DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi,
I'm sure everyone is aware of this, but if you have models with race tires (any tire without tread), leaving it on glass can leave marks on the tires, unless you frquently move them around. I noticed this on one of mine. I know some people put their models on little lifts so the tires don't make contact with the glass. How frequently has this happened to the rest of you?
:feedback

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I think glass is the best surface possible to sit the tires on, because it's inert. It would be much worse if the car was sitting on painted or varnished wood, because then the rubber of the tires could interact with elements of the paint or varnish. But even on glass there's the problem of the car's weight, and even a 1:18 can have it's wheel "squared out" over time.

The best way to avoid all this is without a doubt to suspend the car by the undercarriage, in a way that the rubber does not have contact with the surface below. If it's sitting on glass (or any other surface, for that matter) I think it's wise to every once in a while rotate the wheels.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
any problems if I leave them in the boxes? The tires usually have contact with the styrofoam...

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I wouldn't leave them in the box if it has styrofoam. Styrofoam has smell, so it does liberate gases, and these gases may get to the rubber. I've heard of some cars by Minichamps getting sticky tires after the owner kept them closed in their boxes for a long time.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
argh! thanks for the heads up, Luciano!

Guess I better take out my AUTOart Milleniums and my Minichamps model!

I think the Minichamps ones probably have more problems because their models are heavier?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I have had my cars on glass shelves in Ikea Billy cases and have not found any problems. I don't collect any kind of race cars, so that might have something to do with it.

Take your cars for a "spin" every once-in-a-while and problem solved. :giggle

G

·
i have the problem the other way around

my big 1/12's leave a small imprint behind on my glass shelfs
and it's very hard to get it back off afterwards, no problems with the tyres though

G

·
No problems with any of mine , which are on Beech shelves in the Billy cases .

I do however , rotate the wheels periodically just to make sure. :cheers

G

·
Thanks for the advice !!!

For the moment I am not concerned as my models are all in their box !! (I collect first, I will display later...)

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
if it's a small rubber mark, try using some of your wifes hair spray. it should remove it. spray it directly onto the mark and rub off. I use to use it all the time for removing permanent black marker inf off of glass.

if that doesn't work, try some tar and adhesive remover.

oh yeah, a good dose of elbow grease may be required, but overall both methods should work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do you guys think that the climate plays a role in whether tires leave a mark on the display surface or vice-versa? What I mean is direct sunlight vs. indirect, humid weather vs. dry weather, etc.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
UV radiation will make the rubber dry. Heat (ambient heat) is not enough to cause a problem to tires, but it may dry decals. Humidity doesn't afect rubber.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The tyres on my Bentley Speed 8 (1:18 scale) went flat after sitting on a platform and they leek a nasty black liquid...is this the stuff you mean?

I wouldn't let them hold their own weight for extended periods, I think a support for the model is a good idea.

Mark

G

·
All my display case modells sit on a cloth base,to date i have had no problems.
But i do rotate the tyres from time to time just in case :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
cloth... I think i'll do that too. I think that's the safest, as I can't get my hands on a dust free glass cabinet.

Most of the stupid cabinets are designed to have little slits left after closing, meaning lots of dust on my models. It's impossibly hard to find good ones where everything is enclosed.

G

·
I place mine on glass shelves and I always inspect if some tire patches become fat (the spot where the rubber touches the glass). There has never been such a problem. Seems like I move them too much.. :giggle

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Here's a shot of my AUTOart Bentley EXP Speed 8. The model has been sitting for a long time and it seems to have flattened the wheels a little and now leeks this nasty stuff:

I rotated the wheels, which seems to help, but for anyone looking to display their cars I'd recomend following the advise of members here and using something to support the car so that the wheels are off the display surface.

:cheers

Mark

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.