DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
This custom project came to be because I recently received a 2nd Welly 964 Turbo coupe for my birthday. It happens to be one of my favorite recent Welly releases so I set about researching some potential projects for it. As most Porsche fans know, the 964 version of the 911 was never "officially" released with a turbo cabriolet version. There are/were many aftermarket companies that would convert a C2 "turbo look" cabriolet into a true turbo however. A few years back though, I had read an article that claimed Porsche had actually built 4 factory examples as special purchase items, Upon more recent research (very hard to find true definitive info or pictures) I read on Stuttcars.com that "In the summer of 1993 Porsche Exclusive (Sonderwunsch) department created six 964 Turbo 3.3 Cabriolets. It was an easy job - a C2 Turbo-look was equipped with the rear spoiler and turbo engine (note: Turbo 3.3, not 3.6)". So with that, I set out to create my own version. Sadly, the only photographs which proclaim to be these cars were one in a nice shade of blue and one in black. While I like those colors, I have a thing for convertible Porsches in any shade of white. Anyhow, here is my conversion as well as the coupe version I completely redid.

Removing the roof and shaping/shaving the body was a labor intensive and slow process. Also had to cut the windows very carefully to maintain the mounting points and wing windows. The convertible boot cover is a resin cast I made from the Anson 964 C4 Cabriolet. The whole process took about a week from start to finish. The only thing missing is the Porsche Crest for the front hood and if I can find someone selling Porsche script decals, a Turbo badge for the rear. Other than that, the after the car was stripped down to bare metal, I chose a pearl white finish with black/red interior. I also flocked the floorboards and such in red, to give some contrast. Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out and now it joins the other 4 tubro cabs I have (one off 993, 996,& 997) I hope to eventually get my hands on the Norev 930 Turbo Cabriolet to round out the collection.

·
Premium Member
13,854 Posts
Awesome Porsche!!!! I like it a lot!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Hey mazspd3jase welcome, those two porsches are stunners and great job on that convertible. I have the black 964 by welly and its one of my favourite models I haven't modified mine though, just a set of old french plates from the bad boys movie!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey mazspd3jase welcome, those to porsches are stunners and great job on that convertible. I have the black 964 by welly and its one of my favourite models I haven't modified mine though, just a set of old french plates from the bad boys movie!
Thanks man....it was actually a really fun project. I'd really like it better if It had clear front turn signal lenses. I noticed another poster on here modified one....I just need to find the post again so I can pick their brain!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Yeah I wanted to do that on mine but I didn't bother in the end because the bad boys movie car had orange. I think I remember a german website that had welly 964 tuning parts if I can find out the name of it I will let you know.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I wanted to do that on mine but I didn't bother in the end because the bad boys movie car had orange. I think I remember a german website that had welly 964 tuning parts if I can find out the name of it I will let you know.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey mazspd3jase welcome, those two porsches are stunners and great job on that convertible. I have the black 964 by welly and its one of my favourite models I haven't modified mine though, just a set of old french plates from the bad boys movie!

View attachment 150569
very nice! I think the quality is pretty good for the price. my biggest complain was ride height and the paint seemed a little thick in places (both of mine started off as the white version). The other part that bugged me was the front bumper strip detail which was one part I took my time to paint after I did the color coats. Other than that, I'm with you....they are great looking diecasts. I really like the GT Spirit version but I have yet to purchase a car in resin. I love the details but not confident I'd be able to repaint one. I'm also still on the fence about the lack of opening parts. I'm sure at some point I'll break down if something really catches my eye (The Otto M5's and the red M3 Cabriolet are a few I really dig-but the colors they come in have stopped me).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Cool

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent recreation!

You could try Steffi @ Gateway for your badges. She got me some for one of my UT cars - from memory it cost about €4 + postage to the UK.
Thanks for the info. I am waiting till the new year. There is a seller on ebay who sells a ton of different decals/badges/P.E stuff. I have a nice chunk of ebay bucks to spend, but cant use it till after the start of the new year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.