DiecastXchange Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1154 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Frustration!
I want to fit seatbelts to an Altaya Ford Sierra rally car, which is held together with tri-blade screws.
And these are larger than any such suitable screwdrivers that I have.
Grrrrrrrrrr......
You will need a triangle screwdriver. I have the Ixo one for boxes & a triangle 1.8 for chassis.

This is what I use, £2.18 posted.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manual-Insulated-Screw-Driver-Steel-Triangle-Screwdriver-Repair-Hand-Tool/233487179108?hash=item365ceb9d64:m:mt0cU6Z1LU0u_G3ilxNpoNw

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Frustration!
I want to fit seatbelts to an Altaya Ford Sierra rally car, which is held together with tri-blade screws.
And these are larger than any such suitable screwdrivers that I have.
Grrrrrrrrrr......
You will need a triangle screwdriver. I have the Ixo one for boxes & a triangle 1.8 for chassis.

This is what I use, £2.18 posted.
https://www.ebay.co....LU0u_G3ilxNpoNw
[/quote]
Thanks for the info.
I don't know why some of these models are fixed with these oddballs.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Just a quick info bite to say that I am removing the black striping on a Norev VW Golf MK1.
In similar fashion to the details of AUTOart models listed earlier on this thread, I can confirm that on my model - at least - the main body paint job is good enough to withstand the acetone free NPR that I am using.
So if you fancy some similar changes to your Norev model it should be an easy removal.
Note - I can take no responsibility for any damage that may occur to your particular project from following this advice.....

Incidentally, perhaps those who have modified other brands in similar fashion could warn us modders of any potential issues.
I tried this technique with a SunStar Lancia Stratos and the paint did fade in places - damage was cured to some degree by polishing.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Interesting project on the fantasy Dodge.
The wheelbase looks different though.
Actually, close enough?

In reality, the Challenger was 110 inches, where the Demon was 108.

I have some latitude underneath to shift the chassis one way or another, however what you point out is one of the trade-off's in doing a custom like this.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Actually, close enough?

I have some latitude underneath to shift the chassis one way or another, however what you point out is one of the trade-off's in doing a custom like this.
[/quote]
You could probably reposition the rear suspension easily enough by relocating the leaf springs.
Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Actually, close enough?

[/quote]
You could probably reposition the rear suspension easily enough by relocating the leaf springs.
Good luck with the project!
[/quote]

The front attaching point of the rear suspension is a hole cut in the chassis, and a pre-formed mount on the front of the leaf spring that slips into that hole. Pretty difficult to reposition without considerable surgery (which needs to be identical side to side).

Cross manufacturer diecast customizing is a cruel mistress, as in the real world, things that are common stay common (such as how suspensions or wheels and tires mount), however in the diecast world, there is an incredible variety of means to simulate.

Sometimes you just have to squint your eyes, and hope that it doesn't look that bad if the viewer is five or more feet away.

We do what we can.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
What’s the best way to paint the side “body moldings” on a hot wheels 288 GTO? Brush or mask with tape and airbrush? And with what type of paint? Acrylic and then remove the excess with acetone? Any tips for those supposed to be black moldings for any model for that matter?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
What's the best way to paint the side "body moldings" on a hot wheels 288 GTO? Brush or mask with tape and airbrush? And with what type of paint? Acrylic and then remove the excess with acetone? Any tips for those supposed to be black moldings for any model for that matter?
I'd recommend using Tamiya acrylic flat black XF-1. You could do it either way I suppose. Airbrush would be cleaner with a lot more prep work beforehand in masking the body. Paint brush would have more clean up work afterwards.
I did the black bumper lines on this BMW with a paint brush, masked the area beforehand and used a pencil eraser to rub away any excess once it was fairly dry (tip I got from lateapex).
http://instagr.am/p/B__xGQAJO2i/
You could use non acetone nail polish remover for clean up too, although be very careful as you'll be working on an adge where the paint will be thin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What's the best way to paint the side "body moldings" on a hot wheels 288 GTO? Brush or mask with tape and airbrush? And with what type of paint? Acrylic and then remove the excess with acetone? Any tips for those supposed to be black moldings for any model for that matter?
I'd recommend using Tamiya acrylic flat black XF-1. You could do it either way I suppose. Airbrush would be cleaner with a lot more prep work beforehand in masking the body. Paint brush would have more clean up work afterwards.
I did the black bumper lines on this BMW with a paint brush, masked the area beforehand and used a pencil eraser to rub away any excess once it was fairly dry (tip I got from lateapex).
http://instagr.am/p/B__xGQAJO2i/
You could use non acetone nail polish remover for clean up too, although be very careful as you'll be working on an adge where the paint will be thin.
[/quote]

Thank you for the tip! I was going to use some Vallejo panel wash as I have that laying around for diecast jets. I didn't know of the eraser trick!

·
Premium Member
12,858 Posts
After the wheel swap, I was not enjoying the model too much. Added some decals to spice it up a bit. Let's see if I still like it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Added a couple front splitters from TK Diecast to my Gate NA Miata and AUTOart Hawkeye Impreza STi:

I'd like to change the wheels on the Miata, and add side skirts to both cars sometime...

1101 - 1120 of 1154 Posts