DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you show your models in a presentation?
Yes, why not.2240.74%
Never.611.11%
It depends on many things ...2648.15%

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few hours before I took back home my models from a model car presentation taking place in our town. The presentation was in occasion of something like "child´s day" taking place in all larger towns in my country this weekend.
I did not pay for showing but I also did not get any money for showing. It was just to show my models to public. I have there 33 models which are the best from my 99-car collection (CMC, Exotos, GMP, Highway, Kyoshos, Minichamps, AAs).

Nothing happened to my models during the show but when transporting them in a car, some of them have small scraps in paint and decals (I did not transport them in tehir boxes but only put them into the car but I was really very carefull). Nothing terrible but it takes me some time to fix it. Therefore my feeling is not good from showing my models outside from their "garrage" in my flat. Therefore, if you will be asked for showing your models, packed it very carefully during transportation.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I would only do it depending on the circumstances of the show (how the models would be displayed). I would only allow it if they were displayed in sealed glass boxes and it was in a safe environment.

G

·
Did you allow any of the spectators to handle the models?

I think its a great gesture as you may have given some of the folks there a idea of adding a model of their 1:1 car, therefore a new collector may be born from all of this. :cheers

G

·
Showing your models to the public is a great way to introduce new people to the hobby. However, I think I would go about it in a slightly different way.

Every year I participate in a few local model train shows, where I bring some of my trains and buildings to run and just to show off. I have many locomotives that are in the $1k+ range and those aren't the ones that I would bring. People, especially kids aren't interested in prices and electronic gadgetry. All they want to see are running trains. For this reason I only bring my cheaper ($500 locos) equipment, and I always bring the same trains to all the shows. Combined with the other members' stuff and spread out over the 60x40 foot space, who can really tell.

If I went to a model car show, I would bring only a manageable number of models, probably around 10-15 and I would bring mostly budget models like Hot Wheels Ferrari's and Ertl Muscle cars because that's what most people are interested in and no great harm gets done if an accident happens. I would also bring one Exoto or CMC in it's box to show to those more interested what else is available. :cheers
My :mine worth

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
YES!!! I have been part of a model club in my city (Christchurch, New Zealand) and we put on several displays each year. They are set up on tables with a fence so that people cannot reach the models (most of the time!!). We also man the tables so that people can ask us questons and we can keep an eye on the models. Every 2 years we have our own model show and display hundreds of models, mostly cars and diecast. We also hold an anual competition (open to the public in the afternoons) and are invited to a huge model train show (10 000 visitors) and two annual shows; The Classic Car Show and Wigram Classics (cars and warbird aircraft).
In the time I have been involved (last 3 years) only 1 model has gone missing (presumed stolen) and there have been a few occassions when a model has been damaged in transport or when setting up. In my opinion, the risk is worth it to show the general public what we do. Some of my models have had things like wing mirror and antennae broken. We put on displays with over 200 1:18th scale models at times, with very few problems overall. Some of the models on display are rare (all my Mclarens, limited edition Skylines, a fellow club members 1:12 GMP GT40 and also CMC models) or valuble, but things are OK as long as everything is well supervised. One club memeber also statys overnight if there is no security guards for the event.

my $2 worth.

thanks

Peter :cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I would love to do it, but like the other guys mentioned I would have to be happy that the security at the event would be adequate to ensure my models did not get damaged and I would think bringing a select few models would be the way to go overall. :cheers

G

·
I have been to a few shows here in Perth but have not shown my own cars.

Not to say i wouldn't but i am in the careful camp.

The shows i have been too have all been well organised with good security.

:cheers

Timbo.

G

·
I would show them, but there would be concerns over people touching them. I wouldn't like that at all! I try not to touch them too much.

G

·
Yes I did, but it cost me a repair of two handbuilt F1 cars, when the suitcase tumbled down from the seat of my car. :cry They are still in the repair shop.

G

·
I would, but not a large number of them. When I was a kid, I used to bring a bunch of my hand built plastic models to model shows/contests/etc. I'd love to share some of my diecasts with people...but stictly on a non-handling basis. Look...but ya can't touch!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I certainly would, but under certain conditions.

1. The cars must be protected from the envirnoment. Whether that be a glass case, a sheet of perspex etc. or simply a space that has no dust.

2. The cars must be out of reach of curious hands. I have no problem with showing my collection, but they are not to be handled. I am pretty sure that we all would insist on this if we showed our cars/bikes etc.

3. They are secured against theft or breakage. The issue of theft probably worries me the most. Insurance only goes so far - for that really rare peice, if it broken or harmed, being financially compensated does not return the car, nor does it guarantee that you can actually find a replacement.

4. That I was the only person to touch/move/display/transport the cars. As many people don't have the same regard for model cars as we do, they are less likely to take those extra steps to ensure the collection stays in top condition, and is not damaged. Of course, this doesn't guarantee against accidents - they are just part of the risk of showing your pride and joys to the public.

So basically, if I was there to watch over the collection at all times, and be there to answer questions etc. then sure, I have no problem in showing my cars. I may be ultra cautious and probably a bit over the top with my conditions, but as many of us can attest, a good diecast car collection doesn't come cheap, is in many ways irreplaceable, and has tremendous emotional value.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Anders, just yesterday I recieved an inquiry about the possibility of I displaying my pieces at a mall, for father's day. I explained those exact same points to the person, but they backed out when I said I would need insurance or some kind of guarantee.

G

·
I agree with Anders .

I have no problem showing my cars , but it would have to be under MY agreed conditions.
Security would be the main issue . As Anders said , you get emotionally attached to cars , I do anyway , and worrying about wandering hands or worse , wandering models , would be my main concern .

Insurance cover and a secure display area are must haves as Im a firm believer in the saying "theres always someone who wants your stuff more than you do ".
Unfortunately , thats a fact of life these days .

Luciano...maybe you could ask for some armed security guards......just a thought :giggle

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Luciano, it seems strange doesn't it? They ask you if you would be intersted in showing your cars. You state "yes", but with certain conditions that must be put in place to protect your investments/property, and suddenly they get cold feet!? While the risk is all yours in showing your cars, the moment you ask for some sort of protection from that risk, they run screaming. It's nothing less than they would ask if they were in your situation... :confused

Gary, I am completely emotionally attched to my collection. Some of them are extraordinarily hard to find nowadays, and each model usually has a history behind it - how/where/when you got it etc. If they were to 'go wandering' while displayed in a collection/presentation, I would be livid, and pity the poor soul who took it if I found out who they were! :nutkick

When my girlfriend wants to wind me up, she threatens to use my cars in the sandpit, to play 'broom-broom cars' with.... :box

I don't rise to it anymore, because I've taken the bait too many times... :giggle

So Luciano, if they didn't come to the 'party', so to speak, by promising security and protection for your collection, then I would argue they don't really care for your property at all, and just wanted to something to display with no risk to themselves.

G

·
Old as the previous post may be, it certainly had me chuckling.
When I was actively involved with Castrol's motoraddicts site and doing promos for new members at various car shows I had a similar scenario.
At the time the Bugatti thing was big news with C and the stands were all made up with monster Veyron boards and the whole shootin' match. And yours truly had to do promo speeches to the audience and Bugattitude became a garagehold name at car shows.Lolol
On one occasion I offered to display my Bug colleco, but obviously under my conditions.
The hooha that followed on insurance liabilities, damage liability,display cases and what not all , eventually had me keeping my little cars exactly where they belong. At home and safe. Wise decision ! :giggle
Rather display them here. Much nicer and less risky !

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
A friend of mine works for a company used by attorneys as "expert witnesses" in vehicle accident. My friend goes to the location and takes hundreds of pics, then another department recreates several stages of the accident in scale. I have been to their facility and it is mind-blowing the amount of models they have-several warehouses full. Due to the sensitive nature (some scenes have scale bodies and many "trade secrets") I was not able to take pictures. Talk about using models in a presentation!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've never shown my models before, as i'm a new collector and don't have much of a collection yet. But I plan to in the future. I think that models are meant to be appreciated and that rarely happens when they are on shelves in my room or packed up in boxes. The whole reason that I collect is so I, and other car-lovers, can appreciate them, both as representations of the 1:1 and as beautifully intricate pieces in their own right. A show, provided I could man the table and supervise, is the best venue I can think of for people to see them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts