DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was posted on another forum awhile ago. One of the forum members knows this guy and wanted to share his collection with us on the forum, so I thought I'd pass it on to you guys.

WARNING!!!!!

This article and pics may very well indeed cause a huge stir in your groin and the possibility of becoming single, by choice or not may also happen. Financial loss is a possibilty as well.
I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF THIS HAPPENING TO YOU!!! :cool

read on:

His name is Joe *****, here's his story:
Here's a few shots of my collection. The room started out as a deal with my wife: I'll let you do anything you want to the rest of the house, as long as I can have one room in the cellar to do what I want to do - no questions asked. Well, it's been around four years, and I'm just about there. And we're still married. Go figure.

I got really lucky. The whole room was done really on the cheap. When we bought the house, the guy left a lot of corrugated galvanized steel behind. There had to be around fifty sheets of the stuff, approximately 30" by seven feet. I don't know what he was planning for it, but it sure came in handy. I used it for some of the walls and backing for the display cases. It was really easy to work with, for the most part, and if I made wooden forms for it, I could bend it into all kinds of curves - sort of like airplane wings.

It started out as a TV room. I had a bunch of outboard gear - nothing too crazy, just a decent 5.1 receiver, a rocking Velodyne sub, good speakers, and a 52" Pioneer rear projection TV. I used plywood and basic framing to build the components into the wall, and then cut the TV cabinet (I must have measured it around twenty times before I fired up the circular saw) and mounted it into the wall, too. The result was pretty cool - sort of like a big plasma, without ditching the perfectly good display I already owned. Big plus - no pleading to the cost-cutting committee. Everything was almost done after a couple months of evenings and weekends, and even though the room was still rough around the edges, we had our little home theater to hang in.

Now, the whole reason for the room to begin with - and the main cause I had for wanting a room of my own to play in - was the ton of diecast I had sitting in boxes. It was eating my liver out not being able to display the cars, because I didn't have the space, and didn't want to put them on open shelves, where all of the dust from the work we were doing in the house would definitely mess them up. One day, I was on the road and saw a sign. A store in Massapequa was going out of business. They sold me three glass-doored display cases… cheap. With the shelves thrown in, I got the whole shooting match for around 200 bucks. A little framing, a little of the corrugated steel, and blam. Out came the cars.

Had I known then how many cars I'd ultimately wind up with, (or how many more these guys would make that I really had to own) I'd have bought a few more of those cases. But thanks to IKEA and a little more of that steel, another bunch live in these wooden cases, built up from shortened "Billy" units.

Then something amazing happened. My pals Vinny and Ronnie stopped by all bent out of shape about some new slot cars they'd seen. Once I saw the detail and finish on these suckers, I was a kid all over again. But that meant I needed to find a place to put a track, and I was fresh out of room…or so I thought. The answer was right there, over my head.

It took a little engineering, and a lot of trial and error, but after gluing and dowelling five core doors together, skinning them with ply, and tooling up a whole slew of pulleys, steel cable, and a Northern Tool winch, I got the "Silvstedt Speedway" - named after Victoria Silvstedt, blonde goddess and Playmate of the Year - to fly.
The final measurements are 15 by 7 feet, with about sixty running feet of two-lane layout. I don't know how much it weighs, but my pal and I were able to move it without herniating anything, and the winch is rated for over 400 pounds. It raises and lowers in around seven seconds, and there's a key lock that kills the power to the switch I mounted to the wall. And yep - I have all kinds of locks to hold it up, in case anything goes "Oh, Sh*t" in the middle of Terminator 3.

Racing these models is a blast - the cars look unbelievable, and a lot of them are spitten images of some of my favorite 1:18 diecasts.

But even that pales in comparison to the Fly Porsche 917's that have just about every trick I know thrown at them. They cover the layout in the four-second range. And with metal gears, at around fifteen volts and thirty-some-odd thousand RPM, they sound way, waaaay cool.

Anyway, that's why I'm a basement dweller. Maybe I'll see you guys at a car show or something over the summer, or at a slot show in the cold season, along with my pals Joe (Fia), Vinny, and Ronnie. Those last two sell diecast and slots, and we have a ball drinking coffee and checking out the talent (and I don't mean song and dance, either) at the shows. Hope to meet some of you guys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The gentleman that owns that room is Joe Kelly, Jr. He writes a regular article on 1/18 scale diecast for Toy Cars & Models dubbed Route 1:18. Route 118 is also his handle on the Diecast Pub, where he is a member. He also is a regular visitor to the 1/18th scale Forum on Diecast Zone.

I've never been to his home in New York to see his wonderful "play room", but I have talked with him on a number of occasions and can say Joe truly is a great guy and an asset to this hobby. The fact that he has a very understanding wife doesn't hurt either!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that looks awesome....

what was the deal again? I get a room she gets the house... no questions..

sounds reasonable to me....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here are a couple of designs that I came up with a while back that you could use in the same space and would give you about an extra 30 feet of running length!!!

Design 1

Design 2

Enjoy :)

Oh yeah ... and that is an awesome set up!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rippa72 said:
here are a couple of designs that I came up with a while back that you could use in the same space and would give you about an extra 30 feet of running length!!!

Design 1

Design 2

Enjoy :)

Oh yeah ... and that is an awesome set up!!
Love the first design. 2 long straights and loads of corners. It looks like you'd need a few elevation changes also.

WAY COOL DUDE!!! :drool :cheers :drool :cheers

OHOH-slotcar collecting???? :giggle :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, being as Speedcheck has so kindly goaded me into this now, I took some quick shots this AM. :cheers

It consisits of approx 175 cars in scales from 1/64-1/12 and includes all race cars and bikes(w/the exception of my 1 M3-thanks Souky). I also have alot of other race memorabilia.

So enjoy.....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts