DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a definition of what a "serious collector" is?

I was reading another topic and someone mentioned the term.

I have seen the term used sparringly over the years here and to this day, I still do not know what the heck it means of even if it has a definitive meaning.

I have been in the hobby a short time compared to most and a little longer than the newbie who just purchased their first model - I wouldn't coniseder myself more serious than any of those whose tenure falls in the aforementioned categories.

I know some collectors who have been collecting for 10-15 years and they Maisto, Ertl and Hot Wheels's in their collection with very few premium models to mention.

Then I see some collectors who have been in the hobby less than 3-4 years and all they have is Exoto, CMC's and various other premium brands - not a budget model to be found in their collection.

So which of the two is more serious collector :whatline

Personally, I think there is no such thing as a serious collector and the term can only be used with meaning in certain circumstances - none of which I can think of at this late hour - I'm so tired my mind is like mush :lol

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
The term itself is really far too subjective to have a broad meaning in the diecast world. It can, however, certainly have a meaning to the individual collector and how they view their collecting habits -- regardless of what type of models they collect (or how much they spend).

Now, I have also heard the term used in a way that is meant to diminish other collectors (or their collections), and when I do I can't help but laugh, because all that goes to show is that the person is VERY insecure about something in their life (perhaps) and that they feel the need to think of themselves as superior to someone else based solely on a the "supposed" merits of their collection. :giggle

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think the term serious collector is pretty shallow. My collection is not huge compared to some, but I don't care because I collect the models that I like. I don't have budget models in 1:18, but I do in 1:43 - but this is more to do with a price vs detail judgement that I make and not a conscious decision to avoid any particular models.

At the same time I only have one truly premium 1:43 and three in 1:18. I can't afford a collection of nothing but BBR and Exoto.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit in the category of a casual fan with a few models and at the same time I not going to fit in with someone that owns 10,000 models.

So am I serious? Nope. I'm in it purely for the enjoyment.

:cheers

Mark

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
To me, a serious collector has to have passion towards the hobby. You could have 5 budget models or 1000 premium ones. Number of models or the dollar value is NOT in the equation. You don't have to know the production numbers of every model ever made but a curiosity to always learn more. Collecting these little (or not so little) gems is heartfelt. When you acquire a model, it's because it stands for something more than a shaped hunk of plastic and metal. Whether it is a replica of a car of your favorite driver, a replica of your first 1:1, because it is a representation of your need to go fast or whatever...it has to mean something.

In order to be given a title (such as Serious Collector), you usually have to fit a certain set of criteria or meet a standard. I'm sure that with the 2000+ members we have we would get 2000+ different answers.

Change my first line to say: I have the utmost respect for any collector who has a passion towards the hobby.

Sean

·
Registered
4,291 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
I am not a serious collector at all
I joke around way too much to be serious :giggle

I think the term is one that is used by little minded people to try to feel better about themselves and bigger than others.

Its just like when you have some idiot at a football game who paints his face in team colors and takes his shirt off in freezing weather and barks/yells/screams that he is a "REAL FOOTBALL FAN" to anyone that will listen.

They need to do this to somehow feel that they are better or more connected to whatever their hobby/passion is
Why? Maybe its the Small P**** Syndrome? :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do we really need to define 'serious collector'? Do we really need to define 'collector'? Do we really need a definition for everything? Do we really need a definition for anything? Do we really need definitions?

:giggle Define 'definitions'...

Seriously - I'm not a serious collector (huh?). I collect because I enjoy model cars. As simple as that. Period.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know, maybe there could be several.

1 - One who collects specific models based on more then just their craftmanship and exterior appeal, such as the history behind the model in question etc.

2 - One that has ALOT of diecasts :giggle

Since i don't always buy a model based on it's appealing and interesting history, nor have alot of models, i guess i'm not a "serious collector" by those definitions.

/Rich :cheers

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
A "Serious Collector" could be used to describe someone whom collects models for the love of collecting not expecting to make a huge profit out off it, and collect models from many different manufacturers on what ever topic he likes and not the current vogue! :dizzy

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
If this is correct, I think most of us are 'serious collectors' : I love collecting diecasts, I do not collect with the intention to sell them again later on (and make profit), I collect different manufacturers (budget and premium) and different topics (race/street/trucks)....Does this make me a serious collector ? What is serious ? A huge amount of items..or great value...or historic important....or....
I love/like my diecasts and if I see people around me starting to :giggle when I tell them I collect little cars??? You can not be taken serious in my humble opinion.... :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I think the term exists and applies to many here. I for sure think of myself as a serious collector. I'm in the hobby for the long run, and have spent a LOT in display cases, web site, photographic material, wax, and other "acessories", and I know by heart the story behind each of my models (well, most of them anyways). I spend way too much time thinking about diecasts, and way too much money on them. Though I don't consider my collection as serious, since it isn't big and isn't very focused, and afterall, I basically buy what speaks to my heart. But of all the things I ever collected in my life, diecasts is by far the collection that I most commited to, both in time and money. In fact, I'm so commited to collecting that I worry about the future of the hobby.

If all that isn't being serious about the collection I honestly don't know what is.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
At the risk of being accused of "little man/small p***s" syndrome by Jeff, :giggle I suppose I think of my self as a "serious collector". Not in an arrogant "I'm better than you kind of way", but just because I've invested alot of time, money and passion into my collection over the past ten years. I've never bought a model with the intention of selling on (and I haven't sold one yet!), and I have a wide range of models in my collection (budget, premium, inbetween, race cars, street cars and so on) so I like to think I have a broad minded approach to the models I consider buying as well.

Cars (both 1:1 and 1:18th) are in truth a consuming passion for me, and I love to research the history behind my models, try to photograph them nicely and share what I know about them with any one who wants to know about them!

So perhaps "serious" is not the best word to describe what sort of collector I am, but rather I think I'm a "passionate, often broke" collector! :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Same here Ronan! That's how I define the very subjective term "serious". I am passionate about the hobby, enjoy it a lot, like to share it with other enthusiasts, hang out at DX, DX is the HOT SPOT !!!, my own website and other similar sites, photograph my models, get exited when a new model (within my collecting subject) comes out and like you, do a little research. I wish I had more time to customize some of my models.

C'mon Darrick! I think you are THE consumate serious collector!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Here is my thought on this subject,

The term Serious Collector is used towards a collector for how many models one has & not who the collector is or what the collection is made up of, as it's usually a view from a non collectors point of veiw towards the collection. So the people with the biggest collections are then usually classified Serious Collectors, again only due to the size of the collections, tho the size of the collection I have no idea but it used in all aspects of different hobbies & collections.
Its just they way I have seen this term used, & is my opinion only.

So when someone asked you how many models you have, & you give them the number & they say ARE YOU SERIOUS, then you have the answer if you are or are not a Serious Collector :giggle

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Like Ric says, the term 'serious collector' is highly subjective and is going to mean something different to everyone. Am I a serious collector? I don't know, but I know I am serious about my collection. I look at it as something that does not really hinge on how many models you have. If it is something you are going to be involved in for a long time, your serious. If you are just hoarding models and you are going to pack them away or sell them off when your interest gets sparked by something else, that would constitute not-so-serious.

Now being a Double-Serious Collector, that is something quite different. . .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.