DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Some people have had trouble with applying tobacco decals on F1 models so I've made a tutorial to help those with concerns over applying them.

To begin with, you'll need the following equipment:
- decals (obviously)
- craft knives or a sharp, small pair of scissors
- tweezers
- Q-tips (cotton-tipped swabs/cotton buds)
- magnifying glass (optional)
- water (only a small amount)
- small soft paint brush
- ruler (optional)

Patience and planning are paramount to applying decals - for a first-timer it can take up to an hour to apply a whole set of decals to a model and this will decrease over time as you become more experienced and skilled. It is best if you work where you have plenty of light and space to work comfotably and your model will need to be cleaned and dry before applying the decals. Having a few photos of the real car for reference will be a big help too. In order to remove any decals that are in the way e.g. the white decal on the engine cover on Hot Wheels's Ferrari F1-2000/F2001 models, you'll need to use nail polish remover and it must be acetone-free otherwise you'll remove the paint. When all of the above steps are done you should be ready to start applying the decals.

Only cut out the decals one at a time as it is easy to lose them. When you have cut out the decals you need, dab the Q-tip in the water slightly and rub it against the back of the decal to soften the backing paper. NEVER use decal softening solutions as they weaken the decals enough to tear. The decal will be soft enough to peel away from the backing paper when you can see through it. Use the tweezer to peel the decal away but do it slowly or you risk tearing the decals. When the decal is pulled away dab the back of the decal lightly with the wettened Q-tip and then place it on the relevant part of the model. Use the small paintbrush to flatten and smoothen out the decal on the model and it should set in seconds. Start with the decals on the behind the driver's head first - those are the easiest to apply. The decals on the rear wing are a little trickier but they can be done by a novice, it just takes time and practice.

After the application is complete it is best if you store the model direct sunlight and temperatures above 30◦C as these conditions will weaken the decals over time.

·
A car dream in 1/18!!
104 Posts
Believe it or not, I had this question for a long time. Now I've got the answer. I will post pictures when I am done.THANKS. :sm:

Dan

·
A car dream in 1/18!!
104 Posts
Well, I've done it. I have two F1 cars done with decals, The F2000 and F2001. On top of everithing castrol_supra_gt uses, I have used Testors Decal set. I needed to soften the decal a little more because the rear wings of the F2000 are not completely flat and I needed the decal to take the shape. I have applied the Decal set solution on the decal, left it on water. In the meantime I have rubbed the surfaced to be decaled with the same solution. In the meantime the decal separated from the paper. With tweezers I applied the decal on the wing and aligned the top part of the decal with the top part of the wing. With my finger wrapped in paper towel I dubbed the moisture from the decal and then, with an letter opener wraped in paper towel I pushed the decal in that angle formed by the two surfaces of the wing. It moved a little but I had time to get it straight. Well, they look good. A little bit of patience will do it.

Now, if anybody has decals left for the helmet, I need both for top and visor. The visor has to be the ones with Tic Tac. I had two on my 2001 set, but they went wrong... I have some Marlboro left, maybe we can work it out.

Pics of the cars should be posted in photos 1/18 later tonight. The F2001 is for sale...

Dan

·
A car dream in 1/18!!
104 Posts
that was relief to see the Canadian GP back in 2004. I already placed my order for tickets for 2004.
I didn't look for the tickets yet, but I will be there! maybe we could meet! I will definetely ask the guys on the forum who consider going! That could be the first official General Meeting of DX!

Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
that was relief to see the Canadian GP back in 2004. I already placed my order for tickets for 2004.
I didn't look for the tickets yet, but I will be there! maybe we could meet! I will definetely ask the guys on the forum who consider going! That could be the first official General Meeting of DX!

Dan
I'm in. I will be back in Ontario from May through the end of August so plan on taking in the F1 as well as the Toronto Indy.

A DX meeting wouold be a great idea.....lets get planning :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

G

·
I plan on flying back home for the GP in Montreal. I've got some relatives in the Indy area as well, so I'm headin' there, too! I'd be game to meet up with some DX folks!

·
Registered
692 Posts
It's good to see you guys meet together at the GP in Montreal.

Don't forget to take some nice pics of everyone and show it to us here......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts