DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not hearing much from this company in the last year, I am starting to wonder if they will be saying good bye to the type of cars that we collect. I know that they are trying to get the Bburago brand up and running again but they sure aren't bring much (if any) new product to market.
Looking back to even 2005, over half of there new releases were G-Rodz, Players, Pro Rodz or bikes. 2005 was also the last year that release a car in the Motorsport line.

2005 saw 192 releases while 2006 saw 59. Once again around half of the releases were non traditional and most were only repaints. There were a few new tools but noting like in years past.

2007 has 52 releases scheduled and from the looks of the list, no new product, just repaints.
Over the last 2 years, I can think of about 10 totally new releases, there may be a few more than that but clearly Maisto is not the same company it was but then again, the hobby is not the same either.

I went on a diecast hunt yesterday, going to 2 Targets, 4 Wal Marts, 2 K marts and a KB Toys outlet. Things are looking very, very bleak. KB, who used to have hundreds of diecast was down to about 20 cars and they were pushed to the back. They used to be right in the front where you walked in. The big box stores all had about 5 cars each. No wonder maisto is doing less and less stuff, there is no place to sell them :dizzy

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
in my humble opinion, the only good looking thing Maisto Made lately, is the Gallardo Roadster!

·
Loves Cars
374 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
\

Good to know I am not the only one out there that does this! :happy My wife thinks I am crazy... although I am on a first name basis with one of the sotre managers at the KB Outlet by my house!

I have noticed that the KB Toys in the mall by me, has all but gotten rid of their diecast section. :-( It will be interesteing to see if Costco carries them again this fall.

G

·
I thought they were going to resurect Bburargo back from the dead?

And again, Maisto was once one of the biggest of the budget brand's, but with the like's of Norev and Solido (The latter especially have made giant step's forward in their product's) being at the top of the budget tree now, it maybe hard to say what the future may have in store for Maisto.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Maisto has really slowed their 1/18 motorcycle line down too! They only had 4-5 new releases and no repaints. Uh-oh! It may not be looking good for us!

Sean

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Its the same scene in this part of the world too. Same old stuff being put on the shelves with no takers. There are 4 shops I frequent and all have nothing new to show. Same old Dub models.
Hopefully things should change with Maisto bringing out the BMW M5 later this year. But I still need the Maisto of old. The state of my hobby depends on the likes of them.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
It's a trend that is similar here in Norway, all the large toystores has gotten rid of diecasts in 1:18, they have plenty in 1:24 etc.
Maisto only has the playerz series here now, which sucks!

We used to have a lot of Hot Wheels as well, but after they started the Elite brand we havent seen a single one of the new releases.
The last Hot Wheels I bought was the "regular" 430 spider with black box, the one in between the budget and the Elite in quality.

I wonder why it is like this, to me it seems this hobby is larger than ever.....?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If this is actually true, then that's pretty sad. Over here in Canada, Maistos were very cheap if you went to Costco and Superstore and other places. Like $9-$11 a piece. If I get a Norev or Solido off the web, the model itself usually costs me about $30-$40 US (+shipping) and I don't consider that budget (compared to Maisto).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Same for me and I'd been meaning to start a thread about it...
ToysRus and all the rest of them have only the Dubs and the odd American Choppers type thing. Walmart is useless too although in one Wally 600 miles away I stumbled across ONE 1/12 Motormax Ford GT.
Very disappointing as most local hobby shops have disappeared and the few that are left cater mostly to the R/C or train folks. Luckily there are 2 specialty automotive diecast stores within an hour of me but their prices are sometimes very high. At least they offer the advantage of seeing the model first which is a big plus and with the shipping that some Ebay sellers are trying to get the price disadvantage isn't as bad as it used to be. I have a 20+ year relationship with one of the shops and they have always done right by me.
One other hobby shop has a large quantity of older Minichamps/PMA and AutoArt but the prices are way too high for models that are obviously not in demand.
BJ's Warehouse has Maisto but only for the Christmas season.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Since Maisto doesn't make Porsche or Mercedes dealer edition models any more, I have a feeling we just may have seen the best from Maisto with the 911's, Carrera GT and Mercedes SLR. The Gallardo was also a dealer edition for Lamborghini. When Maisto doesn't make DE's they make "less than decent" :giggle models.

No dealer editions=crappy diecasts

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may be on to something, Justin although they still do lots of Porsche D/E's. In fact the Cayman started life as a D/E and I wouldn't call that car a 5 Star effort like the CGT was. Those days seem to be behind us. The D/E Porsche 997 is another model that is nice, but nothing special.
Something is up for sure, I surely miss seeing new stuff from them, I was so hoping that they would be doing a BMW Z4 Coupe but I guess its not in the cards.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
The Cayman was the last Porsche DE model from them I believe. The new Cayenne is also being made by Norev. Maisto's Cayenne wasn't the greatest but for $10-$20 it was pretty good I thought, especially when carpeting and a little paint detail are added. It's almost like the Cayman being the last effort by Maisto for Porsche, they rushed it just said "here", we're done. Interesting for sure. I'm still waiting for a Z4/Z4M Coupe by anyone, what happened with Kyosho???

:happy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.