� Phoned Exoto, Shane not available today

� Left voice mail message about the delays for Tony the manager

� No response

Feb 09

� Numerous letters go unanswered

March 09

More letters and phone calls go unanswered.

So in short, I acted in good faith with this company. They have their product back, I never accepted delivery and I am out US$177.60.

I realize that this dispute has dragged on excessively, but I believed they were sincere just inept at accounting matters. Each time I phoned, I was told the credit would be on my next statement but it never came. I now believe that they are dragging this out indefinitely with no intention of a refund.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.