DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that Exoto's future isn't looking good? No new releases, higher prices, detail quality in many models as good as a current AUTOart or Kyosho (that costs less then half the price). I don't know, that doesn't sound like a promissing combination on a competitive market. What do you guys think?
:feedback

·
Registered
191 Posts
A few months ago the Exoto Newsletter stated that they would be changing over to their own manufacturing facilites. I imagine this will take some time to get up and running, then resume production. Financial backing is not an issue with them I've been told by several different sources-they will produce what they have said they will , only it will take even longer. Those who are patient will see the models they have announced. I'm in my mid 50s and hope I live long wnough to see it :nutkick

G

·
I am seeing more topics of better customer service from Exoto.

If someone is making an Exoto purchase, then price is definitely not an issue with them as they are already familiar with the costs associated with Exoto, solid customer service is.

So if they are satisfied with the later,then the former really doesn't matter.

High prices and no new releases in a competitive market...I really don't think that is something that applies to Exoto. They have already carved out their niche market in this hobby as well as outside of the hobby as other companies have done the same as well.

I don't think Exoto is in panic mode yet...but thats from looking in from the outside.

G

·
Exoto's are worth every penny :happy I'm kinda glad they stopped for a while, now I can get caught up a little :giggle :danbana

:cheers

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have never bought an Exoto, but considering what they charge for them, I'm a little disappointed by their looks. I know they're very detailed (as they should be), but they seem to use a lot of plastic. For the same price, you can get a CMC, which, to me, seems a cut above Exoto. I could be wrong, but there seems to be less use of plastic in CMCs. However, one edge Exoto has over CMC is range of content. If I want a detailed model of an AC Cobra (which I do), I'd have to go to Exoto. Pre-war Mercedes race cars can get old (no pun intended) after a while.

To address the issue, I wouldn't be surprised if Exoto goes belly-up. We all know how volatile this market is. Just because Exoto makes light-hearted products doesn't mean crappy business practice and skills will make them money. They need to get their act together if they're notorious for being full of hot air. :mine

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
My :mine

I like some of the subject matters that Exoto has done and I have a few. I have never paid full MSRP on any of them (maybe one that my wife gave as a Christmas present) and I would not pay it on any of them. Then again, I don't like to pay full MSRP on any brand. It is not my brand of choice as I don't collect race cars, so only a limited selection of their offering will ever make it trough my hands.

The customer service/arrogance issues are well documented with their customers and the vendors they sell to, but I do not have any personal proof as it has never happened to me.

A company like Exoto will not go belly-up, but simply will be bought by a bigger company to make a hi-line out of them. Is it inconceavable that some day HotWheels will make a $200 diecast (in value) but sell it for $100? But make a 30,000 run of them.

I think that our infant and growing hobby will undergo what the 1:1 market did in the 50's. The Exotos and ??? will be the DeSotos and Kaisers of the past. Small, innovative companies that will be gobbled up by the Big Three.
The deep pockets of companies like Maisto, RC2 and Mattel will be too big of a temptation to the owners of smaller companies. Believe it or not, even egos have a price.

Anyways, I don't have a crystal ball or inside knowledge, but just a business hunch.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
It has been something to watch with Exoto.
Its amazing that they can raise the prices as much as they have and yet ofer nothing new. Higher prices on new releases is one thing but the size of the price hike across the board is pretty hard to take.
I think the first Exoto releases were around $100 and then went to $129 after a short time. I had a problem with the $169 price but in reality I never paid that much. The $189 was too much for me to take and I have not bought an Exoto since mainly because of the lack of new cars.

Its plain to me that they have completely changed their marketing focus to another type of buyer. The hard core multiple car buyers like us seem to be out of their plans and the high end impulse buyers seems to be the new target.
You can see how few dealers handle Exoto compared to even a year ago and also the fact that Exoto itself is selling a ton on ebay.

Perhaps their TV advertising is paying off?

I really do not think that Exoto is in danger of going out of business as I understand there is a lot of money behind the owners, not sure if Exoto has to be all that profitable, it may be just a playtoy and a place for the Brothers "K" to park their Ferraris :giggle

I am afraid that they have priced me out of the market, I wil not pay $200+ for their cars. The high price takes all the fun out of it for me.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the biggest problem: their biggest consumers were us, the hardcore collectors, and it seems that they don't need our cash anymore. If they're aiming their batteries at the casual buyer, how many casual buyers do you think will blow away money on toy cars like we do?

G

·
I think Exoto makes some very nice diecasts, but do not think their customer relations strategy is healthy. I do not wish ill of them because I like and own some of their products, however in my opinion they have a lot to learn about how to value clients and build return business.

Unless I were to see a "major" turnaround in customers praising Exoto customer service and relations, I have to remain unconvinced that there's been any real change. I've personally experienced their treatment (on more than one occasion) and it was very disturbing. From what I've read across multiple diecast boards, there is clearly a problem in this area that suggests it not just problematic customers. Even Dealers openly complain about the same things. Look at Exoto's replies to customer complaints with their eBay sales and you'll "catch the drift". Someone complains = they are blacklisted. I have two pieces of advice:

a) Don't deal with Exoto directly (buy from a Dealer who understands the value of a customer)

b) If you deal with Exoto direct, be ready to debate the meaning of "is" when talking about defects.

Just my :mine

Rick

G

·
Mmmmmm.........an interesting topic.

I have only bought my Exoto's on e-Bay or from a hobby shop.

I think their models are quite sensational value for money (over here in OZ). I have never paid MRSP on any of their models. In fact i have been tempted to buy from them using their 'holiday coupons' on the e-mails sent but the shipping price to Australia is HUGE :cry

I often find their models on the internet at very good prices. I select a model (like i did with the Sauber C9) then wait till i find it at the right price. Half the fun in my opinion is finding the model you are after at a good price.

My first Exoto purchase was the #16 Porsche 934 RSR - Vasek Polak. I think i paid around $170 AUS plus postage. A screaming bargain in my book. My second purchase was from a German website. I picked up the sensational 935 White Client version brand new for 55.55 Euro LESS German VAT! The model cost me about $90 AUS. The exact same model in retail shops here was $340 AUS at the time!

The 'feel' of their models is right up there in my opinion.

Exoto and CMC are in my opinion the best value i have seen.

That's my :mine anyway!!

:cheers

Timbo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts