DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Learning to take photos against a black background has been a long experiment in trial and error with me. I first started with matte black posterboards. But they tended to look like dark gray rather than pitch black. I think the reflective material much easier to work with. Of course, it's a much bigger challenge using black background with a dark coloured car. Blue is often a very tough colour. Just ask Souky. :giggle He'll agree with me on this.

Here's one of my favourite shots for "strange" lighting. I was waving my little 20W halogen lamp around while I held the aperture open for some time (I can't recall how many seconds :confused )

This is my fav non-race car shot. The car was a gift from non other than Jeff (Max Power).

G

·
As I see it, there are two different approaches which we may opt for when photographing diecasts:
(a) Either we aim for a 'descriptive' picture, if we want the photo to show as much 'reality' of the model as possible; or
(b) We're seeking mainly the 'artistic' effect, and then try to pull out the perfect perspective, the perfect lighting... and the perfect background.

Maybe this second goal is the most difficult to achieve, as there are much more factors and sensations involved: mood, color harmony, texture effects, etc. - and it looks like all you folks are perfectly mastering it! --- VERY :coolpics

Being as lazy as I am, I normally take the first approach, and thus use a plain, light grey background for my pics. But I didn't want to skip the opportunity to post here one of my very rare exceptions: a 787B by night! :giggle

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I remember swinging my light around to diffuse the light while holding the shutter open for an extended period of time. This was my Beanstalk model but I've passed it to my son so I have more space in my display case for more race cars. :giggle

1 - 20 of 55 Posts