DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I was mucking around until midnight yesterday with my camera and a halogen desk lamp trying different things with this Yat Ming Nardo. I was shooting both this car and a Hot Wheels Murcielago (green). None of the Murcie pictures turned out because its paint is just not very good with halogen lights.

So here are my artsy shots. :giggle

(Click on photos for 800x530 pic)

(...and some not-so-artsy shots)

G

·
I like the second and third shots.
Great effects Felix.............i've obviously had my head up my a## I don't know anything about the VW Nardo......Dooh!
Can you give me some info please. :cheers

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Here you go Steve

Concept/Study, 6 litre W-12
HP: 600 bhp @ 7000 rpm
Torque: 457 lbs-ft @ 5800 rpm
Curb Weight: 2,667 lbs
0-62 mph : Under 3.5 seconds
Top Speed: Over 350 kmh (219 mph)

(from VW Press Release) Nardo / Wolfsburg . Volkswagen took a prototype of its W12 sports car to the Nardo high-speed circuit near Lecce in Southern Italy on February 23 and 24, 2002 and again beat the existing world 24-hour speed record. This exceptional sports car design, with a top speed of 350 km/h, covered a distance of 7,749.4 kilometres at an average speed of 322.89 km/h.

The world record set up only shortly before, on October 14, 2001 with the same car, was beaten by 27.7 km/h, with the car covering 663 kilometres more. This improvement is due to the remarkable reliability of the 440 kW (600 bhp) twelve-cylinder engine, to further development work on the car itself and to its highly motivated crew. A version of the same engine with an output of 309 kW (420 bhp) will power the new Phaeton W12 luxury saloon model that iwas to have its world première early in March 2002 at the Geneva Motor Show.

In parallel with this ultimate speed record, the seven-strong team of drivers also took five more world records and twelve international class records according to the official rules drawn up by the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) for such attempts, and subject to its approval. It amounts to a sensation that the twelve most important class records for distance and time in the segment for prototypes with normally aspirated engines of up to 8,000 cc (category A, group II, class 10) - the class for supersport models - are all held now by a single manufacturer - Volkswagen. This is a situation that has never occurred before.

The world record statistics kept by the FIA reveal a further sensational situation: in the category concerned, Volkswagen holds seven of the twelve world records. Six of them were set up with the W 12 sports car prototype and one back in 1980 with the 'AR VW' (AR = Aero Research), an aerodynamically optimised experimental vehicle. The twelve-cylinder coupé only failed by a tiny margin to capture the eighth world record: its average speed over 500 miles was 327.39 km/h, precisely 2.88 km/h more than the old record. However, the FIA rules call for the new record to be at least one percent above the old figure, which would have meant averaging 327.76 km/h: a scarcely noticeable difference of 0.37 km/h. As a result, the class record is actually higher than the world record.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
By golly Eddie, yes. :happy It's the only Yat Ming model in my "satellite" collection and it is really good, especially the paint. It was a lot of fun photographing this car. "Satellite" means that the car is parked in my son's display case while I focus on growing my race collection. :giggle

Other fine gents: Thanks for your comments. :cheers As my son & I were critiquing the photos, lighting, etc. yesterday, photos #2 and 3 surfaced as being our favourites too.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your kind words Jeff. Well you know, if it wasn't for the generosity of one fine gentleman from Ohio :wink I would have even had this car to photograph. :cheers :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
dang, those look like pics that would grace the cover/brochures for the real car! VERY VERY nice!

While here I am, not being able to hold still a digicam, and Felix does amazing things with a $10 model and a halogen light :cry

G

·
StygianMax said:
Oh no way Felix. No one should be able to take a photograph this breathtaking unless they're doing it for a living. You've outdone yourself this time and that's no easy task. I'm your humbled fan. :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your most complimentary words Gary. Well considering my digicam is a 3.2Mpix (kinda old :giggle ), it goes to show that pretty much anyone can take decent pics like me. Okay, so you need a tripod. But that's pretty much it. :wink You'd be surprised at what you coudl pull off with some basic props. Take the other Gary (AR_V6) as an example and I see him starting to pull off some pretty cool photos. :nicejob :nicejob

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your encouraging feedback Tom. Gee shucks....you're making me blush. :giggle :giggle Taking these diecast photos is a hobby in itself for me, and a total blast at that. When there isn't any money involved or deadlines, it's a hobby in its purest form; one that's pursued just for the love of it. If my diecast photos can strike any sort of an emotional chord in my respected fellow collectors, that is enough satisfaction for me. :cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.