DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chrome lettering on the back of my Kyosho Boxster has came off during waxing. :help :help I tried to glue it back but failed. Does anyone have any suggestions to what i could do to put it back on? even worse the failed attempt has accidentally left glue mark on some parts of the rear end. Is there anyway to remove this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Loves Cars
374 Posts
Ugh... sorry to hear about the chrome letters, Derek! I about had a heart attack when the Carrera GT lettering came off of my silver dealer edition. I quickly stuck it back on and ran away like a little kid who just set the drape on fire!

Sorry I don't have anything informative to add. I know several people have had this exact same thing happen and I'm sure somebody can lend a hand here.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Here's an untried sugestion: :confused Use nail polish or some other clearcoat as glue. Stick the lettering onto it while still wet. Once it dries, put more clearcoat on top to hold it in place. At least if it doesn't work, it can be removed with nail polish remover. :WTF

Good luck, and let us know if you find a solution. :cheers

·
Registered
764 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
What type of glue did you use in the failed attempt? Hopefully not Krazy Glue...
Which glue determines what to use to try and remove the glue without doing further damage.
For this type of repair in future use a clear drying white glue such as Elmer's - easy cleanup!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for all your suggestions :cheers

The glue i used is like superglue but thicker, it smells similar to super glue too. and the glue has ate into the paint which left the surface bit uneven. I think it would hold the lettering on properly/strongly but i wouldn't dare use it again since it marks any paint surface it touches.

I'm gonna look up what Elmer is and find something similar aroInd here. The clear coat sounds like a good idea too. I should've asked before I used the darn super glue. :dizzy

·
Registered
764 Posts
Elmer's is nothing more than the white liquid glue used by school kids for sticking paper to paper - it has the 2 advantages of being water soluble and drying clear.
There is also a product in hobby shops (at least there was, it is years since I've bought any) called Krystal Kleer which is intended to fill the gaps around the clear parts like headlight covers and windshields on 1/43 handbuilt models. It works well as an adhesive.
Removing cyano acrylic glue can be done - there is a remover sold for the purpose - but it may very well harm the paint. Also in future remember that CA glues can leave a stain that looks a lot like frost so you never want to use it on painted surfaces unless you're applying microscopic amounts with the point of a pin!

G

·
Is the chrome lettering a decal, a photoetched part , or other ?? Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with this model, and unless you give us some better idea of the original part, it is difficult for us to help. Any idea how the 'lettering' was originally attached ? A picture might also be helpful.

For example, the 'chrome' lettering on certain AutoArt models are simply a metalized 'sticker' or decal, held on with an original backing of glue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.