DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and the only non-Ron Fellows C5R that I would be happy to put in my collection. I think Boris is one of the best drivers out there and he's always been teamed with one of my all-time fave drivers....Hans Stuck.

I also was very much overjoyed when both Earnhardt's drove the C5R at Daytona in 2001. I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I do like Dale Jr and I was always a fan of his dad. This is sucha cool pairing for this race and I really do hope we see more of Little "E" in this car(be it a year old).

BTW-he and Said are in 3rd at Infineon so far in times.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Is it me or does anyone else think ACTION's C5-R has its front wheels more recessed into the wheelwell than AUTOart's? :confused :confused

:feedback

Mike - nice pic of the #8. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DiecastX said:
Looks like its going to offered by Action. More than likely using the same mold as previous C5R's.

eBay Link
I love this:
"...limited edition (6,000 produced subject to change)..."

:lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Do they go ahead and make the diecast run, even if the car never raced?

"Dale Earnhardt Jr. Suffers Moderate Burns in Sunday's Accident at Sonoma

SONOMA, CA - DALE EARNHARDT, JR. SUFFERS MODERATE BURNS IN SUNDAY MORNING ACCIDENT AT SONOMA

Race driver Dale Earnhardt, Jr., suffered moderate burns Sunday morning when the car he was driving was involved in an accident and caught fire while practicing for the American Le Mans Series Infineon Grand Prix of Sonoma at Infineon Raceway.

Earnhardt suffered what track medical officials described as "moderate-sized burns of moderate intensity" in the facial area and lower extremities. For precautionary reasons, he was transported by air to the University of California-Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, Calif.

Earnhardt was driving a Chevrolet Corvette C5-R in a 30-minute practice session when the accident occurred. The car spun and impacted a barrier in the Turn 8 section of the road racing track and then caught fire. Earnhardt quickly exited the car on his own and was then assisted by safety crews.

Earnhardt, who regularly competes in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, was scheduled to co-drive in today's American Le Mans Series sports car race with veteran road racing driver Boris Said. The team has withdrawn the car from the race."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the model has already went to production... I don't see them holding back on releasing them. Gotta recoup that money from somewhere.

Chances are, some won't care if the car raced or not, they'll just want a new liveried C5R with Jr's name on it.

Sounds like Jr got the worse end of that deal, hope he's fine.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That's a bummer what happened to Jr. I hope the burns healed quickly. I;m curious about the lower extremities being burned. Aren't the racing suits, shoes, etc. all made with Nomex to prevent burns? I know parts of the face are exposed but I thought the other parts of the body are covered/protected?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's where the "subject to change" rule gets invoked. LE of 10,000 Earnhardt practice cars! Customizers will do up some crash damaged versions to auction on ebay and KFC will do commemorative buckets of extra crispy chicken. :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
:crying I can't believe this...

I was really hoping to find a "just joking" somewhere along Jim's post. :crying

So no lil E., huh?

Edit: Just saw it. Very scary moments. Glad things will be okay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just saw the crash and Jr inside :scared

Looked like he was covered in flames from the on board camera.

I'm glad he kept his head and was still aware enough to get out of the car.

Racing is hell...even if its practice.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I've just seen this listed at www.torontomotorsports.com for C$119.99 (~US$91). Anyone planning on buying one off eBay or any other place?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought about it, but that mold isn't worth a penny more than $35 :mine These are going double/triple for what the AUTOart C5R's and with only a fraction of the details. Takes more than a short skirt and pretty smile to separate me from my money :lol

I think I will wait awile, I'm hopeful the price will drop.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
DiecastX said:
I thought about it, but that mold isn't worth a penny more than $35 :mine These are going double/triple for what the AUTOart C5R's and with only a fraction of the details. Takes more than a short skirt and pretty smile to separate me from my money :lol

I think I will wait awile, I'm hopeful the price will drop.
Thanks for your thoughts especially about the lack of details.

I took a quick 2nd look at the ACTION model and noticed a bunch of discrepancies:

- "GTS" door logo in wrong spot
- Sunoco decal on door should not be against white background
- front wheel louvres are wrong colour (should be black, nopt yellow)
- should be opening immediately above the front air splitter
- missing class position LED lights by door
- missing side mirror camera (I think it's a camera)
- front door pillar should be black not yellow

These are just the big things that jump out immediately. I'm sure there are more. :scared

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where did that stick go, I need to beat this dead horse one more time :giggle

Without all the other things you mentioned, the front spoiler is the first thing I noticed when looking at this model as its the same as the old mold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Yes on both acct's. I have the #2 1999 car and it really looks bad next to all my AUTOart's.

It does still fetch more than I paid or it, but not nearly as much as the AUTOart version. I will be parting with mine as soon as I get the AUTOart version of this car. :cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts