DiecastXchange Forum banner

UT Impala SS

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Kurt 
#1 ·
I just ordered a Dark Cherry one for a total of about $36. Anybody have one? What do you think of it? What rating would you give it out of 100? The only UT I have is a '98 Porsche 911 GT2 in yellow and its got amazing detail, especially on the brakes and proportion of everything, so I would assume that the Impala is of fine detail.

BTW, Its my first post here. I'm on the rapidcars.com forums as Aston_Martin_Guy and Automotiveforums.com as McLaren F1 Guy.

G
#4 ·
It was once considered the best 1:18 scale diecast model ever created. Of course, that was many years ago (5 or 6 years ago to be exact). If UT releases this model today, it will certain be among the bottom feeders. Overall, the shape of this model is fairly correct. However, there are few details on the model just don't look right for some reasons. First of all, the wheels look way too small to be an 1:18 scale of the 17" on 1:1 (I could be wrong on this one). Secondly, the tailpipes should be straight than slightly slanted. Third, the mounting post on the headlights are outrageously large. As for model details, they are on par with today's Motormax or Welly. Of course, you can find picture of this model on my site. Oh yes, mine is black.

About 1 year ago, Autoart released the 510 Concept. It has quite a few improvements such as new wheels, realistic hinges, open rear doors and more. Of course, the trunk is still sealed. However, Autoart has done an outstanding job to breath life into this old mold. You can probably find one for the same price as you paid for the Impala SS.

#5 ·
Holy crap you guys reply fast.

Anyway, thanks for the review, louis. I saw the AutoArt one at the local hobby store and it looked pretty high quality but I've got a few AutoArts and only one UT and I like the rims a lot on the UT one and not so much for the AUTOart. Does the AUTOart one even have brakes? If so, I didn't see them when holding the box.

G
#15 · (Edited)
DiecastX said:
I too saw the Jada Impala SS and its a tank.
I am thinking about buying the black one and rip off the rims/tires for my Beetle Hotrodding Beetle project. However, the idea of spending 25 dollars for a set of rims kind of throw me off. If any of you willing to give a set up, let me know. I have a set of "fair" condition wheels from Kyosho LMR for trade. Anyone?

#17 ·
Crap, Exoticar doesn't have it even though on their site they say they do. Heads up for people intending to buy a UT model off Exoticar - they say they haven't got a UT model in since UT went out of buisness, and how long ago was that?

#19 ·
Yesterday I went to the hobby store not expecting to buy anything. They always jack up the prices sky high, maistos and hot wheels are $40, AutoArts can get up to $90, those little 1:64 HotWheels are $2 :ranting ! Anyway, turns out they're having a sale that takes 20% off any 1:18 models, which pretty much takes off the extra money they slap on, so I walk out with a 1:18 AUTOart Impala SS 510 concept! It's a great model, rear doors open, wheels turn really far, detail is impeccable, usual autoart stuff :drool . The floor isn't really carpeted though, its just like kinda rough rubber. The only problem with mine is that the hood is really stubborn and when it kinda bends when i try to shut it so I have to be very careful. I'll have pics in by tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.