DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking of how diecast have gone mainstream and have been noticed by Madison Ave.

I was lookin at an Ikea catalog and sure enough, in the living room and the bedroom section there are diecast used as props.
Also, a visit to my local Ikea, they use them for props.

I got a Dell computer catalog, and diecast were used in the "natural" surroundings of the computers.

A trip to a local furniture store this past weekend, more diecast as props. And not just the kids furniture section, but office and living room sections.

About 3 week ago, the Target weekly circular had diecast as props. It was spotlighting a desk and the diecast was a prop and not an item for sale.

If you start to look around, you will spot more and more diecast used in advertising.

See, were are not as weird as we thought! :giggle

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
THAT is very cool to read about! Did you recognize who might've made those diecasts? Are they Bburagos or Maistos? Maybe I should goto Ikea too. I need a few more glass shelves anyway. :giggle

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The Target ad was a Yat-ming Studabaker truck. The Dell ad was a MotorMax navicross concept (both 1/18s) At Ikea, there are literally everywhere. Get the catalog and play "Where is Waldo" with it. I have spotted about 10 so far.
On page 66, on the Lacks entertainment center there is a silver roadster (could be a Shelby Series 1)
On page 96 and 97 I spotted 5 of them. A Bettle, a Gullwing, a New Bettle, an old Porsche, and a Lambo. They all look like Bburagos and all 1/18s.

The local furniture store had 1/24's off all makes. Some were the new Johnny Lightning Muscle cars.

G

·
There is a tv advertisement for an auto insurance company here that uses an Ertl Freelander and a Revell BMW 530i.
I still get excited when I spot a diecast on the 'mainstream' media. :giggle

:cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I guess i will have to start paying attention to some advertising then :giggle

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
My favorite show was Home Improvement because Tim had diecasts scattered all over in his house.
The first model I seen in a print ad was a Burago Bugatti EB110 in red. It was a decor piece for a fancy bathroom. Guess models in bathrooms are not a new phenomenon after all. :giggle
The first model in a tv ad was a Corvette C5. I think it was an ad for a wristwatch.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been watching "Home Improvement" on DVD and I was blown away by how many diecast are used on the show. Lots of Bburago and early Maistos so far since the show started in 1991. Maybe the latter seasons have some latter models.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've noticed that the show "Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain" has diecasts all over the place. He has really nice displays too. He usually has a couple of nice NASCAR diecasts on the his main table, and then in the center of the desk facing towards the camera he has some IRL diecasts and then to the side, he has a glass display with F1 diecasts like Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Renault. I've also seen one episode where the main diecasts on the his table were the F1 ones. I always like seeing diecasts in mainstream media.

G

·
I noticed a lot of the models on Wind Tunnel are very nice replicas too.

The one thing about it all - none of us would really display our models like such :lol

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Not amny of us have TV shows either! :lol Seems like Dave is always rotating out his diecasts. I wonder how they come into his posession of the show. Are they Daves? Do they belong to a director or cameraman? If they are bought just to show on his desk, where do they go when they are replaced???

Sean

·
Registered
4,910 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was watching Last Man Standing and noticed several diecast "Tim" office. I am surprised that non are Saleens. The one on the desk is a Maisto Bel Air, and the green looks like a Highway 61 Cuda, but the blue one has me stumped.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts