DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will you buy any more 1:18 Hot Wheels? (Except Ferraris)
Nope 2133.33%
I might if I really want a certain model(s)2234.92%
Neutral711.11%
A few more wouldnt hurt23.17%
Yes, theres nothing wrong with a HW for the price1117.46%

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Considering desire, shelf space, and money Hot Wheels has turned up in the gutter in my opinion. I have a total of 12 of these models and almost feel jipped.

I know this subject is outplayed. I cant help but speak up.
An avg new Hot Wheels goes for $18 at walmart or target. With detail comprable to Motor Max (one of the worst in the business) I expect more. I feel that I work too hard to waist my money on these models. So from now on Im taking an Oath to never waiste any of my money on this corporation. Who's with me!? (Unless the model is a Ferrari :giggle ) :mine :waiting

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My disappointment in the 360 Stradale yielded my last purchase of a Hot Wheels model...Period

With the Hot Wheels brand, you know what your geting ahead of time. However, when you get less than what you knowingly expect, the line has to be draw somewhere. I drew it at the arrival of the 360 Stradale.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that manufacturers want to keep costs down and profits up, nothing wrong with that as it is a business. But when we get a item like what Hot Wheels has granted us in the 360 Stradale, thats enough for me to put foot down and yell hell no. I'm particularly upset as I wanted this model for quite sometime. It was a must have for me when I saw listed as future release. I got less than what I was expecting, and in trutfulness, I wasn't expecting much as I knew it was a Hot Wheels brand. :badidea

Ever so often, a manufacturer of the budget models will give us an excellent product for the money, a product that exceeds the market price, speaking specifically of Maisto. I think I will throw my monies at their products as I know what to expect, and often in times get more than what I expect from them. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DiecastX
My disappointment in the 360 Stradale yielded my last purchase of a Hot Wheels model...Period
Well put. I never thought I would say this but Im reconsidering the Stradale after what you said. :confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know there are a lot of Ferrari collectors, who must have every Ferrari ever made, so I wouldn't talk them out of it based on my personal disappointment. But as I mentioned in my other post detailing my last Hot Wheels purchase, be forewarned about the stripe. :badidea

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
stoopid stradale sticka....
unless there are cars which i really really want from them(Black Enzo wif a proper paint job and a 288GTO)... i probably will spend my $$$ elsewhere...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to get a Hot Wheels price with an Exoto quality, but that's not gonna happen. Unless they step up and produce quality diecasts (not just a "nice" paint job, I want details also), they won't see a penny from me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I like my Hot Wheels Ferraris... I waited for the 166 MM for an eternity, I havent looked closely at my 360 Stradale (I will now), but I think they are ok for the price. I dont think they are any better or worse that your typical Ertl ( I know, I know) but Im not that hard to please, plus I detail a lot of my stuff, and the basics are there with both brands, supra. I also have Hot Wheels Dodge Charger, and my biggest gripe was when I took the headers off it to paint and put on another car, the Testors paint wouldnt stick to the plastic...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Generally I feel Hotwheels products sell more by their established name (Im sure many of us collected (and still collect) the 1:64s) than actual quality and the detail that is expected of a 1:18 scale model in this day and time. They are not exactly priced bargain basement, especially when considered to modern day Maistos which have much more detail and are more accurate representaions. This is especially concering where I live, in Singapore, where the price of one Hotwheels model (whether is the Enzo, 360 Stradale or Quattroporte) command almost 50% more money than primiere edition Maisto models, including the likes of the Carrera GT and well-detailed models such as the SL500. I recently bought the Hot Wheels Stradale myself, and really like the car itself but the model does not quite stand up to it...This is my first Hot Wheels, and unless i deeply like a particular Ferrari that is only made by them i will avoid them and stick to paying more for Kyosho's older Ferraris which i appreciate just as much as any Ferrari.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I always remember that Mattel is a toy company and not a model company.
Their market is selling their cars in the toy isle.
Plus, I never blame them too much for the poor quality Ferraris, I blame the money grabbing managment of Ferrari.
They new what kind of product Mattel makes when they signed the deal.
Plus I am sure they have an approval process and are giving the OK to these cars.

Also, if Big Lots has another $10 Hot Wheels sale I can pretty much bet that I will pick some up. :giggle

·
Registered
923 Posts
In the UK, Hot Wheels's models cost as much as Maisto's own and I always feel shortchanged when I buy a Hot Wheels model - usually the lack of detail or poor fitting parts spoil the model.

Is the stripe on the 360 CS model really that bad? Does it peel easily? :feedback

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Nope not even their Ferrari's!!! I was tempted recently by their Maserati Quattroporte but it was stupidly expensive here in my local shop so I passed on it. Mattel of course is a toy company but when they announced their exclusive Ferrari deal and "collectors" standard 1:18th range I think I for one gave them the benefit of the doubt. However, the first efforts they made were subpar, and instead of trying to raise their game as other newcomers have done (Welly being a good example) they have more or less given up and are cranking out the same old crap and some novelty items as they are easy to make I guess! (Hard to quibble about inaccuracies on things like the 1989 Batmobile as the "real thing" is just a glassfibre mock up on a 70s Chevy Impala frame!!!

The Kyosho sublicense for some new Ferrari models was a welcome relief from the torrent of crap from Mattel, as is the news that Exoto and BBR are going to be bringing us some high quality Ferraris as well (at a price...) and someday hopefully we will see AUTOart being allowed to update and rerelease models such as the UT 550's and 355's and also release AUTOart quality 360s, Testarossas, 288GTOs and so on! Plus some great classic Ferraris too!!! One can live in hope!!! :lol

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
It has to be a very special model that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY ELSE produces. In that case I'll consider.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
LUW said:
It has to be a very special model that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY ELSE produces. In that case I'll consider.
:iagree I suppose then I might consider one, but it would have to be a big improvement on what they are making now!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Ronan said:
...someday hopefully we will see AUTOart being allowed to update and rerelease models such as the UT 550's and 355's and also release AUTOart quality 360s, Testarossas, 288GTOs and so on!
:waiting :drool

My first rule is NEVER to buy anything but Ferraris if I'm buying HWs. Even at that, I'm picky. If BL had the 288 GTO or 575M or 456M for $10, I might buy one. However, if I had definite news that AUTOart or Kyosho were releasing 360s and and 550s and so on, I'd tell Hot Wheels to kiss my @$$.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
If a Hot Wheels car is priced decently, I'll certainly consider it....for SM Jr. :giggle

He's only 10 yrs old and a car nut with about 20 diecasts. I'm not planning on buying him any AAs or UTs anytime soon. That's where I'm thankful for Hot Wheels & Maisto models being more on the "value" side.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
StygianMax said:
If a Hot Wheels car is priced decently, I'll certainly consider it....for SM Jr. :giggle

He's only 10 yrs old and a car nut with about 20 diecasts. I'm not planning on buying him any AAs or UTs anytime soon. That's where I'm thankful for Hot Wheels & Maisto models being more on the "value" side.
I don't know, Maisto is a value budget model, but Hot Wheels? You pay the same thing as for a Maisto but you take home less quality. A lot less, in fact.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll only get their F1 Ferrari's and Renault's as they aren't really done by anyone else(the Universal Hobbies Renault driver helmets look a little too Mark Kelso to me). And besides, with the addition of proper tobacco decals they become Mike Wilson models-not Hot Wheels's. :happy :cheers :cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts