DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know , Im a Porsche nut , but have recently found myself being lured by the dark side of American iron :giggle

As my expertise is rather limited in this field , I would love some help in determining how good some cars are before I take the plunge and buy them.

Heres a few cars Im interested in

Lane exact detail Camaro Crusher

Ertl Authentics Z28 Camaro

Ertl Corvette L88

HW61 Challenger RT

Lane exact detail 68 Firebird

Any advice would be appreciated :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I have never been a big fan of the Lane Camaro, I think I would get the Ertl at half the price.
Still, the Crusher is a cool looking car.

The Ertl C3 Vettes leave me rather cold, much better off with a Motorbox.

HW61 E bodys looke to be extremely well done ansd I can't give an opinion on the Firebird except that it looks to be very well done.

That is my story and I am sticking to it :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started adding American Muscle to my collection maybe a year ago.

And 1 year later, half of my collection consist of Muscle Cars now :giggle

Some of the Ertl models don't come cheap, Ertls seems to be holding their retail value really well. Not only on eBay but also through the first market retailers too.

The L88 Corvettes seem to be a little primitive, even when you consider their early relase dates.

I am really liking the newer Highway 61's models.

The Lane models seem to be an acquired taste of sorts. Love some and wouldn't dare to own others.

Either way, its a slippery slope and whatever you do, don't look at Al's collection.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I can't speak for the Lane Crusher, but I DO know ERTLS are not very detailed. I have a HW61 Challenger and while they're detailed, their ERTL roots show through in the slip-shod chrome work and other features.

I've seen the Lane Firebird first-hand and HIGHLY recommend it. The chrome is top-notch, the engine is heavily detailed, the paint is great, and the interior is what you'd expect for the price. :cheers

·
Registered
345 Posts

Gary, the Lane Firebird is top notch. This Camaro is a great piece as well but I'm not sure about the Crusher. Detail wise I would be inclined to the GMP along the same lines. I have had some quality issues with a few of my Lanes so be sure to buy from a reputable source. The H61s are great buys for the money - I have a Hemi and I love it. It's a really intimidating piece. I also have a Motorbox Vette and while I have never seen an Ertl up close, judging from that pic I'd opt for the former.

:cheers

Warning: Slippery slope ahead!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have several Ertl Authentics Camaros and they are indeed excellent, especially for the money. To my aging eyes they are indistinguishable in quality from the earlier Precision 100 Series.

I also have several Highway 61 models, and they too are great values for the money. The quality, especially the chrome, has greatly improved in the more recent releases.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I only have one of the Ertl Authentics line, the '67 Impala, and it is without question the best $42 model in my collection! :nicejob The detail is incredible, e.g., the seats are soft, fold and slide, the antena retracts, the gearshift is moveable, the driveshaft spins with the rear wheels, the entire underbody is fully detailed, the entire engine bay is fully detailed, ete., etc. Its also very heavy.

If mine is similiar to their other Authentics, then buy them! :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
ArV6 said:
As you guys know , Im a Porsche nut , but have recently found myself being lured by the dark side of American iron :giggle

As my expertise is rather limited in this field , I would love some help in determining how good some cars are before I take the plunge and buy them.

Heres a few cars Im interested in

Lane exact detail Camaro Crusher

Ertl Authentics Z28 Camaro

Ertl Corvette L88

HW61 Challenger RT

Lane exact detail 68 Firebird
Any advice would be appreciated :cheers
Oh Boy! Oh Boy, it's payback time! I did not have many porker when I joined DX, and because of you, I now have 40+ of them. :giggle

The Lane Camaro- I don't have the Crusher as I don't go for that look but the Lane's Camaros in general are good for the time they were released since they have dog-legs and hinges and no carpet. If I was going to have just one Lane, I would get one of the Yenkos. We sure were impressed when they were first release, but I don't see them as being great bargains at MSRP anymore (except the Yenkos).

The Ertl Authentic- I definite right step by Ertl. You can't go wrong for the price point. I have the red one one, but I if didn't, I would get black one (I already had the Lane black one). Real hinges, carpet and all plumbing at a great price.

The Ertl L-88. Come one guys! This mold is almost 16 year old and it was pretty good for the day, so comparing it to the Motorbox is apples and oranges. Besides, Motorbox only made ONE release 4-5 years ago and never released another (roadster). Also, the Motorbox is a L-79 (small block). If you want a top-down, big block '63-67 'Vette, Ertl is the only one that makes one.
I am no making excuses for them as they are crude by today's standard, but it is what it is.
If you are willing to take it appart and do some mods to it, it will present well.

The Hot Wheels/61 Challenger. Great bargain for the price. They had some BMF issues on some of the releases, but over all they have improved them since the first. Now that the SC exclusive has run out, Hot Wheels/61 can release them (and the Cudas) under their own name and make them more affordable. Believe or not, I gave away my two examples and I have yet to replace them but in the meantime I have plenty of Ertls to keep me company.
I don't get SF comment to where the Ertl roots show :confused and they are again apples and oranges. The Ertl mane is the only thing they share. If you got a bad one, send it back! If you bought it second hand from an individual, then I am sure you got a heck of a deal.

The Lane Firebird- another that you can't go wrong with. I don't have a convertible yet, but the coupes I have are top-notch! real hinges, carpet and on and on!
I am partial to the white H.O. with red interior.

Don't stop there, you must get any one of the Lane's Cutlass' or 442's!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Al,

I had no idea that Corvette mold was 16 years old. Wow.

And they still don't come cheap after all this time. Say what you want about the Ertl's, they sure do hold their value.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
If you want excellent quality Muscle Cars...you'll have to go with GMP, Lane/Exact Details and Highway 61....you won't regret any buys in those brands. ( I too, have a crush on the Camaro Crusher)

As for the ERTL Corvette, if you wanna judge by yourself, here's some pictures of mine....it's an L71 but it's basically the same :

Click on any image to see it bigger!

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The first one was released in '91! So if you think about the R&D time added to it, it is that old. I remember buying my first Ertl (yellow Boss 320) and the red 'Vette was next to it at TRU.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:mine Well, here's my 2 cents worth...I differ from some in that I feel the Lane Camaros are generally well done. Very good fit and finish. Find the 1967 Lane Z/28, its more accurate. The proportions are better (the wheels appear to be closer to scale correct 15 inch wheels, whereas the Ertl Authentic wheels look like 17 inchers. Also the Lane has the correct air cleaner which mates to the firewall/cowl.) These two details more than make up for the dogleg hood hinges in my opinion! But the Crusher Camaro was a let down from the original 1:1. I followed that story back in 90's in the magazine... I purchased one, just because I thought it might be collectable later, but this car is flawed...the roll bar does not align with the seam on the rear quarter window. You cant see disc brakes thru the wheels, the rear tires are not wider than the front, etc. etc.

You can not lose with the Lane Exact Detail Firebirds. :cheers

The HWY 61 cars are excellant buys, I have 6-7, (Including Cudas but no Challengers yet) and I have not seen any issues with quality...

The Motormax Corvettes cars are better detailed than the Ertls out of the box...however if you ever closely examine an Ertl, you will see lots of detailing, you just need to paint it yourself... Good luck!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece, but the chrome work, in my opinion, doesn't match up with that of Lane or GMP. Also, it doesn't have the heft or quite as much engine detail as the others (although the hinges are nice). The wheels and tires aren't as convincing to me, either. While comparing it to a GMP or a Lane might not be the BEST comparison, I still think if you're gonna pay more than $50 for an old-school muscle car (I paid ~$60 for my Challenger), a GMP or a Lane is the better choice. :mine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.