DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my most antecipated purschases of the year, this was a model i spent a long time looking for one brand new. It joins the Ferrari big scale family with full access in my collection. I hope someday someone decides to make a Porsche 918 Spyder and a Ferrari LaFerrari with 360 access.

Well to the model... this is an oldie from Tamiya semi assembled series, but looks incredibly nice by today's standard. It's one of the best looking scale model cars i've ever seen.
The paint job is amazing and the color is really special, closer to the Liquid Metal Silver from the 918 Spyder than a regular silver. There is this carbon pattern everwhere. The interior looks like leather and there some metal pieces that look like the 1:1 car. Wheels, rotors and pads look spot on, branded and all.
Engine detail is very clean like the real car, but very well done. The "frunk", from the pics i've seen, looked very plasticly, but it's not. The material used tries to emulate leather, so nice. The inside door panels are a work of art. As are the headlights. But as no model is perfect, far from it, this one has its weak points:
  • The rear end coud be lower.
  • The rear clamshell fitment is not good on both sides.
  • The doors are inexplicable flimsy. The worst of all Tamiya assembled models, diecast or not.
  • Overall the model is not as sturdy as the Enzo or the GTO from Tamiya. This was disapointing, but not a deal breaker.
In the end i just loved this model, it's everything a collector would wish from this hobby.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I guess this answers my question in another thread!
It looks as good as I imagined this model to be.
I'm looking at trying to get hold of a 288GTO without selling my soul (again).
I can only sell it once...... :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
One of my most antecipated purschases of the year, this was a model i spent a long time looking for one brand new. It joins the Ferrari big scale family with full access in my collection. I hope someday someone decides to make a Porsche 918 Spyder and a Ferrari LaFerrari with 360 access.

Well to the model... this is an oldie from Tamiya semi assembled series, but looks incredibly nice by today's standard. It's one of the best looking scale model cars i've ever seen.
The paint job is amazing and the color is really special, closer to the Liquid Metal Silver from the 918 Spyder than a regular silver. There is this carbon pattern everwhere. The interior looks like leather and there some metal pieces that look like the 1:1 car. Wheels, rotors and pads look spot on, branded and all.
Engine detail is very clean like the real car, but very well done. The "frunk", from the pics i've seen, looked very plasticly, but it's not. The material used tries to emulate leather, so nice. The inside door panels are a work of art. As are the headlights. But as no model is perfect, far from it, this one has his weak points:
  • The rear end coud be lower.
  • The rear clamshell fitment is not good on both sides.
  • The doors are inexplicable flimsy. The worst of all Tamiya assembled models, diecast or not.
  • Overall the model is not as sturdy as the Enzo or the GTO from Tamiya. This was disapointing, but not a deal breaker.
In the end i just loved this model, it's everything a collector would wish from this hobby.

What a gorgeous model, despite the imperfections you mentioned!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the 288 GTO. It's probably my favorite and most cherished model of the entire collection.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Get the 288 GTO. It's probably my favorite and most cherished model of the entire collection.

I hear you!
I'm at a loss at what I have left to sell....... :LOL:
I was rather hoping that since Tamiya (in Europe anyway) is part of the Samba Dickie group that the GTO might appear in a Schuco box.
Or perhaps one more model from the moribund Z models brand.
I don't care which one, so long as it's priced in the same range as the upcoming 300SL.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I hear you!
I'm at a loss at what I have left to sell....... :LOL:
I was rather hoping that since Tamiya (in Europe anyway) is part of the Samba Dickie group that the GTO might appear in a Schuco box.
Or perhaps one more model from the moribund Z models brand.
I don't care which one, so long as it's priced in the same range as the upcoming 300SL.
I don't think they will make a re release of these models... it was a very specific series, not fully assembled, big boxes, etc. I believe you will have a better luck if you keep track on ebay offers that pop from time to time.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Gorgeous model. The paint, the engine detail and that mesh on the engine cover, beautiful. :love: As usual with these, the big box and presentation makes the model feel like an event.

I also own the Tamiya 288GTO as well. And I'm here to add fuel to fire. :giggle: The 288 GTO is a fine model. If you care about the exterior, you won't be disappointed. If you're an engine detail nerd, you'll LOVE it. I can't stress enough how beautiful the underbody detail is.

Reactions: RSQuattro

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
A really nice model packed with details! There's something extremely satisfying about putting these semi-assembled kits together, especially for those of us who don't have a clue how to build the proper DIY kits 😅.
I've got the Carrera GT, 288 GTO, F50 and Enzo semi-assembled kits still boxed up - I'll take them out and make a proper display out of them when I have a bit more space.....I really hope these sort of kits come back in fashion at some point, although in the sea of resin bricks I think we all know how unlikely that will be :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
13,355 Posts
Excellent review/photos. It's a lot better in front of you rather than in photos, a very nice addition. As for the Tamiya 288GTO now that has to be in your collection, slarti .😍 You will be so happy having a good look at it and putting it together.😁

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent review/photos. It's a lot better in front of you rather than in photos, a very nice addition. As for the Tamiya 288GTO now that has to be in your collection, slarti .😍 You will be so happy having a good look at it and putting it together.😁
Thanks man! Indeed, in person it looks really fantastic.

·
Administrator
33,630 Posts
It's still a cool model. I really like it, the Carrera GT never seems to get as much appreciation as I think it deserves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts