DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What, in your opinion, are the top diecast models on the market?

If you had to recommend five models to someone, which ones would you pick and why?

Also, what would your reasons be for recommending those models?

:feedback

My top 5...

1. Exoto Sauber C9 Michelin
2. Minichamps Porshce GT3RSR
3. AutoArt Toyota GT-One '99
4. BBR Ferrari Enzo
5. MR Models High Technology Models

Explanation:

The top four are all 1:18 models. The Sauber is just one of the most detailed models that I've ever seen and has a real presence about it. Fantastic all around, except for price. The GT3RSR is probably the best Minichamps car that I've seen and like the Sauber it has an exceptional look too it.

The Toyota is probably on of the best models that AUTOart has made in my opinion. I really like the look of the car and the details are great too. The BBR Enzo is probably the new benchmark for detail in the 1:18 scale. Something I will definitely add to my collection in the future.

MR Models High Technology Models are a range of handbuilt 1:43 models that have fully opening parts and fully detailed components. They come with a super high price, but in my opinion they are the summit of 1:43 diecasts.

I'd recomend all of these models because of their overall quality. The prices vary greatly, but these models all have fantastic attention to detail and have a great presence about them.

:cheers

Mark

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Mark, it would be a totally subjective list. I can easily creat 5 lists with different models and they could easily be defended as "the best". It would be easier if you wanted a list according to an objective value, like price, weight, length, age, # of parts, etc. We will be discussing this until next year and we won't have a consensus.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Hi Luciano. I completely agree with your sentiments regarding the objective values behind any 'best list', diecast or otherwise. That's why I asked for a statement of what people were using as their evaluation criteria.

I heavily favour Le Mans cars and sports/super cars in my collection, so naturally I will include those models on any list that I create. Having said that I also favour Minichamps, AUTOart, and producers at the higher end of the market.

Perhaps what I should have asked is:

"What criteria do you use to judge a model on?"

I guess best model can be a little too subjective, but nontheless I was just interested in how DXers would pick their models and what they would pick.

Mark

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Now we're talking! :cheers

The 5 best models would be really hard to argue. But the criterias used is something else. For instance, you said Le Mans. A favorite of mine too, but what do you go after in a Le Mans model? Driver, race, position, team or car? Or being Le Mans is enough? For me at least, since there are so few Le Mans cars in 1:18, I'm guilty of being happy just if the car has the Le Mans badge on it's side (or roof). But that's for Le Mans only.

If the subject is street cars, then things get complicated. But I think thge 1st and most important factor for me would be "sex appeal". If I look at a passenger car and it speaks to my heart, then it's desirable, and I'll go from there, basically using a process of elimination to choose.

How do you do it?

G

·
Pretty good conversation you guys have going here.

I proposed such a list to the staff about two years ago, Luciano remember that :giggle

At the time I thought is was very possible, but it makes a lot more sense to me now that such a list would be impossible for collector accept.

I've read this topic twice now and I am convinced now that a list couldn't even be put together with cars alone, it would have to include bikes and trucks as well. Not to mention budget models mixed in with premium models.

Tough, tough tough...

But it is great to see what collectors would name if they were given the choice to name 5, which 5 would they name.

Heres mine and not 1 racer in the bunch <see I told you so> :giggle

In no specific order:

1)AUTOart 1953 Corvette-This model is important for many reasons. First and foremost the subject matter of this car symbolizes a great piece of American Automobile History as it is the first ever Corvette. Secondly, which is equally important, AUTOart is a changed company no doubt about that. This model reflects loudly what AUTOart has given us for many years, a superb model with quality, detail and subject matter with substance packaged in a great price.

2)
AUTOart Callaway C12 Muko- The only diecast model ever produced to have a portion of the proceeds go to a charity organization supporting the Cystic Fibrosis Organization. Can't tell me that is a good enough reason to add this model to your collection.

3) Maisto Viper SRT-Why this model? Well after Hot Wheels released this model with the incorrect engine in the Comp Coupe model, so did AUTOart. AUTOart covered this blunder by calling it the "Prototype" and later corrected the engine under the name of "production" model. Well Maisto came in with 1 attempt and got this car right, much cheaper than that of any of the AUTOart versions and much better quality/detail than that of the comparable priced Hot Wheels version.

4)Exoto the brand. Setting all customer service/owner issues aside, they produce models that set a standard when it comes to accuracy, details and finished products. This standard has been in place for MANY YEARS and only now, 2005, are we starting to see the same quality and details being replicated by other companies.

5)Minichamps GP Sportbikes- No other brand can offer collectors the same level of quality, details and subject matter that Minichamps delivers. Some could make the argument that FM bikes do, which is true, however, I'm not blown away by their subject matter. The scale that Minichamps produces these bikes in, 1:12, gives owners of these bikes a true appreciation of the fine details associated with this brand of bikes.

Well those are my top 5 :giggle

I think there has to be a little history, both factually in the hobby and subjectively irelating to the 1:1 for any model to occupy a top spot in such a list.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh...there are many fine criteria reported in your posts gents. Thanks for supplying the information.

As Darrick suggested history is important and I have several models which whilst not in my top 5, I still consider important models to me. In particular I'm a fan of the Ford RS200, several 1970's and 1980's porshces etc. The older cars I have generally fall in line with Luciano's statement about the cars speaking to your heart - ie I remember them from my childhood or they hold a special place in automotive history.

Now we're talking!

The 5 best models would be really hard to argue. But the criterias used is something else. For instance, you said Le Mans. A favorite of mine too, but what do you go after in a Le Mans model? Driver, race, position, team or car? Or being Le Mans is enough? For me at least, since there are so few Le Mans cars in 1:18, I'm guilty of being happy just if the car has the Le Mans badge on it's side (or roof). But that's for Le Mans only.

If the subject is street cars, then things get complicated. But I think thge 1st and most important factor for me would be "sex appeal". If I look at a passenger car and it speaks to my heart, then it's desirable, and I'll go from there, basically using a process of elimination to choose.

How do you do it?
Ok, the way I pick models is based on everything from how much I like the subject matter to the position of the moon and the type of socks I was wearing when I saw it.

But generally it will be based on these things:

1) Do I like the car? If the car has that 'sex appeal' that you mentioned Luciano then it generally passes this stage of the test. Because I generally prefer racing cars to road cars I'll go for them, but it's the same emotion about the car.

2) Am I a fan of the driver? I should say that this has influence but won't generally sway my decision. The only two drivers I would say yes to absolutely would be Gilles Villeneuve and Mark Webber - if category one was satisfied.

3) What is the quality of the model? I look for build quality (stance, modelling, detail etc). If I'm happy with that I will generally buy the model. If I'm not happy I won't buy it whether it be AUTOart or Hot Wheels. The only exception was the Hot Wheels Ferrari F1 cars, where my choices were limited to Hot Wheels or BBR (which I couldn't afford).

4) What is the history of the model? This is another influence. The 787B for instance was the only Japanese Winner of Le Mans. It was also the only non-piston engined winner. It also satisfies criteria 1 and 3 though so it's a must have. I also appreciate these cars in terms of the driver histories too. For example the AUTOart Merc CLK-LM is the first major drive of Mark Webber's carreer, so it's important to me for that reason.

I'm waiting for the Alan Jones WC Car from 1980, but I've never been a Williams fan, so driver history is also important to me.

I'd say that covers my categories for evaluating models, particularly if I want to purchase them. It largely translates into my choices for evaluating a quality model too.

Mark

G

·
Mark,

Excellent points!!!

Criteria is equally important as the diecast production history and subject matter.

My criteria would go like this:

1)Subject matter of the 1:1, does the 1:1 of this replica represent a major part of automotive history. Subject matter is relevant as it adds substance to a collection. Personally I feel a lot of models based on new 1:1 releases lack substance as the 1:1 model has not accomplished anything of significance in the automotive world. Thats just my personal opinion.

2) Quality and Details, how does this model compare to other brands version of the same exact car in detail, quality and pricing. To some price is not an issue, however, I'm not a part of the "Buy everything expensive and screw budget models" Club. So pricing is important, however, no the most important to me.

3)Accuracy-Don't sell me something that is clearly not what it suppose to represent, especially if a picture of the 1:1 is on the box and the differences are apparent. I know we are talking scale models, but there has to be some standard of realism. I promise I will not bring up AUTOart's GT3 R posing as and RS or other designation :eek:ops :giggle

4)Personal ownership, if I can find a model of a 1:1 I owned, then it makes my personal list of favorites. Especially if I enjoyed the ownership of the 1:1.

5)Another personal criteria: Infatuation. There are times when I see a 1:1 and say to myself, I must have that in model form. Example: Shelby Cobra Concept and the MB SLR, I am fascinated by both of these models, so they would make my top 100, but they would come in very low on the list. Maybe me being bias will bump them up halfway :giggle

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Darrick,

It's interesting that whilst our criteria are essentially similar we have extensively varied collections.

I guess that proves the power of both of our first criterion. Variety is also what makes diecast collecting such a great hobby and it explains how ~1700 people can come together in one place and still have a common interest.

Mark

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
top 5 cars...hmm... i'll just list those that i have in my collection

1)AUTOart Jaguar XJ13 <- probably AUTOart's best effort (excluding Mazda LeMan's car)
2)AUTOart Toyota 2000GT <- probably AUTOart's 2nd best
3)Kyosho Ferrari Daytona Competizione <- probably Kyosho's best
4)EXOTO Mercedes Sauber C9 <- Amazing detailing and it just looks good
5)Minichamps Mercedes 300SL Gullwing <- a piece of Supercar history

G

·
Mark,

I notice this often when reading some posts of yours as well as other DX'ers.

Everyone knows what they want and how they want it, no mater how different the model, the same basic priciples apply.

The diversty amongst collectors and their collections is really overwhelming on DX. But the enthusiasm and passion remains similar.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
That's the main reason I generally keep away from modern cars. Thay have to "prove their mettle", so to speak, before I consider them worthy of my collection. That's why it's a lot easier with race cars.

G

·
I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks this way.

There are a few exceptions to this rule with the Carrera GT, Enzo and MB-Mclaren SLR. The production history of these three cars are older than the cars themselves.

They were designed with an intended purpose which has their history and heritage stamped all over them.

These three along with the Aston Martin remain 4 of 5 favorite modern cars of mine to this day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts