DiecastXchange Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
My first choice would be for Norev to make a lot from the 1950s and 60s.
I think that GT Spirit did a great job on the 288 GTO and F50. I'd love to see them make the Enzo, the Mattel is inaccurate and the BBRs are too expensive and rare.
Not Autoart, they would use getting the Ferrari license as yet another excuse to jack up prices.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I'm on 2 thoughts. On one hand, I miss a lot the price quality ratio of HWE and Kyosho Ferrari models. So I salute any fully opening Ferrari model with a quality equal to HWE or above.

On the other hand, for me 95% of the most interesting Ferrari models have all been made, and I don't like the busy styling of the modern Ferraris after 458 / F12. So the urge for me to add another Ferrari model has been decreasing.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I'm on 2 thoughts. On one hand, I miss a lot the price quality ratio of HWE and Kyosho Ferrari models. So I salute any fully opening Ferrari model with a quality equal to HWE or above.

On the other hand, for me 95% of the most interesting Ferrari models have all been made, and I don't like the busy styling of the modern Ferraris after 458 / F12. So the urge for me to add another Ferrari model has been decreasing.
Kyosho was great back in the days eh. Their old Ferrari and Lamborghini lines were still one of the best hardly anyone can top them today still. I think their greatest sin is not making a road going version of 550/575M considering they had made the race version. :)

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
I feel the need to point out (again!) that any design more than 25 years old can be used for model replicas among other things.
KK do some nice sealed diecast Ferrari models, but you will not see any such branding on the packaging.
In most cases this also apples on Norev releases - apart form specifically appointed Mercedes Benz items.
However, Norev do have official labels stuck somewhere on the boxes, and perhaps this is the restriction.
Norev are a French company, and it may be the rules are different to Germany, where the KK owners are based.
Then there's the possibility that the holding organisations are registered somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. :>)

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I feel the need to point out (again!) that any design more than 25 years old can be used for model replicas among other things.
KK do some nice sealed diecast Ferrari models, but you will not see any such branding on the packaging.
In most cases this also apples on Norev releases - apart form specifically appointed Mercedes Benz items.
However, Norev do have official labels stuck somewhere on the boxes, and perhaps this is the restriction.
Norev are a French company, and it may be the rules are different to Germany, where the KK owners are based.
Then there's the possibility that the holding organisations are registered somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. :>)
IP rights are jurisdictional indeed, but relate to both manufacturing and selling. So although Norev is based in France and KK in Germany, they both need to sell in various countries, and thus fullfil the local IP law.

Regarding the design right, trademark and copy right, it's quite complex and case law progresses. I looked into this a while ago and I found that there seems to be a difference between sealed and fully opening model. When it's sealed, then it can be considered as a toy, and thus possibly circumvent the design right of the 1:1 car. Maybe that could be the reason why KK is outputting so many sealed models besides cost consideration.

Here is a landmark case law regarding Opel model car

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Is it likely that Autoart will ever attain, or Kyosho REgain the license and fill that hole.
Maybe I'm confused, but I thought I read somewhere that only Mattel was licensed to produce Ferrari models at the time, and would then sub-license those rights to other companies such as Kyosho?

Anyway, I think AA would be obviously capable of delivering some great Ferrari models, but as already mentioned above, at what cost? Most AA models I want nowadays are way over my budget, so their Ferraris would be inaccessible to me.

I can't think of Norev as a Ferrari model maker, they just don't have - or don't care to develop - the finesse to make exotic cars in scale, like Mattel did back when. They'd most likely make them sealed, and there's already too much of that on offer from other makers.

Now Kyosho, do they even make their own models anymore? To me, they're synonymous with paint rash, so I wouldn't be too excited to hear of them making Ferraris again.

Another player could be Minichamps, I think they're well able for the task. Although I think they'd also make them sealed...

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Regarding the design right, trademark and copy right, it's quite complex and case law progresses

My reference to the design issue is not mine, I'm just repeating what I have read and heard.
I recently posted a link to the Solido question and answer youtube clip, and the issue of replicas was covered.
I will see if I can find the part of the video, but it's on their channel.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts