DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am also having a problem with melting rims on my UT turbo s. Has anyone removed the wheels, stripped the paint and repainted the wheels? If so please let me know the details in removing the wheels. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If someone could also post a 'how-to" on removing UT wheels, that'd be great. I have a GT2 I need to redo the wheels on! :-O

I read some of the older threads on the UT wheel problem but didn't see the removal instructions.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I have tried removing the wheels on a Ford Cosworth and trust me, it was a major pain. The rear wheels are connected with a steel rod and the front wheels had something of a interlocking clips which broke on trying to remove the wheels. The tires themselves seem firmly stuck to the wheels. Not trying to discourage you, but don't want you to ruin a model. I hope someone else has had better luck and definitely better skill in getting those wheels apart on a UT.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks for the reply

I definitely want to do this without breaking the axles to get the wheels off! Seems like there are a lot of variations of the way wheels are attached across manufacturers. I've had mixed luck with other cars.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks Florin - good call. I guess I was in a daze after looking at the GT2 conversion pictures and couldn't think of contacting them that at the time! :)

G

·
So, mark sent me a PM yesterday, about his problem to remove the UT wheels.
I could help, i think.
I made a Video for him, and now its for you all.

that´s the result:
THE RESULT

But there will be a problem, if you do that the first time.
You must hold the screwdriver to the middle of the axle. If you hold it straight, away from the middle, your breakdisk may be destroyed. Or not directly destroyed, broken and you must glue it.

A comment to the result, that you all see what happens, after the wheel is free.
The nose on the axle is in the nose from the wheel (you see a black thing in the middle of the wheel) thats no Problem.
The 2nd way is, a little part from the rim is already on the axle. Also no Problem.
You can use the same wheel on the same place to glue, or use a powertool to slide it away, like this:
Power tool
Whats the name for this in engl? i don´t know

G

·
Thanks so much for that most informative tutorial and the time you spent on it ,Makai . :3tens:
Seems a few of us are going to be needing it.
The tool is also called a dremel. Basically a miniature angle grinder.
:cheers

G

·
Hi guys. I got a black UT 993 turbo. I had a good look at the rims a while ago and Im almost certain something from the tyres is causing the paint on the rims to melt. All 4 rims are only sticky on the edge where the tyre contacts it. Maybe 2mm inwards. The rest of the rims surface is fine. There must me some kind of oil, chemical or residue on the tyres that over time, trickles onto the rims.

Ive wanted to take the wheels off for a while now so I can remove the tyres from the inside and not risk rubbing them over the outside of the rims and removing the soft paint. Then, once the tyres are off I can give them a good cleaning and hopefully remove what is causing the rims to melt.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I used Makai's method to remove my wheels last night. Worked great! It looks like the brake disk will need to be glued to the back of the wheel to reinstall, no big deal there. Wheels will still roll.

Also - (and 'll post a pic later) - but a couple of the wheels I have are flaking not just at the point where the tire touches them on the edge, but all over the place! Maybe an advanced stage of deterioration.

My wheels are now in the "Easy Off" oven cleaner bath and chrome is all coming off!

G

·
Here's one of the four wheels I'm working on. They weren't all quite this bad, in fact, one had no issues.
That´s really bad. The color of the spokes is always easy to remove. Just scrath and the color is flying away.
I think the only way to save your rims is, to make the rims clean from color and chrome and paint it black or other color.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
it's a bummer to find out that your car(s) have this problem. I just got my GT2 wheels stripped and will be starting the repaint soon.

I've sold a couple of GT1s with the problem as well. Kind of wish I would have kept those, now....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.