DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't bought an Exoto model for a few years and I just saw one that looked pretty bad and when I looked in more detail, it was no longer made in the states or China, but in "Dubai".

Anyone know what's going on with them these days....looks like quality has gone down since I looked into them a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I believe they moved their offices from California to Dubai within the last year. I knew the models were made in China, but I didn't know they were making them in Dubai now.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
It has. A big portion of the work force employed by the diecast industry migrated to tghe eletronics industry because it payed more, so diecast companies had to raise their wages. That has been the main reason for the price increments we have seen from many brands.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like nowadays everything that happens, no matter where or what, is prone to be an excuse for price increases. Not only at Exoto but everywhere (n'est-ce pas, Messrs. AutoArt?).
Petrol crises, natural catastrophes, work power market fluctuations... it's all understandable. But I'm afraid that there's more to it - collectors ask for the same quality standards as before? Price increases. Collectors demand an opening door or bonnet? Price increases. Collectors supposedly wish a new model to be produced sooner? Price increases. This model is a racer, so it has a couple more decals than the road version? Price doubles or triples. Can't justify a sky-high price with a not-so-high product quality? Let's sell it with a rolling chassis, or in a pathetic gift box, or in a set of three, or whatever they're willing to swallow... A CEO down there in California sneezes? Price increases. Man, it's a hard, hard hobby life. :pullhair

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally, someone understands. :nicejob

Significantly higher prices should equal a better product. Period.

I can understand marginal price increases not yielding a better product, as it can be easily be associated with the cost of business.

But significantly higher prices and no better product...NOPE!!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
:iagree I completely agree; marginal increases are expected just to keep up with rising costs, but dramatic increases should be accompanied with either a substantial increase in quality or a dramatic explanation!

Exoto production's move to Dubai is particularly puzzeling. I can't believe that labor costs in this country of oil mega-millionairs is cheaper than in China! :confused

So what is happening? :confused Was the entire diecast industry substantially under-valued in recent years and is just now marking up to recoup delayed costs? Has such a great number of new collectors entered the market recently to significantly drive up demand? Have a substantial number of wealthy people just discovered the joys of diecast collecting? :giggle

I don't think so!

So WTF is happening? :pullhair

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:lol

When these gas prices went through the roof a few months ago, I swore that the local gas stations around here were watering down the fuel. Everyone I spoke to made a mention of their cars running terrible.

I am still of the impression that gas stations were skimming some off the top somehow or another.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Neither I nor anyone I know have complained about the quality of the gas, just the price! But I well remember the gas shortage of '73 when I was in college in New Jersey and gas stations either had no gas to sell or limited sales to 3-5 gallons. At least I drove a VW at the time and even today I Would much appreciate supply over price.

I'm sure that many stations, wholesellers, distributors , refineries, pipeline companies, comodidies brokers and of course the oil companies themselves all saw the chace to maximize profits. And one of Murphy's laws is that whenever more than 3 parties are involved, blame can never be assigned! :pullhair

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was watching CNN Business a few weeks ago and they had a report on the three oil companies.

The top three oil companies made more money in 3 months than the top 5 companies in the US did all year for 2005!!!

Some of the companies mentioned were General Electric, Westinghouse and Microsoft.

Thats a lot of $$$$

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.