DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few quick pics and a thumbnail review of one of the most anticipated new models from Yat Ming in '06 - the 1966 Olds Toronado.

You've got to give these guys credit where credit is due. They've been stepping up to the plate in a big way to deliver images of well-loved, otherwise ignored American cars at working-man prices. And, based on this model's overall excellence, I'm hoping it's a trend they continue.

The model, available in Ebony black with a burgundy interior, or in Trumpet Gold with a black cabin, is so big and so danged well done that it was a case of love at first sight. No, it's not a feature boat - in fact, only the hood and doors open (the latter on real-aspect hinges - nice) - but the finish and presence of Olds' front driver is here in spades, and that more or less makes up for any dearth of finger fun.

The 385-horse 425cid motor is a full casting painted silver, with a baby blue twin-toot air cleaner and a neat appliqué up top. It's wired, too, and built up nicely for the dough. Same with the cabin; even if the dash is a little chromey, the overall rep of the flat-floored interior and the big seats is a nice effort that should please all but hardcore aficionados of the big Rocket.

Chassis detailing is about what you'd expect from a car that'll tag for around twenty bucks in the real world. One of the nicer notes to look forward to (aside from the fact that the grille and side marker lights will be paint detailed in production) is the inclusion of gen-u-ine flip-up headlights, activated by a toggle under the Toro's nose.

My favorite parts? The overall shape and accuracy of the car's body and road wheels. Every tumblehome and wheel arch looks great, with only the width of the tires and the ride height in question. Truth be told, after a trip to the archives, the height may be closer to correct than I first thought.

In a nutshell: a sweet model, a beloved subject, and a car I'll be proud to display. The build quality is top notch at this price point, and the path this manufacturer has taken has me thinking that I can't wait for that Starfire…. or DeSoto…. or….

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I cant say that I have seen much of this car on any forum, but it looks realy good the purple interior looks stunning with the black paint of the car. I got to say that I love it :coolpics :cheers ..

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Wow! Is YM going to be the Revelation Brand of 2006, like Solido was in 2005? Man, that is great! :nicejob
Thanks for the pics and review Joe! :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Looks like they might well be - they've got a great lineup scheduled to be released this year, and it looks like they're doing a very good job on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being that this is a pre production model, the question is will it get better or worse by the time it makes it to production?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I'm thinking better, D. They seem to be listening to suggestions about blacking out grilles and detailing stuff. We'll see...

BTW, the Trumpet Gold model will have tampos just above the headlights to simulate the "vents" styled into the car. They'd be a visual wash on the black model, so they won't be seen in production.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.