DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The DB2/4 MKIII (also known as the DB MKIII and sometimes mistaken for the DB3) was introduced in 1957 and built until 1959, when it was replaced by the DB4. Of the 551 built, only 84 were drop tops like this one. A little known fact about the DB MKIII is that in the original Ian Fleming book Goldfinger, James Bond actually drove one. When the film came out in 1964, the more up to date DB5 was used, making film history.

The model, released by Yat Ming earlier this month is the latest in their line of cars that probably won't appeal to a huge audience out there, which I respect. Not just because I really like having more Astons! :yes

The model alone isn't going to sell on quality alone either, especially when you look at some of the other cars coming out in th same price range from the likes of Minichamps and Maisto. In short, it's quite a lot of chrome and not that much detail. It's not that often that I notice poor build quality either, but when you open the bonnet you can see a large piece of chrome (complete with serial number) exposing the rear of the grill. It also looks like a 1:1 scale Italian welding job behind the lights on mine but that's a sort of detail you have to actively look for to notice.

The main thing this model has going for it is its charm. Earlier I said this won't attract the big money, but the people that it will attract will reall appreciate this model. As an Aston fan, this model was a no brainer, and I can't say I'm sorry to own it at all. My collection now has a DB MKIII model, which in spite of it's flaws isn't a bad model at all. They've captured the feel of the original very well.

What I feel is missing now is a good DB4 model, we have the Zagato version, now I'd like the standard one. Here's hoping Yat Ming do many more. :cheers

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My main seller has these two in his inventory now. I am going to order the silver. I only have one issue. In the other posting on these AM's by Diecast247, the silver one also shows a black convertible cover. I'm debating whether to leave the cover the tan/cream colour or paint it flat black.

·
Registered
269 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I laugh, because the first thing I thought about replying with when I started reading this post was to mention that when mine arrives, (ordered yesterday), I will be painting the Cover Flat Black! I see I am not alone in that idea!

The Photos here are Awesome! Great "Pair" shots too... big Aston fan here.

Grant

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I just googled this model to see if the full size car existed in these colour combinations. I was only able to find one example of the red with the black cover. I was hoping to find the silver but I after looking at the first 2 pages I gave up. The leads get scarcer and less specific after that so I can only assume that the silver did exist. I am going to paint it. I think the black looks better on the silver.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just googled this model to see if the full size car existed in these colour combinations. I was only able to find one example of the red with the black cover. I was hoping to find the silver but I after looking at the first 2 pages I gave up. The leads get scarcer and less specific after that so I can only assume that the silver did exist. I am going to paint it. I think the black looks better on the silver.
[post="554785"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Closest thing I found on line was this picture. And with those Taillights, I do not think it is a Series III

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yes the tail lights are different from the Mk III. Looks like the interior may be all black. I'll still paint my cover. I know it may not be authentic but I'm tempted to paint the whole interior black and grey or silver. Personally I would never have a tanned or cream interior if I had a choice. Too many my diecast have tan interiors, mainly my Ferrari's and its boring.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Finally was able to find the silver one
After months of digging through the pile and only finding red ones I greabbed the only silver one. I agree 100% that the convertible boot needs to be painted black.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.