DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first Honda F1 car made its Grand Prix debut on the daunting 22-kilometer Nürburgring circuit in early August with Ronnie Bucknum at the helm. The young American held a top ten position before being forced to retire with suspension damage. A month later Bucknum underlined the RA271's potency by running as high as fifth on the famously fast Monza circuit before overheating and braking problems interrupted progress up the leader board. Another non-finish was recorded in the American Grand Prix.

Learning the lessons gleaned from its first three Grands Prix in 1964, Honda's engineers labored hard through the off-season to overcome their lack of four-wheeled racing experience. The team was eager to capitalise on the potential advantages afforded by the advanced RA271 engine which with a maximum horsepower of 230bhp was producing more than ten per cent greater power than any of its rivals.

To boost the team's chances of success, the experienced Richie Ginther was signed to partner Bucknum in a two car attack. The Californian's arrival started to produce results - Ginther scored Honda's first World Championship point at Belgium's legendary Spa-Francorchamps circuit in June and led both British and Dutch Grands Prix.

The final race of the season and of the 1.5-litre regulations was staged in Mexico - it was a landmark event for Honda too. Ginther grabbed the lead at the start and kept the opposition at bay to record Honda's maiden F1 victory on only its 11th outing. Adding to the celebrations, Bucknum finished a fine fifth.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That was really interesting to read. The pics are a sight to see. The engine is something else too! :bowdown

G

·
Very nice model and of course the pic is improved (like it really needed improving). Luckily for me, it's a wrong scale. :cheers

G

·
Awesome! :danbanna :danbanna :danbanna

I'm very happy that Tamiya produces this model. Mine is on its way from HK. Can't wait to play with it. :cheers

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Lovely model :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob
I didnt know it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts