DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Loves Cars
374 Posts
... and has found a new home. Even though it was the wrong color (green versus black), I gave it to my Dad tonight as a birthday present. I was a bit hesistant at first, as he is no diecast enthusiast, however he had owned a 1:1 black one as a young man and I wanted to get him this model for his office.

To my surprise, he absolutely LOVED IT! :happy I knew he would like it, but I wasn't sure how much. He couldn't put it down! Immediately afterwards, he went around the house like a little kid looking for a particular family memeber who restores old Triumph's, MG's, Willy's, etc... to show him the model, as he was the only other person besides myself, who could truly appreciate such a gift.

I told him to leave it in the box for now, as I would get a display case from KB to put it in. I already got him a Austin Healey 3000 MKII a couple years ago as well, which turned out to be the one car he had wanted, but never got in favor of a 1972 Porsche 911. He was tickled with that one too, but tonight he said that he liked the TR3A leaps and bounds better than the Healey or the other diecast I got him, a white Jeep Wrangler, which was just like the one we had rented in St, John / Virgin Islands last year.

I gotta say, I really like giving these 1/18's away to people who enjoy them (especially my Dad), almost more than I like getting one for myself. I'd buy him 100 more if I knew it would make him as happy as the TR3A did. :happy :yahoo :joy

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
That's great to hear! It's funny how these little cars can mean so much to people for different reasons. They can bring back lots of happy memories!!!

The TR3A is gone, but to a home where it will be GREATLY appreciated!!! Good call with the gift.

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Fantastic, Josh - sounds like you couldn't have got your dad a better gift!

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Excellent story - it'd odd how a little bit of diecast can invoke emotions.

I'm thinking of getting a 1:18 of a Batmobile, as a friend is really into Batmobile, and upon seeing my collection, has commented that he'd like a Batmobile at some point.

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Josh, you found out a bit of a secret.
It is much more pleasureable to brighten someones day with a diecast than it is to buy another one to throw on your pile.
My happiest moments in this hobby have been being able to give cars to my friends.

So glad that the Triumph was such a hit with your Dad! :cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.