DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Reading and seeing Jeff's (MP) post on the XJ13 got me thinking. I remember the splash it made when it 1st came out. On Jeff's thread, John (mosteller) wrote that when it was released, he had hopes that AUTOart would upgrade its models to Exoto's level. When pics of the XJ13 started showing up on the web, the most popular rumor at the time in quite a few forums whas exactly that: was AUTOart going to challenge Exoto? It was the 1st model of the Millenium line, and everybody was hoping that finally we would have an alternative to the over-priced E models (at absurds US$ 169,00 back then).

The XJ13 was released in the beginning of 2002. In the same year was released the Z8 and the Bullitt stang, and in 2003 came out the Manta Ray, the 2002 Turbo and the Mach 1 '71 stang. I'm citing these because I own them and am very familiar with them.

If you compare the XJ13 with the Bullitt and the Manta Ray for instance, you'll see that these two are better then the jag. Look at the engine: the jag has molded plastic as plug wires, while the other two have real wires. Even so, you don't see people raving about these two. I think that this happens just because the XJ13 was the 1st. It was the 1st model we had with almost Exoto-like detail level for less then half the price.

So even if the XJ13 is a very good model, subsequent models by AUTOart were even better. Using the Mach '71 as an example, look at the engine. What you got for 60 bucks (price you would pay for the model if you bought it at a diecast store) is the same thing you see in today's models from Lane.

Don't get me wrong, I cherish my XJ13, as a model and representation in scale of one of the most beautiful 1:1 cars ever made. It was the 1st great model by AUTOart, and it paved the way for the brand to become a benchmark of good quality in the hobby.

But is it really the best model they ever released? :feedback

Attachments

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Luc, I really think that the Bullit Mustang is right up there with the best that AUTOart has done.
It never gets much mention but it is a fabulous diecast. There is little or nothing to complain about with it. As a matter of fact, when considering the price and how nice the car is, its pretty much a perfect diecast.
I really don't need and certainly don't want to pay for any more detail than what it has.

My life is no better if cars cost $40 and add a couple of more features. I don't need every car in my collection to be museum quality. The thing that drew me into 1:18 was affordability and good value.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I hope not, because the 787B costs too much in the UK for it not to be close to sublime!

But that aside you make a good point Luc. I have never seen any of the models you mention 'in the flesh', but the Jag often seems to be treated as something of a benchmark as the first model to be released in the series. From your pictures it is good, but not to my mind miles ahead of anything else judging by pictures I have seen.

I noticed in Jeff's thread, for example, that you can see the seams on some of the plastic parts in the engine. I am well aware that this is nitpicking in the extreme but it made me realise that this is not the superior benchmark model that the excitement this model generated might lead you to believe.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good model, but it's not unrivalled, even by other AUTOart models.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well, Luc, I took a second look at the Manta Ray (don't have the others) and the Jag and, by a very slim margin, my opinion is still that the Jag is better. If you will take a second look, you'll notice the Jags fuel injector hoses are molded soft plastic but the plug wires are indivisual wires. On the Manta Ray, the plug wires are individual and a couple hoses are soft rubber, but the radiator hoses and alternator wires are all hard plastic.

Overall though, the quality/detail difference between the two are negligable and we are comparing what is essentially a race car to a show car, somewhat of an apple to an orange. My opinion may reflect my bias toward the race car but, nonetheless, the Jag has the finest sheet aluminum finish of any I've ever seen. :cheers

I havn't seen the 787 in the skin, but at nearly twice the price, I very much doubt that it is nearly twice as good.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, in the engine compartment, the Jag is better. But in the cockpit, I think the Vette takes the crown. The Vette's engine is basically the sameone that UT used on the Mako Shark.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
The 1:18 AUTOart XJ13 is still a very beautiful model....

in my humble opinion... ONE's of AUTOart's best.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree that the interior of the Vette, a show car, is better than that of the Jag, a race car, but this is like comparing an apple to an orange. I challange you to find a better race car interior for the price! :cheers

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Bob, The Mazda is pretty nice but in no way is it even close to being twice as good as the Jag. They added some photo etched parts, a couple of wires and some different colored plastic parts.
Yes, its the best thing thay have ever done but the value part of the equation went right out the window and you are paying dearly for the improvements.
Given a choice, I would much rather have 2 XJ13 type cars than one in the Mazda class.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once agin, sorry for confusing your name Bob. :cheers

I agree with you on this: there is no race car with a better cockpit then the XJ13. But the XJ13 wasn't a race car. It never raced, it was a prototype, just as the Manta Ray. It was goining to be used in Le Mans, and if succesful, it would be the substitute for the XK series. I'm quite sure it was driven less then the Manta Ray before it was destroyed, since it was almost a clandestine project and not totally sanctioned by Jaguar's upper management.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
This thread has been something of an eye-opener for me. All of the models being discussed (other than the 787B) were released long before I started collecting (in diecast years at least) and I've never seen anything but pictures of them. From the legendary status the XJ13 has, I had always assumed that nothing else AUTOart produced from that period came close to matching it for detail and quality, but now I see that's not the case. It makes their actions over the past year all the more disheartening.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I think that the XJ13 is better than the two Mustang because there are less mistakes with it than the Mustangs. Some of the detail may not be using the best methods, but at least they are more correct.

The Bullitt has the wrong engine altogether as AUTOart used the 4V-4.6 from the Cobra and not the correct 2V-4.6 that GTs had- a big blunder in my book.

The '71, as well built as it is (one of my top 3 favs) is full of flaws. I know, the wrong chrome bumper had been debated to death, but when have you seen a battery with both post on one side? Or a 1st gen Mustang with carpet in the trunk or rear deck?

There are at least 27 small thing wrong with it, but then again, I have been crawling around 71-73 Mustangs for around 24 years. :giggle

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
AUTOart should have hired you on as a consultant during their design stage. :wink It surprises me that with all the photos that must exist of the engine bay that AUTOart could have made so many "opbvious" mistakes. I mean those aren't mistakes made for cost-cutting reasons are they? :confused

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.