DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All through my years as a collector the debate has raged on :scared

Save the box the diecast model came in or throw it away :pullhair

For me, I'v always saved the box...almost always
I can see the future value of having the box and all it's packing when the time comes to sell the model

What are your thoughts on this burning issue?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I keep the boxes.

One reason is what if i am going to move house, how am i to transport all my models without boxes?

And another one is i have nowhere near enough space to display all my 200 diecasts and i keep them stored away in there boxes untill i can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too keep my boxes. The extra value you get if/when you should sell the model is a nice bonus, but the main reason is to protect my models since I don't have a display case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not really big on boxes, their not a pretty site and usually take up more space than the displayed models.

When I joined the hobby, I didn't keep any of the boxes.

Now I only keep boxes of premium models and discard the budget models boxes.

I know that there were some discussions that original packaging ensures a model will retain its resale value. However, I have seen a few auctions on eBay and sales that doesn't reflect that.

If I had a choice, I would choose to keep all of my boxes, however, space prevents that.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
I keep them all. For the same reason as everydody.

For moving purpose too, extra value, storage problem until I have some spre room to display them all. I have a small storage room in my appartment (6"x3") and it's fully loaded, floor to ceiling, with ONLY diecast boxes. And now, it has begun to spread in the living room, some in the hallway, a few in the kitchen.....
:hot Man I really need a bigger place soon! :hot

On my 229 models, I only have 2 cars without box. Because it's a second hand issue. It's 2 UT Model:

-Police Metro Dade Florida
-Police Florida Highway Patrol

...If you know someone who has those boxes...without the car...please contact me!

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
As I said, all my boxes are in a small storage room. I have 16 big brown carton box (normally use for moving) in which I can store 15 diecast per box.
So 15 diecast boxes (Empty or not) in 1 BIG BOX. Each diecast in each box is written on a piece of paper and tape to the box.

All my diecast, in each big box, are the same car brand. (1 box for Mercedes, 1 for Porsche, etc...) And if I only have 4 Shelby, well I do a mix box but leave them together.

...so this way is a lot easier to find a certain diecast when all the BMW are together and they are writen on the box.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I keep all my 1:18 boxes in attic like storage area. I had just recently moved, and it was very time consuming to pack the cars without boxes, even when I only had 5-6 of them. I can not imagin moving 100+ models without their original boxes....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I keep my boxes in my garage storeroom (I'm in a condo) in larger boxes. The only thing I don't look forward to is reattaching a model to its box if I decide to sell or move but I guess it's not that hard. Patience is the key.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I've only kept the boxes for the more valuable models, like the dealer editions. I just don't have room for all of them!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I keep all boxes, and unfortunately the cars are inside of them too. Maybe by 2007 I will have a display, maybe :waiting

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have always kept all my boxes . They are put in bigger boxes (6 to a box) labelled with its contents and then stored in my attic .

Unfortunately I have no room left , so all of my budget boxes will be finding their way into the bin very soon . Only the premium model boxes will be kept .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I definately keep them. They can be used when moving and they are a part of the model to me because they almost seem like they have no where to go with out a box.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I keep my boxes. I have an unfinished, and thus mostly unused basement, so space isn't an issue. Plus as I run out of room in my diecast room, I will probably have to resort to rotating my models and having the boxes keeps me from having to dust models I can't even display.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.