DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than being cheap, another virtue of HWs shone brightly for me last night. I fell asleep with my little mini-stereo on last night. Eventually, I woke up to turn it off (where's that stinkin' remote!), and in the complete darkness, I stumbled a few times, whacked one of the speakers, and the Hot Wheels 250LM that was resting on the aforementioned speaker to a sky dive, bounced off the wall, hit the fan, then hit the floor vent. Fearing the worst, I picked it up, and noticed only some minor paint scrapes, which Mother's cleaner wax removed easily. The pristine condition of the 250LM was restored!

Now, had that been a Kyosho or an Exoto, I would crying over the many pieces that would be strewn across the floor. So, in defense of Hot Wheels, at least their models can take some abuse!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its funny how a more expensive model would not have held up under a tumble like that. Murphy's at its best :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's quite a tumble! :happy

Not surprising parts don't fall off like an Exoto...

Then again, there ain't much of anything to break off to begin with! :lol

But hey, at least this shelf-dive story has a good ending. :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Phew!! That's a close one. I wonder if Hot Wheels does drop tests on their cars. :giggle :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SM:
Phew!! That's a close one. I wonder if Hot Wheels does drop tests on their cars.
:lol More like Hot Wheels puts their models through extensive testing to achieve very little detail. :giggle

(Im too harsh on them) :eek:hmy

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I know of a burago 993 which has fallen off a 30" high table top and come off it without a dent or a scratch. Midways, it had the good fortune of having its fall broken by a cushioned chair before it fell to the floor, thankfully on its wheels.
Never again have i tried to see the rolling efficiency of any of my cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LUW said:
Lesson learned, right? Next time it may not be a Hot Wheels. :scared
Well, there's no way I'd put something of more value on a tipsy speaker. The rest of the cars are still hiding comfortably in their boxes in storage until they can be displayed properly. I just rotate some random HWs in and out so I at least have a couple of diecasts to look at!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, Hot Wheels are toys so they have to be able to hold up against bumps!!

but they can't beat Tonka :lol

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
CollectorX said:
SM:
Phew!! That's a close one. I wonder if Hot Wheels does drop tests on their cars.
:lol More like Hot Wheels puts their models through extensive testing to achieve very little detail. :giggle

(Im too harsh on them) :eek:hmy
No you're not. :ranting

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MockingBird said:
Maisto's should hold up quite well too i think...
Not really mate. Last year I put my Hummer H2 on a slanted speaker and it rolled off (talkin about the stupidity in me! :ranting ) and the front wheel axle broke :crying

Also, I think Hotwheels made their cars so strong because they probably expect collectors that are fustrated with their quality be throwing their cars on the floor and stepping on them after taking the cars out of the boxes! :lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts