DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team 23 Racing Supported By Michael Jordan Set To Compete In AMA Chevrolet Superbike Championship
March 4, 2004
Team 23 Racing representatives today confirmed companies affiliated with NBA legend Michael Jordan will sponsor Montez Stewart in this year's AMA Repsol Superstock and Pro Honda Oils Supersport classes.

The effort is owned by Edward Scott LLC with primary sponsorship from Brand Jordan, a subsidiary of Nike managed in coordination with the five-time NBA MVP Jordan. The 31-year-old Stewart will ride the #123 Yamaha R1 in Repsol Superstock and the #123 Yamaha R6 in Pro Honda Oils Supersport.

"It's a blessing to have Brand Jordan and the rest of my sponsors behind me," team pilot Stewart said. "I really don't think I would have the opportunity to race in the AMA otherwise."

Team officials said Jordan's willingness to support his friend Stewart and his interest in motorcycle racing opened the door to the basketball icon's corporate partners. Additionally, team officials said Brand Jordan saw the sponsorship as an opportunity to support Jordan and his new recreational endeavors, particularly in developing products for official Team 23 Racing use.

"My goals of course include winning, but it's tough racing against some of the fastest guys in the world," Stewart said.

Montez Stewart, rider Team 23 Racing, Yamaha
ABOUT DAYTONA INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY
Things are going all right. Daytona is a pretty scary track first of all. This isn't my first time here but it is the first time here on a big bike. Things are going pretty good. I just got on the bike for the first time yesterday. I was here last week and hurt my shoulder a little bit so it's kind of hard to learn the track and go fast at the same time but it's going pretty good.

ON HIS INJURY
There's a bone in front right here that pops out of place for a minute and I got some road rash and bruised some tendons right across the top of the shoulder so it's hard for me to flex it and get under the bubble like I want to. But I'm dealing with it the best I can.

ABOUT HIS BACKGROUDN IN RACING
I was a club racer; I raced in CCS for three years and became an expert in 2001. I've won a few races and I've lost a few races, but I've always wanted to be a Pro racer and come to the AMA and race with the big boys and I finally got my chance a little while ago and I'm here to see what I can do. I'm 31 years old originally from East St. Louis, Illinois. I'm living in Matteson, Illinois, about 30 miles south of Chicago.

ON HIS GOALS FOR THE WEEKEND
My goal is, of course I want to get better, I'm not just on the track to be in the way. It's hard coming out here and competing with these guys because everyone is a competitor and everybody is fast. So just to get here and do well, that's my main thing, I want to do well. Of course everybody wants to win and later on down the road that's my goal. But right now I'm learning the tracks and learning the bikes and hopefully I'll get better as the time goes on.

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NOW AND CCS RACING
I've never had a crew or team working on my bike. This is quite a revelation for me. I'm really enjoying it, the bikes are fast, they're handling real good plus when you're a privateer racer you work with your own stuff so having team guys work on my stuff to get the bikes ready and run good is a dream come true.

James Casmay, Business Team Manger Team 23 Racing
ON THE STRUCTURE OF THE TEAM AND THIS YEAR'S SCHEDULE
Team 23 Racing is owned by a company called Edward-Scott LLC. I'm an owner along with a partner of mine Demonto Thomas. Mr. Jordan has no interest and is not an owner of this corporation. I know that's a question that we've had a few times. As far as schedule goes, we plan on competing the entire AMA season and a few select Formula USA rounds for practice and testing.

ON MICHAEL JORDAN'S INVOLVEMENT
Mr. Jordan is a motorsports enthusiast. His relationship, obviously he has an interest in the Jordan brand and the Jordan brand is our primary sponsor. That's pretty much his interest and relationship.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would love to have this piece in 1:18 and 1:12 scale :danbanna

Sure is pretty in that carolina blue. :tongue

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and this guy is 6'3" and rides a 600 Supersport???? Apparently they upsized his seat to raise his butt,moved the rearsets way back and modified the bars...I should think so, but even with all this done I just don't think any 600 with this done to it for us taller people would be comfy to ride for any great length of time on the street. JMO. :feedback

btw-I like the bike. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's pretty interesting and I hope they do well and I hope Jordan sees a good profit in it to keep it going.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mwrmt said:
and this guy is 6'3" and rides a 600 Supersport???? Apparently they upsized his seat to raise his butt,moved the rearsets way back and modified the bars...I should think so, but even with all this done I just don't think any 600 with this done to it for us taller people would be comfy to ride for any great length of time on the street. JMO. :feedback

Mike,

Montez is the rider for this bike. I don't think we will see Jordan whipping around through the corners on this one :lol

I know a couple fo six footers who ride, although they sem to be out of their element, they sure do enjoy the rides. :lol Crazy thing is that the litre bikes are getting smaller and the riders are getting bigger. Its only a matter of time before all bikes will be looking like pocket bikes :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DiecastX said:
I know a couple fo six footers who ride, although they sem to be out of their element, they sure do enjoy the rides. :lol Crazy thing is that the litre bikes are getting smaller and the riders are getting bigger. Its only a matter of time before all bikes will be looking like pocket bikes :lol
:lol Myself included. I love small bikes for their agility on the track. My favorite is Yamaha's FZR 400 (used to own a '91). Great handling and rides like a two-strokes. :cheers

I know I looked like a monkey humping a football being 6 foot and all on that little thing. :giggle

·
Registered
239 Posts
Getter 3 said:
DiecastX said:
:lol Myself included. I love small bikes for their agility on the track. My favorite is Yamaha's FZR 400 (used to own a '91). Great handling and rides like a two-strokes. :cheers

I know I looked like a monkey humping a football being 6 foot and all on that little thing. :giggle
Now why'd you go and say something like that?!! Now I can't get the image out of my head!!! :lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
mwrmt said:

Since the guy is racing as opposed to the bike being a daily commuter, I think he would be just fine on it. I know quite a few racers who are over 6' and I really haven't heard any complaints from them.

In anycase the new liter bikes are just as small if not smaller than the current crop of 600's. Especially the new Kawi ZX-10R. Larger engine displacement doens't necessarily mean a physically larger bike.

It would be best to go and try them all out and see what fits you best. Everyone is built different (longer, shorter torsos, longer, shorter legs, longer, shorter arm reach), also everyone's comfort level is relative as well. What may feel like a torture rack to some may feel just fine to others.

Hope this helps. :cheers

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Oh my God...Michael Jordan RACING?!?! :puke He needs to stop! This is :cuss ing ridiculous! :ranting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts