DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a few of the regulars in the MotorCycle forum maybe aware, I mainly collect 1:12 Minichamp motorcycles. Looking at my collection the other day, before pondering bidding on a 1:6 Minichamps Motorcycle, I looked at most of them and wondered if I'd miss them if they were gone.

I wouldn't. I'd largely collected models for the sake of collecting them, rather than actually WANTING them in my collections.

I've decided to trim. Most, bar my Rossi models, will be for sale.

I opened by 3 1:18 Mnichamp RS500s I had still in box, and put them at pride of place on a display cabinbet, which was full of bikes up to now. Looking good...

I've looked at the Le Mans classics like the AUTOart 787B, The Exoto C9 and XJR for sometime now. I don't want a big collection. I want a few key 1:18 pieces that I will enjoy, surrounded, perhaps by a few different edition 1:43s. I want a rounded collection of scales, brands, and focus's. [Foci? ;)]

I know a fair amount about AUTOart, but Exoto is a brand new to be, indeed, discovering all about it here at DX. I'm mainly concerned about the price. I see people mentioning picknig them up at a 'good' price - what is a good price for an Exoto? They're £130GBP on their site, sans shipping, and I'm guessing theyre' an American company. A UK online site has them for £150, sans shipping.

I'm ideally after the 63, or at a push 61 Michelin Sauber C9 to start with. Do I hunt Ebay? What is an acceptable price to pay for these models? Or will I only find them at RRP everywhere?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Where do I start. in my opinion it is impossible to say what is a good price for an Exoto.

For certain they are some of the best 1/18 diecast models you can buy, especially cars like the C9. I can confidently say that by and large you will not be at all disappointed with the detail of the models.

However, they are vastly more expensive than most other 1/18s, whether you buy from either Exoto direct or other sellers. The people that picked them up at a 'good price' often did it some months/years ago, or took advantage of the bundle/special offer prices that Exoto sometimes offer to make the prices almost bearable!

It is always worth shopping around but Exotos simply don't crop up on ebay in their hundreds like other brands do, and very often they command prices close to the RRP anyway, due to their desirability and in some cases rarity. The market will set the price of a model, and if people are willing to pay the money Exoto asks, then the models are not going to be available for much less unless you happen to be very lucky.

As for what is an acceptable price, I think that's a personal thing. A diecast can only be so good, and there are models that will come close to Exoto in my opinion for less money, the 787B being one. So for me it comes down to how much I'm willing to pay for a model not because of it's detail but because I love the subject matter. And that can only be decided by you.

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wise words.

I've not seen a Michelin C9 come up on UK ebay before. There's a few US sellers with them, but, when you put shipping into account, it gets close to RRP. As for the price - I'm happy paying close to Exotos price. I guess I can just shop around, wait and see what comes up. I'm not after a massive collection, so am happy paying a premium for a quality product.

[I've seen the 'finishing line' $500 versions - they look incredible, but what a price!]

To me, rare is a 7000 piece edition Rossi bike. Some of the Exotos have nuder 1000 pieces, and given their quality as well, equates to them being sort after I guess.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The finish line versions are indeed particularly expensive and often very limited. 7000 is quite a generous limited edition of any model. The standard Sauber C9 #63 is limited to 1989 pieces I believe (the year that it won Le Mans), and the finish line version with 'race damage' is limited to just 24!!

G

·
Bubbles,

I was in a similar situation as you a few months ago - I parted ways with all of my 1:12 GP and street bikes as the appeal and allure had faded for some reason - still not sure why.

This allowed me to concentrate on some other areas in my collection as I saw fit.

Exoto is by far one of the top brands on market as far as product quality, details and even subject matter. When I say top brands, I am saying #1 or #2 in that regards, depending on how you look at them.

Unfortunately for them, they are not famous for their product line, but moreso for their unprofessional and poor customer service(alledgedly).

You will not be disappointed in their product and that goes with out saying.

As for where to shop, I would certainly look at eBay - they also sell on eBay as well. As someone mentioned earlier about the coupons, thats an alternative. But I do believe the coupons are limited to certain models at the time.

Some of their models on eBay seem to be a good deal too.

Good luck and let us know how you come out on this.

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, so I'm not the only one then? I've 16 bikes I don't really care for that much. I enjoyed hunting them down, buying them, and initially displaying them. However, I look at my Rossi models and think "I'd miss this collection" - I don't think that about the others, no matter how cool or special they are.

A shame, but I've been thinking this on and off for a month or so. I don't consider myself to be a ponderer, so I'll start sorting out the bikes for sale this weekend.

Had a further look on the web this afternoon [at work, shhh! :giggle] and it seems, online UK retailers do the Michelin C9 for £130-150. I'd say that's reasonable. I'd prefer a UK retailer, avoiding hassle of cross-sea shipping, but I'm not in any hurry.

I rushed buying bikes I didn't truely want. I'm going to research on DX to make sure #61 or #63 is the C9 I really want to go for, then start looking at where to get it. I note Minichamps are bringing out the 1:43 of the #63 soon, too. I intended to have one 1:18 C9, and the others in 1:43 form. I'd like to do this for the XJR LM and the 787B. Three beautiful Le Mans/Prototype cars that really appeal.

G

·
It does seem as if the C9 Saubers have come down in price over the past year or so - possibly because there are no new releases using that mold.

The thing about collecting bikes, most of the racebikes and sportbikes lack substance - for a lack of a better description.

Unless you follow all of the riders & brands - which is highly unlikely, the allure really wears off after a while - and thats only speaking for me.

So it was really easy for me to part ways.

I have always been convinced that bikes such as Harley Davidson carry a little more substance and they dony don't look outdated after a year such as most sportbikes and racebikes.

I guess thats the problem, the technology changes every year and last years bikes look dated - it would be fine if they were all winners of a given race, but thats not the case.

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got the 2001-2003 BSB winners, along with Toselands 2002-2005 and Hodgsons 2001-2004, plus a few other GP bikes, all of which I just don't care about enough to want to hold onto them.

It did seem I had 998R after 998R. It's a beautiful bike, but collecting the earlier Minichamps WSB bikes is a touch samey, unless you're really passionate about the series.

I think I'll sell, put some towards my Rossi 2001 Mugello fund, and then rest towards the 1:18s and 1:43 Le Mans cars I'm more keen on. It'll also free up the space needed for the cars!

I can't wait to purchase my first "high-end" model. I'm really excited about it. Some fantastic photographers here on DX really showing off the detail on the models, but in person, I bet it's a whole lever better.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I have 107 Exoto's, these models are why I started collecting. E-Bay is the place to buy them, the people form Germany seem to be best on price for some reason and it does not cost the earth to ship to England! I have purchased many models of the site and got good deals, the last two, C9 presentaion car for £87 delivered, Corvette Grand Sport £79 delivered.
The C9 Michelin C9 German Super Cup is one of the best, but be paitent you'll find one at your price one day, it's took me 9 years for the Corvette Grand Sport.
These model come from the Road Legends sub brand, the Motorbox Gold, Jaguar and Porsche 910 at the moment; are a cheaper sub brand just! and not as detailed. You've also got Grand Prix Legends, Thunder Track and two more but I have had no dealings with these so can not coment.
As for the after sales well I have had good and bad experinces so I've not made my mind up yet.
Hope this is of some help :shipwrecked

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
107? Wow!

I'm a little impatient at the best of times, and 9 years is far too long for me to wait! ;) But yes - I'm not in a great hurry, life won't depend on it - although they'll always be a nice space in my cabinet for it - and I'll see what comes up.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have 17 Exotos that I've collectd over the last 15 years and I have never been disappointed by the quality of the model for the price. However, in the last couple years, they have increased prices to the extent that I will probably never again buy directly from them without at least a $50 off coupon. I have bought at least 10 Exotos over ebay in the last 3 years with no problems. Exoto dealers have agreed to sell the models at no less than $40 below MSRP, so the best buys are usually from private sellers.

Exoto has by far the greatest selection of classic race cars but almost nothing else. Watch their Motorbox line for more reasonably priced models.

Never post a pre-order! Don't believe a word they say about expected delivery dates. If you do, you will die of old age with empty display cabinets!

CMC is better and less expensive but has very few cars in it's catalogue.

Good Luck! :cheers

:my2cents

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Yes they do like nice but I have the same problem as most no room to display alltogether. Price's are alot better on e-bay I have only purchased four direct form Exoto and that was a long wait! Over 3 year for the Ford GT40 Mk IV and they promised it was beeing made every one of those years, and I,m still waiting for the freebee of a #4 GT40 Mk IV they promised! :badidea

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I can see myself scouring ebay at some point for the Le Mans winners I can't afford at the moment, though I'm still not convinced the prices will be any better than from Exoto, especially if the models in question have sold out by then.

I am also learning about the delays in models being released!! I am wondering how long they can keep me waiting for the '66 GT40 #2. That's purchased direct from Exoto, and even ordering was not without it's difficulties. Good job I don't plan to buy anywhere near 107 Exotos I think!!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
I have given up any hope of ever getting the "free" MarkIV.
I sent a number of long emails to Tony K telling him exactly what I thought about the tratment of his customers.
He didn't really care so I told him to stuff it.
I removed my name from his customer list and contacted mt CC company telling them to never allow Exoto to misuse my card again.

F me? F Him!!!

If I ever buy another Exoto is will never be from Extorto Direct no matter how good a deal they offer. :mob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.