DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Automotive Engineer
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like that particular Brand has absolutely no affordable models to buy at this time.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Bburago still has the license I think. I'm not sure how long it will last.
Also there are many details about the license: exclusivity, scale, sealed versus open, etc.

Like at the moment, Bburago seems to have the exclusive 1:18 licence, but BBR (using Almost Real factory) is finalizing the F12 tdf, and at the same time many resin companies are making 1:18 Ferrari's. So sublicense from Bburago?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I had such high hopes when Bburago got the license and they've done almost nothing with it...Considering that Ferrari is at an all-time high in popularity I doubt there's no interest or market for affordable diecast models for both collectors and toys, but alas, Bburago/Maisto just doesn't seem interested. Or maybe they hold some weird license where they can make only some cars and/or Ferrari just wants only some cars to be diecast while the rest to remain expensive resin versions... who knows... All I know is I don't like it, lol...

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
What was the time limit for the bBurago/Ferrari licence?
Does anyone know?
And it has been mentioned before on various threads, the copyright on 'shape' is 25 years.
Any Ferrari before 1993 can be reproduced, although it might not be permitted to call it a Ferrari.....

·
Automotive Engineer
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are definitely missing out on quite a few Ferrari's based on their production releases in the past couple years that I would love to have in my collection. BBR's prices are just too entirelhy high to justify a purchase.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Adding to this old thread because I haven't really found the answer I'm looking for, and I didn't want to start a new thread....

There's a big gap in the mid-range, $100~300, that I'm hoping some one will fill when it comes to modern day Ferrari.

Maisto/Bburago has the low-end, and then the next step is the premium resin models $400+. That's a big gap. It took Hotwheels a long time to churn out decent quality models really worthy of the Elite tag, it seems Bburago has a long way to go based on what I've seen online. (In fairness, I have not seen a Bburago Signature model in person).

I'm happy to see entry level resin brands creating some interesting cars, but it seems they are only making classic cars and modified cars, nothing modern.

BBR has the diecast F12 TDF, and interesting enough, I can't find any mention of partnership with BBR and Maisto/Bburago on the box. We all have Kyosho Ferrari with both Kyosho and Hotwheels' logo on the box, right?

Can someone explain the details of the Ferrari license exclusivity? Is it tied to material choice? (diecast vs resin). Is it tied to car model year? (classic vs modern).

I'd love to see modern Ferrari models in the mid-range, weather it's diecast/resin/sealed/whatever, in 1/18.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Looksmart 1/18s are mid range, the problem is their 1/18 lineup is rather lacking. Their main range currently is 1/43.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Can someone explain the details of the Ferrari license exclusivity? Is it tied to material choice? (diecast vs resin). Is it tied to car model year? (classic vs modern).
I was wondering about this once, as Hasbro/TakaraTOMY were unable to reproduce the Ferrari 458 Italia for a figure in their Studio Series line of movie Transformers figures, where nearly all of the cars to date were licensed from the manufacturer. It turns out that TakaraTOMY have a line of Ferraris under their Tomica line of diecast cars, but take a look at the copyright information at the bottom of the page.

Produced under license of M.C.G.: Maisto and Bburago.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'd just like to echo how disappointing it is that maisto/bburago seem to be squandering this license. The SF90, Roma, Pista and others are being made in 1/24 but not 1/18. I'd kill for those in budget range to use for the base of customs

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well GT spirit’s been making older (to me) Ferrari models like the f40 f50. Looks promising. I always wondered what happened to their 458 liberty walk but I would prefer a stock 458 nowadays

·
Administrator
33,543 Posts
Well GT spirit’s been making older (to me) Ferrari models like the f40 f50. Looks promising. I always wondered what happened to their 458 liberty walk but I would prefer a stock 458 nowadays
I had a GT Spirit Liberty Walk 458. I sold it when prices went crazy. I had the Aventador too, I sold that when prices on those went mad too.

The AutoArt 458 Libery walk was withdrawn, apparently they showed it a Toy Fair and a Ferrari rep handed them a writ to remove it (so I heard)

·
Registered
48 Posts
i'm hoping to see a diecast f50 thats not on the lower end or extreme high end. gt spirit is the only option under $200 but its sealed resin. hell if it was sealed diecast i might consider it even more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts