DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello...i saw in on the internet some Ferrari 512M models and there was a description that or other car is a "non elite version"

so i wonder if was an Elite version of the car...and when you have this model, where are the differences, fine details and other things? :D

i bought a red 512M, and i know its on of the first MW models (more a toy than a model car), i know its the ugliest Testarossa version...but i like it :) on pictures its a poor looking model, but the model overall looks quite good :)

so if you have an Elite of this, pictures please...

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
No Elite sadly. Hot Wheels is full of surprises so maybe one day in the near future.
while not the prettiest TR it did start the trend of round tail lights in modern Ferrari's which is now a hallmark.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
No Elite sadly. Hot Wheels is full of surprises so maybe one day in the near future.
while not the prettiest TR it did start the trend of round tail lights in modern Ferrari's which is now a hallmark.
Well I'll be danged, thanks Tony, the penny never dropped before....
I have the 'foundation' Hot Wheels 512M (both in red and the 'pseudo chrome' Millennium versions) l and it's alright IMO.....

·
Super Moderator
5,661 Posts
F512M is one of my favorite Ferrari, I absolutely love it. It seems unpopular but there is a small minority of us Ferrarista like me who love it. The cool rims and round taillights made it special, but there were F-cars with the same style of taillights before, if you count 288 GTO and F40.

I don't think I would buy an Elite if it was made, I've the original release and it is good enough for me. However, I would be so, so, so happy if Mattel were to make a blue FX - an extremely rare special commission based off the F512M with those same awesome rims: http://www.supercars.../cars/3597.html

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, and in the headlights you can see some pre-Maranello forms :)..i like the wheels, like the new rearlights, looove the front how it looks :)...but together (especially from the sideview) is there a big dismatch...however its a interesting looking car :)...Kyosho , when you listening. its your turn ! :D :D :D (yes, i know that Mattel has the Ferrari licence now, i just dreamin :D )

G

·
Actually I like the 512M too. It may not be the best looking Testarossa, but as a car it is the best of them.
Its design clues actually come from the Mythos show car, which was based on the original TR. The wheels are straight from the Mythos . same goes for the headlights and the round fog lamps.
Regarding the taillights, they predate the 512 M with a couple of decades.
If Mattel make an Elite F512M I'll buy it immediately, but I doubt it will ever happen.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
As I mentioned, 512 started the round tail lights started the trend in modern Ferrari's, yes earlier Ferrari's had them but they were lost when Ferrari tried to contemporize. The 1988 328 had them, then they got covered with the 348. I hope they never go away.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
As I mentioned, 512 started the round tail lights started the trend in modern Ferrari's, yes earlier Ferrari's had them but they were lost when Ferrari tried to contemporize. The 1988 328 had them, then they got covered with the 348. I hope they never go away.
Actually thinking about it the 365/BB had round tail lights (albeit six) and I think that was about 1970.....der..

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Oh mylanta this is becoming painful

Round tail lights have been on Ferrari's since the 40's.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

To further clarify my statement, the 512M re-introduced round tail lights on road-going Ferrari's since their departure on the 1988 1/2 Ferrari 328. Yes, they were present in many decades. BUT they went noticeably absent in the late 80's / early 1990's. The 512M brought them back with a bang.

My intepretation of the word "modern" is a road going Ferrari of 1990's/2000's vintage.

Attachments

G

·
I see your point, but frankly you are wrong.
Ferrari always had, do now and will have more than one model line in their range. The "signature" status of two pairs of round tail lights was introduced with the 246 Dino and then reaffirmed by the 512BB, which was their "flagship" at the time, which was replaced by the TR in 1984 (outside your definition of modern Ferrari). 246,308,328, Mondials, were all with basically identical "signature" two pairs of round tail lights. The 348 tried something different which obviously did not work and they went back to the "signature" design. Parallel to the TR the 288GTO (introduced same year) had the signature tail lights and so did the F40, F50 and Enzo. In their 4 seat line (often overlooked) the "signature" lights were always present through the 400i, 412, 456, 612.
The 512M did not introduce anything. The TR just tried something different and was the exception, which considering the history of the company was insignificant.
Our day, in the really modern models we see a single round taillight, which is a nod to the 275, Lusso etc.

·
Administrator
34,189 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts