DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aware all three manufacturers offer versions of this car.

Do you have one? Are you happy with it, compared to what you paid? In hindsight, would you have purchase one of the other brands? Have you swapped for a different brand of the FW14?

I'm current experience with Exoto is not great. A 'damaged' box sale XJ9R Prototype, which has slightly blunted my views on the company. The FW14B they do looks stunning. Is it stunning and flawless in person, for the money? The Quatzro is opening. Is that as detailed as the Exoto? Or more-so worth the money?

What about the Minichamps offering?

:feedback :cheers

G

·
I will get the exoto but will wait until they model the car correctly. For the german gp version that rear wing is wrong, wrong, wrong!

·
Registered
62 Posts
in my opinion, it's simply a question of just 'how much you do you like the Fw14B' - i.e. are you willing to spend ~$300 for the highly detailed Exoto. It's no doubt lightyears better than the other 2 as far as the detail.
I would not judge exoto solely on your experience with the Jag. It comes from the 'budget' motorbox line and is not really comparble to the latest exoto grand prix classics. By most accounts the exoto FW14B is spectacular...

The recently released minichamps car *I think* is the FW14 from 1991 (not mansell's Champ year) just in case this is important to you, although there is very little visual difference. I've always been pleased with minchamps...its probably the better pick of the two lesser expensive models - the quartzo looks a bit clunky to me, and the driver's helmet seems a bit out proportion (too small) to the car. The engine cover is also removable on the minichamps by the way...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would say go with the Exoto only if your budget offers. Otherwise, I would consider the other ones instead. First of all the Exoto doesn't have a driver figurine, so that would be a big minus in my opinion plus I think it's too expensive ($250+).

The Quartzo is the actual FW14B from the winning year and has like a little diorama in its box, a nice touch.

The Minichamps, you can get the Mansell/Senna taxi FW14 for same price as the FW14 so I would get that unless you don't like it (which I don't know why anyone wouldn't). Their FW14 is also from '91 just like the Taxi model, so it's not from the winning year.

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. The FW14 was the car I started following when I first got into Formula 1. Even had a poster of it on my wall. The Mansell car was favoured, as Nigel was a fellow country man. I'll need to research back to get the correct year model for my first year of following the sport, Nigel, and Williams.

The budget would allow for Exoto, if they made the correct model I'm after. Guess I need to look into it a little more to get the one I'm after. If Exoto offer that model, I will get it. The Taxi model does look really cool though.

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Agree on the taxi. It's a superb model.
Wait on the exoto car if you really want one. As I said, that rear wing is a high downforce wing, not the single plane low drag wing run at the German gp that year.
In time I'm sure exoto will do a correct version. Until then I will hang on to my money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
And I third the comments about the Mansell / Senna taxi - it's a great looking car!

And, considering it's got removable engine and front suspension covers, it's very reasonably priced in comparison to the other (mainly "sealed bodywork") F1 cars in the Minichamps range.

By the way, according to the last Diecast Legends catalogue, once their stock of the taxi model runs out (which I'm not sure if that's happened yet) the price of their "stand alone" Mansell FW14's are said to rise slightly when new stock arrives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.