DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be really honest here (like I have always been). I was not thrilled to the the new BMW 8 series Coupe when they first rolled out. Even in person, it felt like a copy of Ford's current Mustang or some combination of the current Mustang and Aston Martin's love child. Coming from the last Generation BMW 6er Gran Coupe, I had hope that it's replacement would have been just as pretty or better even. Man was I disappointed. That was until I had seen the 8er Gran Coupe, which for some reason BMW designers worked out that design better through longer proportions and a different roof and rear trunk(boot) than their 2-door Coupe.

That leaves me here, with these three 1/18th scaled miniatures/models and wondering when will a Cabrio of the current 8er be released, if ever?
So, I added my first ever GT-Spirit when they released the then new BMW M8 Gran Coupe. What a gorgeous model and nicely executed as well by GT-Spirit. I also had the earlier Norev Dealer Edition BMW M850i Coupe and recently added Minichamps/PMA's BMW M8 Coupe, also a Dealer Edition Promotional.

Details wise, the sealed GT-Spirit is the clear winner here. From it's intricately detailed headlights to it's spot on high contrast interior and two-toned wheels, it just literally sealed the deal.
Next I'll give Norev some credit on their well executed opening diecast. The only let down on it is that the rear trunk is sealed. I think that was most likely at BMW's request due to the rear light not always being aligned when teh trunks is closed. You can see an earlier review for that model here: 2020 BMW M850i (Dealer Edition)...by Norev

Lastly, PMA/Minichamps' BMW M8 2 - Door Coupe which is the most recent release out of this trio. The model is done to a similar level as a Paragon or Norev. In fact, I start to wonder has Paragon started producing models for Minichamps and some recent Kyosho models? I started to really feel like there are some coming from the same factory in China? That being said, I miss the older higher quality Minichamps from 2001 to 2007. Those models were epic in quality, functions and details.

So, as we are only allowed to post 20 images per post. I will try to divide this up into groups.

Grouped...

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I am in the other boat - I think the 8er in all forms is one of the best looking current BMWs... The more I look at it, the more I love it, lol. If some day, by some chance, there's an opening Gran Coupe, I am adding one for sure.

Reactions: D N'D-Land

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad that someone really likes the 8er...but for me, the only 8er that I like is the Gran Coupe and maybe the Cabrio (Which we still need a model of), so I am with you in hoping that an opening one is released some day (soon) at that. 🥂

·
Registered
695 Posts
Great seeing all three together David! I am not a fan of GT Spirit in general but I agree with you in that I think they pulled the M8 off the best of all three. My only complaint is that the taillights should be much slimmer. I also agree that the GC is the best of the M8 variants - I think it has the best-executed roofline.

I wonder why BMW had three different manufacturers three different versions of essentially the same car. The Paragon X7 is identical to the Kyosho X7 so I think you are correct in that they are sharing factories.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Matthew! Yeah, the GT-Spirit version was executed the best and the better looking car as well. If we're lucky, someone will release an opening diecast of that one, but IDK? As BMW had GT-Spirit to already make a 1/12th of the GC in the same colors, so that might be it for that one? :unsure: However, there is not a cabrio yet.

Yes, it feels like a lot of factory sharing is going on. Basically whomever is the owner of that factory is probably raking in the dough!💵💴💶💷💰 Wouldn't be nice to be them ;) Cheers!🥂🍻

·
Premium Member
12,858 Posts
GT Spirit nailed it with the details and the spec. It looks so good.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, GT-Spirit totally did a much better job on their Gran Coupe than the two die-casters. Jonathan, you thinking about adding one as well? 😊 👏 🥂

·
Premium Member
12,858 Posts
Yes, GT-Spirit totally did a much better job on their Gran Coupe than the two die-casters. Jonathan, you thinking about adding one as well? 😊 👏 🥂
I'd really like to. But, I tend to get bored with BMW models after a while. I haven't looked at them for sale. I'll see if there are good prices out there.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd really like to. But, I tend to get bored with BMW models after a while. I haven't looked at them for sale. I'll see if there are good prices out there.
Yeah, tbh, their new stuff is polarizing!!! However, as I am a completist or model car addict (real talk..LOL) , I usually try to add as many as I can afford, but have been getting rather picky lately as prices have consistently increased.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Great trio photoshoot here Dave!

First, is it just me or the GTS unit doesn't have much waviness in the side windows? Looking at your photos they're almost perfectly curved! This may be a game changer for me as the only thing stopping me from getting the GTS M8 is worry about side window waviness.

I love the M8 by PMA! Would certainly buy this as some point but prefers a gloss color.

I have the Norev 850 myself and hope to add some more of the 8 to my collection!

BMW 8 by tanayast, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great trio photoshoot here Dave!

First, is it just me or the GTS unit doesn't have much waviness in the side windows? Looking at your photos they're almost perfectly curved! This may be a game changer for me as the only thing stopping me from getting the GTS M8 is worry about side window waviness.

I love the M8 by PMA! Would certainly buy this as some point but prefers a gloss color.

I have the Norev 850 myself and hope to add some more of the 8 to my collection!

by tanayast, on Flickr
Thanks Stefanus!! Also a GREAT Shot from you as well man! 👏
Yes, I only have two GT-Spirit Models (M8 GC & GTR50th Italdesign) and both have really have flawless windows. That's why I was able to take "normal" photos with these shots.

I will probably sell my BMW M8 Coupe when a glossy one finally releases in a color that I like. Looking forward to that day! CHEERS!🥂🍻😊

1 - 16 of 16 Posts