DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through the XJR-9 topic got me thinking. This is another example of tobacco sponsorship having to be replaced with something else.

We complain if a model comes out with the livery/drivers/number etc incorrect, but the biggest 'fault' is not the manufacturers fault at all. I realise that this can often be corrected but I don't trust myself to start modifying a £150 Exoto.

I am not a smoker and I wouldn't support encouraging people to do it, but it annoys me that a car which raced with sponsorship on cannot be replicated faithfully. These cars are even known by many as 'Silk Cut Jaguars' or 'Rothmans Porsches'. The liveries are famous.

In my opinion, I think diecasts could be excluded from the ban in question. Everyone knows that famous cars ran certain liveries, and I wish the models could replicate this properly.

Do you agree, or do you think that the ban should apply and is important?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I agree that cars should be reproduced faithfully, with the correct livery with which they ran. However this issue has come about because of the way diecasts are classified (which I think is as a toy).

Basically in Australia there is no tobacco advertising permitted - with the exception of some international events like the F1. In the local market though, nothing can be produced or sold that displays a tobacco logo.

Having said that, the occasional diecast will slip through. I got a JPS Lotus from my local store with full tobacco details a while ago, but the next Lotus in the series had modified decals.

It's a pain for collectors but it stems from legislative requirements from governments. The idea behind it is good, but I do wish expensive diecasts were exempt.

Mark

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
This is a subject that I and many others have often questioned. I don't think that you will find anyone here who thinks that tobacco ads on diecasts will cause anyone to take up the smoking habit, and I think it is nothing short of preposterous that government would go to this extent! :pullhair

By doing this, they are rewriting history. Instead of smoking a peace pipe with the Indians, will they now say they simply signed a contract and shook hands? :confused :giggle

And why is it that 1/43 makers can have the ads while most 1/18 cannot? And why do some 1/18s come with cigarette ads and some do not (e.g., Exoto still sells John Player Special Lotuses). :confused

Finally, why don't makers design the models so they can easily accept decals placed by the buyer after purchase? If I were the maker, I'd include the decals in the box! :pullhair

Sorry for the soap box.

G

·
I think the laws are nonsense in regards to diecasts. :pullhair
Does anyone really think that if someone buys a diecast model with cigarette sponsorship on it,they are suddenly going to think"hmm,think I'll start smoking"?
This particularly irks me as a lot of models that are yet to be made and will be 'must haves' in my collection involve having to get after market sponsor decals.
Peter Brock won 6 of his Bathurst 1000's(my main theme) in Marlboro-sponsored cars so lots of decal buying and placing in store for me (sigh)
Here's an example of this with the 1 of those 6 Brock cars that have been made so far

:cheers
Tony.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Its utter crap.
Anytime governments get involved in something, all common sense goes out the window.

I seriously doubt that 1 single person ever started smoking because od a diecast car.
If anyone is that weak minded then they have other problems to worry about than smoking.

I won't even go into my opinions anout the banning of ads in general but I see it as a huge waste of time.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
:iagree

You will see alcohol sponsorship at a lot of race meets, I rather see a smoking driver than a drunk one.

Now where did I put my lighter……………….

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree 100%! I dislike smoking intensely, but revising history by not allowing accurate markings on a model is political correctness gone mad. What's next, will all pictures in newly published books about motor-racing have to have the cigarette logos blurred out? Utter nonsense. :pullhair

G

·
If kids want to smoke, they'll smoke. People should worry more about the friends they hang out with, not what they see plastered on race cars.

How long before we would see this disclaimer on diecast boxes: Professional driver on closed course: do not attempt.

Soon, I'll bet.

G

·
As I've said before, it's the result of governments appeasing the anti-tobacco lobby with one hand, and gladly accepting the kickbacks from the tobacco companies with the other...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree with the sentiment here that the consistency of the ban on cogarettes is spotty at best. 1:43's are covered with cigarette placement yet on 1:18's they are avoided. In my mind the 1:43 is more of a "toy" than the 1:18 is.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If kids want to smoke, they'll smoke. People should worry more about the friends they hang out with, not what they see plastered on race cars.
I agree. Being an 18 year old right now and going through teenage years still, I have learned something from my years in elementary school and high school in Romania and Canada. Back in grade 7 in Romania, the kids who smoked did it cause they were world "not to do it" mostly. And over here in Canada, from grade 9 onwards to grade 12, it was pretty much the same deal, because they were told smoking wasn't allowed on campus, they would go outside and smoke.

I think the whole smoking thing is like, if the government didn't impose all these restrictions, less kids would probably smoke.

Anyway, about tobacco decals. I think tobacco decals are VERY important. Maybe not now so much anymore, but up to now, several cars' overall livery was based around its tobacco sponsor. Just like how West was the sponsor of McLaren in F1, you'd have all those logos (not just the "West" name itself), or same deal with Lucky Strike on BAR.

in my opinion, it's the tobacco decals that make a "livery" on most of these cars that came with them. Removing them is like removing the original thing that started the whole livery, or at least removing an important part of the overall livery. It'll always feel like something is missing.

Which is why I'm ordering West and Marlboro decals off the 'net for my 2 McLaren and 1 Ferrari F1 models. It really feels like something is missing everytime I look at them.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Guys, just one thing: in the case of Exoto's Jag, it wasn't made with the right logos because Exoto didn't want to pay royalties, and not because of the ban on tobacco advertising. The ban is generally ristricted to products that children have access to, and since Exoto do not make toys but historical replicas, they could have used the logos.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hadn't realised that. I assumed that it was largely due to the advertising restrictions. In that case, Exoto and the like should come in for criticism. They are equally guilty of making 'replicas' that don't replicate an integral part of the real car purely to cut costs. On a model of Exoto standard that is unnaceptable. Although I can guess who would end up paying the extra!

G

·
I can undertand and accept those policies, though not agreeing with them.
But then, why don't Exoto (or any other diecast maker) just leave those areas empty, so that whoever wants to add the correct decals can do so without risking to ruin the model? Why those silly "bar codes" or fake stripes? :pullhair

G

·
i do not mind smoke company's being put on a model if it was there on the 1:1 when racing its not really going to make people start smoking by just looking at a logo. and if its on the 1:1 then people who collect the model of it well then they know what the real 1 looks like. i wish that they should just add the sponsor in the car so u can put it on if u wish insted of them just putting lines where the sign should be.. i am soon looking for the peter brock torana's and it has smoke sponsor on it but in the model it has lines.. so guess i'll have to find set for another $30 unless ebay has 1 with all decals on it..

G

·
I have never smoked and agree that it's ridiculous to extend the "no tobacco advertising" to diecasts.

As someone else said, alcohol liveries don't seem to be effected by this. I do love certain alcohol liveries (particularly Warsteiner) but if anything, alcohol + cars is a much worse combo.

When I buy a model of a race car I want the original livery, or (as someone stated) at least the option to apply the correct livery myself without risk of ruining the model. I am hoping the upcoming PMA 1982 Rothman's Porsche 956L falls into that category.

·
Registered
107 Posts
[/qoute]
What I don't get is if the licences are so expensive, how can IXO still pay them and keep the cost of the model to 20 quid..? :confused
[post="402600"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
[/quote]

I have yet to see an IXO produced with the correct livery? As they are based in the EU they fall under the tobacco advertising ban. Hence why their 2003 Solberg Cyprus winner was made with the subaru swish rather than the 555 it ran with. Trofeu in Portugal who made the older Subarus didn't fall under this ban

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.