DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
34,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been running the contest for a little over five years now. I love running it, but I need you guys to give back in return. By this I mean, to get involved in the contest. If you are not a great photographer, that is not a problem, the very least members on here can do is to vote for the pictures! I have changed the rules to make voting much easier by allowing more than one vote and allowing more pictures to be nominated. I have done this solely to generate more interest, but the last round only had 21 votes, which given the size of the forum and number of daily visitors (signed in members) is actually embarrassing!

I'm sorry to say, but I expect more from you all, but not only for me, those who have their pictures nominated, they deserve more too!

I am sorry that we no longer have a prize on offer that's just the way it is, the contest is for a bit of fun and is a staple of the forum. The overall Picture of the year winner does have the chance to have their picture as the forum banner for a year, so that is a good prize itself.

I cannot advertise the contest by Status Update as before, but I do make the featured thread post on the front page of the forum for all to see. I even tag guys in who regularly contribute and the nominations always start around the beginning of the month.. even if you are not sure if it's up yet, just message me, I don't mind.

I am not complaining about those who take part, I cannot do it without you guys!! THIS IS TO ALL WHO DON'T TAKE PART!! It takes a few seconds to see a picture you like and to vote for it.

I will see how things go, if things do not improve I will think twice about running it. I don't mean that I will step down, no. I will cancel it all together and that'll be that.

I am sorry to have had to write this but it takes me a long time to make the contest, so I would appreciate a bit back in return.

I will leave this open for comments, for those who don't take part why not ??

The current winners thread is now up, so please do take the time to look in and share your congratulations to the winner.

Thanks for reading!

Craig

·
Registered
344 Posts
I will see how things go, if things do not improve I will think twice about running it. I don't mean that I will step down, no. I will cancel it all together and that'll be that.
That would be a shame, but I can understand your frustration. I do hope more can at least take part and just vote. The pictures are fabulous and this contest is a great way to share them with everyone.

·
Administrator
34,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's something that I don't want to happen, but also I am getting tired of making the thread each month for not many to vote on them. :cry::mad:

• Sad
Reactions: Marios

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
One of the first things i read in this forum had to do about the contests. I was so excited to see that every month was a photo contest running. I saw amazing photos and styles that made me to improve and keep improving my own style in diecast photography as i am still new in that kind of photography.
I read those comments from @Craig and i feel disappointed. Disappointed because what he says is the naked truth.
Contests are not made for showoff! Nobody advertises his camera gear or the money that spent on it. There are no rules about processing as in professional photo contests. Anyone can post a photo of his model and believe me you can shoot with a 6yr old phone and have a great result if you love what you do.
I see so many different members to post a photo in thread "what did you buy today" but only a 10% of them is nominating his photo in the contests. I'm sure you can do way better than taking a fast picture to show us what you bought. Clean your model, change your angle, shoot a macro image of a tire, or a part of the engine. You don't have to use special lighting or cameras for these. You can always get out, use the natural light and take a photo with your smartphone. No one will judge you in a bad way. NO-ONE.
I apologise for the longscale comment but i trully believe that everyone can shoot a descent photo of his model car. And those who can't, may always ask for advise.
Let's keep this contest alive..

·
Administrator
34,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Marios I'm in 100% agreement with you :)

We spend a lot of money on the models, so it's nice to show them off and to see pictures of them. I just don't understand why it's so hard for some to get involved in voting with the POTM contests!

:confused:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
FACT1:
Month after month we have amazing high quality model photography here in the contest and month after month Craig is undertaking so much effort to promote this contest.

FACT2:
Although more than 100 members visit DX each day there are only about 20 members in more than a week’s time to take just 30secs to look in and vote.

CONCLUSION:
The vast majority of DX is simply not interested in this photo contest.

It seems hard to understand but it doesn’t help if we complain or to urge people to take part. It is like it is and I think we have to accept reality.

Since quite a while now I have more and more the impression that with our beloved POTM we are only trying to ride the famous dead horse.

For this reason I have meanwhile stopped nominating pictures for POTM. Of course I don’t mind at all if anyone would nominate one of my pictures because I take this as a compliment. I just do not actively take part in nominating any longer.

I can imagine only one way out of this dilemma:

In case we find a technical way to allow guest visitors to vote we could reach a much higher level of participation. Diecastsociety for instance offers voting in polls not only to members but also to guests.

That‘s just my two cents…

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I even tag guys in who regularly contribute and the nominations always start around the beginning of the month.. even if you are not sure if it's up yet, just message me, I don't mind.
Nominations for MAY 2022 Photo of the Month - A...
Nominations for APRIL 2022 Photo of the Month - A...

It doesn't make sense tagging people who have sold their collection and aren't even active anymore, for example ironsim.

I don't even remember sergio or Scirocco nominating anything lately. Chall comes in sometimes, then disappear for months. Sorry guys, nothing personal, just telling it like it is.

Me, I've been regularly contributing to the POTM not for weeks, not for months, but for YEARS. Every now and then, I even nominate some of my own photos just to fill in the quota.

This takes me to the bone I have to pick with you, @Craig: in the last two contests when you started tagging members, my name wasn't there.

I really do take offense at that, and I have made a point not to participate on the last two contests. After all, I also like to have MY own efforts properly recognised, as I spend a considerable amount of my time looking for pictures to nominate. I always try not to take the easy route of going through the "Random Picture" thread, so I look thru lots of different threads for stuff that qualifies as POTM material.

So, maybe don't even tag anyone next time, just so ppl who haven't been tagged don't feel discouraged to take part, just as I felt.

Honestly, I got so annoyed I haven't even been around much lately.

But thanks for making this thread, as it gives me the opportunity to get this off my system. And man, that feels... so good. 😁

[pause to take a breath]...

Anyway, I think that POTM is kind of... doomed. And not only because ppl don't come in and vote, but for lack of ppl actually taking pics of their own models and nominating their own pics.

Also, I believe that for many members it's quite possibly the case that they don't feel too confident nominating their own stuff, or perhaps even intimidated, given the photo editing skills of a few regulars here. It's no fun competing against the kind of Photoshop-fest that POTM has become.

Ok, I think I'll stop now... peace out.

·
Administrator
34,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nominations for MAY 2022 Photo of the Month - A...
Nominations for APRIL 2022 Photo of the Month - A...

It doesn't make sense tagging people who have sold their collection and aren't even active anymore, for example ironsim.

I don't even remember sergio or Scirocco nominating anything lately. Chall comes in sometimes, then disappear for months. Sorry guys, nothing personal, just telling it like it is.

Me, I've been regularly contributing to the POTM not for weeks, not for months, but for YEARS. Every now and then, I even nominate some of my own photos just to fill in the quota.

This takes me to the bone I have to pick with you, @Craig: in the last two contests when you started tagging members, my name wasn't there.

I really do take offense at that, and I have made a point not to participate on the last two contests. After all, I also like to have MY own efforts properly recognised, as I spend a considerable amount of my time looking for pictures to nominate. I always try not to take the easy route of going through the "Random Picture" thread, so I look thru lots of different threads for stuff that qualifies as POTM material.

So, maybe don't even tag anyone next time, just so ppl who haven't been tagged don't feel discouraged to take part, just as I felt.

Honestly, I got so annoyed I haven't even been around much lately.

But thanks for making this thread, as it gives me the opportunity to get this off my system. And man, that feels... so good. 😁

[pause to take a breath]...

Anyway, I think that POTM is kind of... doomed. And not only because ppl don't come in and vote, but for lack of ppl actually taking pics of their own models and nominating their own pics.

Also, I believe that for many members it's quite possibly the case that they don't feel too confident nominating their own stuff, or perhaps even intimidated, given the photo editing skills of a few regulars here. It's no fun competing against the kind of Photoshop-fest that POTM has become.

Ok, I think I'll stop now... peace out.
Hi Clement,

I'm sorry you feel that way. I didn't mean to cause any offence by not tagging you in. I do write that I have tagged in regular contributors and for those not tagged that they can still take part (every member can) & that the thread starts (usually) at the same time each month.

We've "chewed the fat" a few times via PM, so I wouldn't not have been offended if you'd have just messaged me to vent your frustration and I'd have tagged you in.. I am sorry I must have forgot. This applies to other regulars too. I do not mean to cause any offence to you. At the end of the day, I just want a greater participation and for more members to vote for the pictures.

I tagged in the other members as they'd recently had pictures nominated in a contest, so I must have just copied the list from the time before. Maybe you are right, tagging in seems not to have worked so well here.

I think you are right about the contest, but it is too good a contest to let die. That is mainly the reason for this thread, I will see if it pays off next time round. I also think some members feel that they must put their own pictures in the nominations, that is fine, but there are a lot of others out there too that can be nominated, mainly why I changed up the rules so it's not just 'my pic, my nomination' I was trying to create some community spirit.

I might run another one off contest with different rules alongside the regular monthly contest and see that how goes.

Sorry again that I offended you. I hope that you will be part of the future contests.
🤝

Reactions: cwbs

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
It's alright now Craig, no worries! (y)

Yes, I admit I should've PM'ed you about that. But that's my temperament acting on behalf of me, my first reaction when I read something I don't like is to go sulk in the corner. 😒

So, I was thinking about POTM and here's a few suggestions. Let's take Le Mans for example: there are distinct categories/classes because of course it would be impossible for a street car converted into a racer (GTE class), to compete fairly against a prototype made for the track (LMP class).

So first suggestion is: why not have two distinct categories for the POTM? Let's say: "Edited Class" for images which have been either touched up or fully enhanced by software, and "As Shot Class" for phone pics, or other unedited/quick shots?

Another suggestion is: maybe setting a limit, let's say, maximum 10 photos per class only, and one photo per contestant? The aim is to make people hurry up with their nominations, because if you leave it too open and unrestricted, people are going to take their time and be like "oh I'll get to that later", and some never will.

And my third and final suggestion is: make the contest every two months instead of every month. And during nomination, bump up the thread every day or make it stick on the top, to get people's attention?

(y)

·
Administrator
34,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the idea, but I feel it will complicate things. The rules are quite simple as they are, but written down they already seem really long. As long as the picture is in that month, that's cool.

One photo per contestant doesn't work so well, which is why I made it three most months.

I think that every two months will make it die out, some only nominate pics that have been in the past week of the contest, so another month on top, they are likely to forget.

All in all, I think the contest is doomed, but I just don't want to admit defeat yet! I'm going to plug it as much as possible. It's not the nominations that are the problem, they are there and they are good! It's just the voters who don't seem interested.
:confused:

• Sad

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
It's not the nominations that are the problem, they are there and they are good! It's just the voters who don't seem interested.
I don't know, Craig. I think it may be both? May's nominations were how much, 13 pics only? And it was very slow paced. And also always the same people nominating.

I think at least having two distinct categories could help boost both nominations and votes, but then it's just a feeling I have.

But I realise that would probably be a lot more work for you, so perhaps not a good idea at all. (y)

As already said: POTM would massively benefit from external guests being allowed to leave their votes…
That may be so, but I kind of wonder if people just come to lurk around and don't bother signing in or making an account, would they bother looking on the POTM thread, picking a picture and casting a vote?

Still, I think we'll only know if the idea is given a try. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
It would be great if those that don't vote could just say why. No judgement on why just the reason. At least then there would be more knowledge of why some don't participate. I was going to suggest a poll, but then we'd likely have little participation as per POTM.

I enjoy partaking in both selecting and voting most months. And for months when I don't nominate I take the minute and vote which is the least I can do to acknowledge all the work that goes into running the contest and composing those shots.

I like @cwbs' idea of splitting the contest, but it definitely would take more work and effort especially in refining the specific rules. Unless we alternate between the two each month? Or do theme's? Or perhaps it's one of those things where either it's accepted that turn out will typically be low, but continue running it or throw in the towel. No judgment if the latter is chosen, but a shame nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Some of the contribtuions here sound a bit like blaming those members who do not vote or asking for a justification for not voting.
Maybe assuming that it would be a kind of members duty to support POTM by voting?

IMO this is going completely in the wrong direction.

I too love this contest but we have to accept that not many members of DX are interested in this anymore. Fullstop.
Asking for a reason or pushing to vote doesn't help at all.
It’s just a matter of fact and btw it is a long term trend - the number of votes has been constantly decreasing since years now.

So we can either think of a radical change and hope this can re-vitalize POTM.
Or it will fade away...

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
@Craig your comments and frustrations are well justified!
Life has got pretty busy for me over the last couple of years, so I'm unfortunately not able to visit here anywhere near as much as I used to or indeed would love to :cry:.
I do try and pop in from time to time and engage where I can, but in some ways, this forum isn't as easy to navigate or find content as it used to be..... I will try and make the effort to vote (even if I don't nominate) in the POTM contests as I've always found it a good way to engage with content that I never noticed/found in my regular scrolling.
Keep up the good work mate🥂

·
Administrator
34,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of the contribtuions here sound a bit like blaming those members who do not vote or asking for a justification for not voting.
Maybe assuming that it would be a kind of members duty to support POTM by voting?

IMO this is going completely in the wrong direction.

I too love this contest but we have to accept that not many members of DX are interested in this anymore. Fullstop.
Asking for a reason or pushing to vote doesn't help at all.
It’s just a matter of fact and btw it is a long term trend - the number of votes has been constantly decreasing since years now.

So we can either think of a radical change and hope this can re-vitalize POTM.
Or it will fade away...
What I can't get my head round is that takes seconds and it's free. If some can't be bothered to get involved that is their problem.

It's very sad that some just don't care about others on here, that's the way I see it and the way it is. I will keep plugging away at it though (for now)
I'm not even the person taking pics of my stuff for the contest, the pics the members take and nominate are great. That's not the problem at all.

·
Administrator
34,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Craig your comments and frustrations are well justified!
Life has got pretty busy for me over the last couple of years, so I'm unfortunately not able to visit here anywhere near as much as I used to or indeed would love to :cry:.
I do try and pop in from time to time and engage where I can, but in some ways, this forum isn't as easy to navigate or find content as it used to be..... I will try and make the effort to vote (even if I don't nominate) in the POTM contests as I've always found it a good way to engage with content that I never noticed/found in my regular scrolling.
Keep up the good work mate🥂
Cheers Chaim!! Good to see you on here!

Thanks you, that's great! I will be putting the link to the contest at the top of Hobby Talk and pin it up so it stays there.

I might even write a few times in my posts.

Reactions: mcaf123

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Cheers Chaim!! Good to see you on here!

Thanks you, that's great! I will be putting the link to the contest at the top of Hobby Talk and pin it up so it stays there.

I might even write a few times in my posts.
How about adding to your signature as well? That way people have almost zero excuse not to see it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts