DiecastXchange Forum banner

The X-Clinic: Two more ladies - Ferrari Monza SP1

1002 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  X-Filer
While I wait for the Pininfarina decals to arrive so I can definitively end Aurelias, I get myself into another project, I hope it will be much faster than the previous one. This time, another pair of now younger italian ladies: two Monza SP1. The Bburago is rather decent but there are a handful of details that could be improved, namely:

  • Add photoetched logos and letterings;
  • Paint the interior of the panels and engine compartment matt black;
  • Paint black the strips around the cockpit;
  • Add metal grilles at the front;
  • Add brake details;
  • Sand the tread of the tires;
  • Paint the bottom of the passenger compartment in a metallic tone;
  • Detail the interior (paint the pedals aluminum, open the ventilation outlets, apply clear coat to the gauge cluster, paint black the seat backs, etc.);
  • Replace the plastic belts with a fabric and photoetched belt harness (Tremonia);
  • Detail the engine (cut the bottom of the mold for greater depth, paint red the valve covers, add wiring and clamps, etc.);
  • Flock the luggage compartment;
  • Add shock absorbers to the boot lid;
  • And everything else that comes by!

This is what I started with:

Everything stripped down:

The engine and the carbon fibre "beauty" panels ann in the same mould:

The huge front grille hides a few (small) openings:

The smaller brake cooling vents:

The seats with the plastic seatbelt harness (clearly taken from Maisto's parts bin):

The all-black plastic cockpit:

I'll remove the seatbelt fixation points and touch up the "carbon fibre" at the back:

The car's luggage space is lined with an extremely thin carpet so I actually considered just spraying it with matt black but the owner of one of the cars prefered it was flocked throughout so... fluffy it is!


Even Ferrari uses fake exhaust tips...

I might as well touch-up the suspension arms too:

First thing I did after disassembly was to take out the ugly tampos with the Ferrari prancing horse and lettering:

The engines:

Here I cut out the bottom of the moulding surrounding the valve covers, so that it gains a bit more depth:

Here I carved the two air outlets which in the real car have meshes so... I added mesh too:

The brake discs are "carbonized" and added a bit of detail on the fixation plate and clamps. Also, blacked out the hollowed-out parts on the brake callipers, through which one should see the brake pads. The rear callipers are awful but I still haven't found a proper donor for those so, for the time being, I'll have to live with these:

Added a couple of layers of clear coat, so that the carbon fibre patters stands out a bit on the steering wheels:

Painted the centre part of the air inlets, so that when I add the mesh it has a bit more depth::

This is the part that bores me the most, masking the panels to paint them black on the inside. Took me 2 days (well, two evenings) to create these "mummies":

Sanded tyre thread (before and after):

Added a bit of colour to the cockpit "cocoon". I had a "stainless steel" rattle can lying around, which had the perfect hue I was looking for:

Engine valve covers painted red (Ferrari 514). Now it's time to add all the sensor cables and spark plug leads:

More news soon!
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 3
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.