DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Oak244
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some peoples awesome Pictures on this and other sites. I have always had to use a Kodak Digital Camera as its the only one easily compatible with my work program. However I do not like the up close detail I am getting of my cars. I am considering buying a personal/Not work related Camera for nice detailed pictures and would like your recomendations. Thanks!

G

·
I use a Canon Powershot A70:

Lots of manual settings, but only if you want to use them.

If you want to make clear close-up pictures, you wanna make sure that the camera has a macro function. =>

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I use a 3 year old Canon S30 (looks a lot like the S50 pictured above). It's 3.2Mpix which is kind of small by today's standards. Until I have enough funds to get a digital SLR, I'll somehow make do with it.

I'd recommend a digicam that comes with manual features and a macro (close-up) mode. That way, you get a lot more versatility in the way you set up your photoshoots. For clean crisp edge definition/focus on our diecasts, good lighting is a must. If you choose to use artificial ligthing, one or two halogen lights is a good investment. Personally, I'd stay away from incandescent type bulbs. The broader the light spectrum, the better your diecasts will look (colour-wise).

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My Camera is the Fuji FinePix S3500 Zoom (4 megapixels) whilst I realise it's not the best on the market, it was reasonably cheap (and getting cheaper) and I am very :happy with it.

I get very very good 15 x 12 in pictures out of it, using a professional digital printer, which coincidently is a Fuji Frontier Digital Minilab.

This is a very good review site
http://www.dcviews.com/press/Fuji-S3500.htm

G

·
I have a Canon Powershot S500, I don't think I have used the capability of the camera yet...

To take good shots of close up with good details, you will need a tripod to steady the camera and make sure the camera is set up far enough, otherwise, a close up zoom in will be blurry.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I now use an Olympus C-5500 that I got for $252 at Sam's. It is a 5.1MP and I think it has a 5X zoom.
I great all-around family camera. I have always used Olympus since the beginning, so it is hard to switch. I came close to getting the Sony W5 but the thought of spending another $100 on a memory stick turned me off. I already had a large media chip for the Olympus.

When choosing a camera, consider how much the extra media is going to cost you as most new ones come with a rather small one from the factory.

G

·
I now use one of these .

Konica Minolta Dimage Z2

3X Digital zoom
10x Optical zoom
Macro & Super Macro modes

More than I need really , but I figure its better to have it and not use it than......

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
What you do after the picture is taken is as important as what camera you use.

You can get some trememndous pics out of a so-so camera.

Even a 2MP camera with some good features is a much better camera than most of us are photographers :giggle

The editing is what makes the biggest difference in the end result.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts