DiecastXchange Forum banner
1241 - 1259 of 1259 Posts

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Interesting - why don’t you clear coat the white?
Could imagine that the difference between clear coated and non clear coated will be visible…?
I never clear coat over white.
Many years ago when building plastic kits forum members warned me that they can 'yellow' over time.
Case in point - my Ottomobile works RS200 rally car was painted white and then with a clear coat, and it's very obvious.
Instead of a strong white it has an ivory tint which on mine wasn't very even, so that some parts are worse than others.
I normally clear coat all other colours, expect some silver/aluminium metallics, where the metal flake effect is smothered.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Thanks - with my silver 300 SL hood I had the same impression: The clear coat seemed to yellow the paint. However the base coat was automotive silver metallic spray and required a clear coat… :unsure:
what clear was this? and are you sure it wasn't just the lighting? I think Slarti is referring to yellowing due to age

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
So 2K would be recommended?
The problem with the spray cans is that once activated they are only 8h usable…
I would only recommend it if you have a 3M respirator with Organic Vapour cartridges. Wear gloves, a gown, a hat, goggles. Stuff is dangerous. I airbrush it so I don't buy the cans but yeah, limited window of use unfortunately

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I only use spray paints, mostly automotive and with some Tamiya or Humbrol.
Tamiya sprays are unrivalled for gloss finishes, their black and clear paint can't be beaten.
Anyone who has questions or is looking for advice, feel free to ask on the forum.
I prefer that the open forum is used rather than personal messages, so that everyone interested can see the answers.
I should also add that I have been working with spray paints for 40+ years, and even then I still find unexpected problems..... :unsure:

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
These are not as clear as I had expected, I think the lens had some misting on it because of the change of temperature, from indoors to outside.
Converted Solido GTV6 rally model into 1985 Spa 24 hours class winner.
Changed the wheelset, happily a BMW M3 race model I have for modding had a very decent match.
Lowered all round, fitted slicks, printed up a some of the decals on my inkjet, replaced exhaust and fitted interior with seat belts and other small details.
These group A cars of the period tended to be stripped of everything that could reduce weight, and lead weights added if required as balancing ballast.
George Cremer and Guy Pirenne were Belgians, always a good choice for the changeable weather around the Ardennes.
Giorgio Francia was Italian and had strong ties to Alfa Romeo, another bonus when trying to win at this gruelling event.

Vehicle Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire Window

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Tire Window Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I bought this Kyosho Audi R8 V10 very, very cheap about 4 years ago, but I never liked the silver bits and ugly chrome front grille on it, and I always wanted to modify it.

(old pic of it, from my Flickr album)

Well, I finally decided to tackle the job this weekend, using parts from a white R8 V8 with black/CF bits, whose white paint has gone dull and so, undisplayable.

I also lowered the front and added German number plates.

Here's the result (crappy pics):

(original silver bits to the right)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

(lowered front)
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Super easy to do. Wheels pop out with little effort, revealing one chassis screw on each well. All the bits pop out with gentle pressure, except the side vents on the engine cover, which are under the glass itself. But the glass is also very easy to remove, so no worries. Overall, very easy to take apart without damaging anything at all. Wish more models were built like that! (y)

Edit: btw, I know kyosho made one in red with the CF blades and that would've been a good start, but unfortunately for me, it wasn't the one I ended up buying...

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I bought this Kyosho Audi R8 V10 very, very cheap about 4 years ago, but I never liked the silver bits and ugly chrome front grille on it, and I always wanted to modify it.

You might also have sprayed the chrome bits black after an hour or so in oven cleaner to remove the chrome.
It's definitely an improvement - chrome does work on some cars, and most certainly not on others.

1241 - 1259 of 1259 Posts