DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,
I was looking at a couple 1/18 American Muscle and Highway 61 cars at a new toy store in the mall today. What is a good price to pay for either brand? The cars they had were in the $29.99 - $39.99 range.

I have a real soft spot for late 60s & early 70s Mopar muscle (Chargers, Challengers, 'Cudas, Dusters, etc...). I'm looking to add a couple to my bike collection. Any recommendations in the $20 - $50 dollar range?

Thanks!
Sean

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Sean,
Acisne would be the guy to ask this question.
He is a wealth of knowledge and has always steered my in the right direction about Muscle cars :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
*Warning* 1/18 Muscle cars are like M&Ws, you can't just stop at one! :giggle

Not knowing which Ertl they had it would be a tough call as there are some gems, the same as ther are some turkeys. If you jotted down a few, I could give you MHO on which one I would get.

It is easier on the H/W 61 side as 99% of them are great and you get a lot of value for your money. At $39, they are priced $10 below the $49 MSRP so you are ahead there.
The '70 Mustangs or any of the '70-'71 Cuda/Challengers would be my first choice.
The up-and-coming '69 Camaros would be next.
My third choice would be their Olds 442's or the Hemi Coronets (actually anything with a Hemi).
You have a leg up since you are able to see them at a store and spot chrome problems (if any. Most of us have to get the Hot Wheels/61s through the mail and hope that they are flawless.

Outside of these, and if I was going to add just ONE, it would be the Lane '70 Chevelles or any of the GMP GTOs.

Remember, I am restraining myself to recommend just one or two.

BTW, Welcome to the slipery-slope! :tempted

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
:lol
Do you guys remember a certain motorcycle-only collector making these kind of questions about a year ago? :giggle

Sean, I agree with Al. HW61's cars can almost be purchased with your eyes closed, and that is a very good price you quoted. But for Ertl it will really depend on the model.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments and recommendations! I'll have to keep an eye on thier stock to see when they get something I'm after in. I didn't pay too close attention because they didn't have anything that jumped out screaming - 'I gotta take this home'.

I have a '71 Challenger R/T by Ertl/American Muscle and the detail under the hood isn't as good as I'd prefer. The interior is OK. It has a couple radiator hoses but is missing spark plug wires and battery cables. Brake lines would be nice too see too. Are these details available within my price range?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Luc, I have no idea who that guy was??? :giggle Now we're even for all the Maisto race bikes I've been posting! :help

Thanks again, time to hit ebay!!!

:lol
Sean

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
While muscle cars are not my primary interest, I have two of Ertl's "Authentics" line which sell for about $42 at Scale18. The quality and detail on these two are far, far better than one would expect, in fact the '67 Impala has details I've never seen on models for less than $200. :nicejob I highly recommend the Authentics line but have no real knowledge about their other lines.

G

·
I have to add to what has been said about Highway 61, its easy to get hooked on their product as you get sooooo much value for your money.

But its something about the Ertls that will keep you coming back to them :giggle

One thing I have learned about the Ertl's is that regardless how a model is, it seems to hold its value rather well, much like a 1:1 would.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I've been dropping some pretty hard hints as to what I want to the wife - Highway 61 1970 Cuda in Moulan Rouge. Anyone have this one? What's it like?

Sean

p.s. Very funny, Ric :lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts