DiecastXchange Forum banner

The whole Elite thing

5K views 66 replies 18 participants last post by  DiecastX 
#1 ·
What is with this whole hotwheels Elite thing?

Are they serious about joining the diecast competition? If they want to be taken seriosly they will have to be even as the rest of the compaines. They cannot release a $370 Enzo just to be on qualtiy par with $60 Kyosho's and AUTOart's.

Is their anything that justifies their really high price? I'd much rather spend $370 on a top notch Exoto that comes with a spare rolling chasis which that itself is 300 more times detailed then a FXX, then some cheap (very expensive) Hot Wheels thats half made of plastic.

What are your thoughts on Hot Wheels's actions towards the whole elite thing?

#2 ·
I don't know anything about the Elite Enzo or FXX (don't like the look of them, so I've ignored 'em), but $370? I thought the Elites were selling in the $50 - $60 range...

G
#16 ·
I was told that at the end of the planned run of the regular elite line, there will be 4 cars comissioned by Ferrari, at the top level of detail, and will compare to or exceed the best in the industry.

They are supposed to be closer to the real cars in detail and build material than anything we have seen, and be very limited(possibly 495 of each car).

Say what you will about Mattel, but if they decide to get into the game of high end diecast, everyone else will be going for second place.

With their talent and resources they will bring it to a whole new level.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sounds like people are willing to accept a $300 BBR with open arms but a $300 Hot Wheels doesn't have the right to exist :lol

Reminds me of when they said a Ford didn't belong at Le Mans, they were crazy to try :wink

Guys, NO MODEL is worth $300.
Even the museum quality CMC Birdcage is only going to be $239 or less.
A modern car with 1/4 of the detail (talking about the 1:1 here) costing more?
:kick

G
#23 ·
The Super Elite series from Hot Wheels will feature four cars, all of which are limited editions of 999 pieces each and have an RRP of £160 in the UK.

The cars are;

MATK4145 Ferrari FXX
MATK4146 Ferrari F430 Challenge
MATK4147 Ferrari Super America
MATK4148 Ferrari 599 GTB

#36 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Yes, I can confirm Andrews advice!
Got the same information from my german distributor.

Please take a look at Cars & Co Company

Price will be ~250 EUR.

No details so far but I guess, features will be the same like Super Elite Enzo (more parts than normal Elite, handpainted, carbon plate, limited edition).

Even if I won't pay as much for a Mattel, I'm sure they will sell.

G
#26 ·
I tried to get some info from the Mattel employees that moderate the Ask Hotwheels on the Hotwheelscollectors.com board, but they can't seem to find their a$$e$ with both hands so I have given up there.

Maybe one of the retailers that sponser this board will have information soon.

G
#28 · (Edited)
DiecastX said:
I'm just looking for a factual source of information.
Just out of interest what kind of information source would you deem to be "factual" regarding the Super Elite Ferrari series?

The information I posted yesterday (albeit short and brief) came from one of the leading diecast wholesalers in the UK, they in turn got this information at first hand from no other than the Mattel stand at the London Toy Fair back in January 2006.

#34 ·
Nicky, the owner of that board has asked DX not to link to theirs, so links there are not allowed.

As far as justifing the extra $250, they don't have to. They will sell out just because they are a very limited edition, Period! The Hot Wheels club has 100's of thousands of members that will snap this up in a hurry. Some will see this as the next rare "Cherry Bomb" and grab it. Some of those cars that once sold for a quarter now bring $1000.
I have said it before, these are not meant for us, but for the guy that might have a couple of real Ferraris in his garage so $300 is chump-change.

Look at other cars that bring far more than that like the Ertl Peggy Sue. It is a $20 diecast just like the many other '57 Chevys that Ertl has made, but since this one is and LE, it brings mid 3 figures and sometimes 4.
The "Zone" GMP black GTO is another example, it should be a $100 car just like the other GTOs, but since it is an LE, it brings $450.

Collecting is a weird thing.

#35 ·
I agree, Al but in this case the manufacturer is putting the crazy price on the product, not the market. In all the other cases, the buyers set the price.

I also agree that it will probably sell but I do believe that Hot Wheels's is getting a bit greedy on this one but its fine in my book, maybe they will raise some cash to do something that I will be interested in :wink

#39 ·
Yes, "Super Elite" and "Elite Special Edition" is the same.
So there are 3 lines: HotWheels -> Elite -> Elite Special Edition (or Super Elite).
heres a question i hope some one can answer will there be a hot wheels elite FERRARI 333SP??
There will be a HotWheels Ferrari 333 SP again, but it is no Elite!
It's weathered with traces of race. Same model as it was in a limited edition a few years ago:
333 SP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.